DOOM 3 / New NVIDIA Drivers

Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a GeForce FX
5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is night and day
compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly better. Anyone else
notice this?

"Robertjr" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in
<2EAPc.7007$9Y6.3056@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:

>Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a
>GeForce FX 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is
>night and day compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly better.
>Anyone else notice this?

DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher level
shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!

"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> "Robertjr" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in
> <2EAPc.7007$9Y6.3056@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:
>
> >Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a
> >GeForce FX 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is
> >night and day compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly better.
> >Anyone else notice this?
> >

> DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
> Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher level
> shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!

Doom3 is OpenGL.

>> >Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a
>> >GeForce FX 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is
>> >night and day compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly better.
>> >Anyone else notice this?
>> >

>> DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
>> Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher level
>> shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!
>
> Doom3 is OpenGL.

LOL

ME

but also insists on having DX9....go figure
i just installed it today and asked me to install 9.0b(i have 9.0c
"ccs" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:ekEPc.232$sh.219@fed1read06...

> "Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> > "Robertjr" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in
> > <2EAPc.7007$9Y6.3056@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:
> >
> > >Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a
> > >GeForce FX 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is
> > >night and day compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly
better.
> > >Anyone else notice this?
> > >

> > DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
> > Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher
level
> > shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!
>
> Doom3 is OpenGL.

GT-Force

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004

DX9 requirement is probably for other things, such as sound, networking,
input and such...
GT

"ccs" <temp@no.com> schreef in bericht news:ekEPc.232$sh.219@fed1read06...

> "Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> > "Robertjr" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in
> > <2EAPc.7007$9Y6.3056@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>:
> >
> > >Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a
> > >GeForce FX 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is
> > >night and day compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly
better.
> > >Anyone else notice this?
> > >

> > DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
> > Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher
level
> > shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!
>
> Doom3 is OpenGL.

OpenGL has its equivalents in instructions that know how to use dx9 capable
hardware.

"Robertjr" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Just updated my drivers. (new driver released July 27th) I have a GeForce
FX
> 5700 128MB Card. For some reason, the graphics quality is night and day
> compared to my old drivers. Doom 3 is particularly better. Anyone else
> notice this?

No I haven't tried latest drivers yet.

What were your previous drivers ?

I can't imagine a driver updated would make doom look any better..

It already looks pretty good to me :D

But I will sure try it later on to see if it makes any difference on FX5200
=D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Jelle wrote:
> "ccs" <temp@no.com> schreef in bericht news:ekEPc.232$sh.219@fed1read06...
>
>>"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message

> better.

>>>DX9 capable cards generally show off better effects...it's because of
>>>Directx9 If a game sees that your card can do it, it will use higher
>
> level
>
>>>shaders..wich lead to greater image quality!
>>
>>Doom3 is OpenGL.
>>

> OpenGL has its equivalents in instructions that know how to use dx9 capable
> hardware.

Doom 3 was written using a custom OpenGL driver with extensions. It's
Carmack's version of OpenGL 2.0. It adds complex shader support, per
pixel lighting, fragment programs, etc, etc, a lot of the same feature
set. The two API's both use the same hardware; the hardware provides a
baseline set of features that the API can implement. However, Doom 3's
OpenGL was able to get many features working in software on older
hardware as well.

>I can't imagine a driver updated would make doom look any better..

Of course it could.

>Bye,
> Skybuck.

OH, OK, now this comment makes sense.