Report: Apple Developing 15-inch Super-Slim MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I really hope this whole "You don't need no stinking DVD drive" thing blows up in Apples face. I am not buying another Apple. No DVD support, no Apple for me.

G

Absolutely the way to go. Hopefully it is power/speed matches the current macPro

I think Apple is trying to isolate itself from the rest of the market. No optical drives to install programs which can be purchased/downloaded from the App Store.

Whether or not this will come back to bite them? We'll see.

My other thought is that the dedicated GPU will be lost if this is as thin as the Airs. That would ruin the Pro's selling point.

G

Not if we lose optical drive and firewire. not everyone lives in unlimited broadband land, and many of us have big investments in firewire drives. only the rich can throw away everything in the interest of innovation.

nadavp3

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I don't need any optical drive.

What I do need is dedicated GPU, this is why I won't buy the new 13" air (13 is my preferred size..) lets hope this one gets a proper GPU ha?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
If they remove the optical drive, makes no sense not to merge the product lines. So the diference between pro and air is that the pro has hdd instead of SSD? shouldnt be the other way around?

either way, removing the optical disc is not a big deal. In the last 4 years, I think I used it once. And if you really need one, there is an external superdrive, not to mention that Mac computers can wirelessly access a DVD drive from a Windows PC or another Mac

G

i remember when Apple was the first to eliminate the floppy drive. Everyone was stunned.

G

apple has always been forward thinking in dropping various media drives at certain times- it pushes the envelope. I'm sure the commenter that won't buy another apple product if they drop the optical drive said the same thing when the original iMac debuted without a floppy drive. lol. i can no longer think of a reason to have an optical drive anymore other than having an external one for those increasingly rare moments. who watches movies on dvds anymore when streaming is so readily available? need to back up? external drives are cheap, small, and everywhere. need to share data? usb drives are cheap and portable. just my 2 cents.

perpetuity

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
[citation][nom]geep[/nom]Not if we lose optical drive and firewire. not everyone lives in unlimited broadband land, and many of us have big investments in firewire drives. only the rich can throw away everything in the interest of innovation.[/citation]

Hopefully we will see this soon: Thunderbolt Firewire

and of course: Thunderbolt *

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
No optical drives means that without a USB key/drive you are in need of an internet connection to install anything... and when we know that more than half people on the planet does not have access to an internet connection... let's hope it will blow up in job's face ^^

cosmoloco

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Disposable media is a waste of resources. Apple is not only saving us from carrying more weight around, but they're also saving the planet! I bought my 15" Macbook Pro on November 1, 2007. I guess it's time for an upgrade.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]I really hope this whole "You don't need no stinking DVD drive" thing blows up in Apples face. I am not buying another Apple. No DVD support, no Apple for me.[/citation]

I haven't used the optical drives in any of my computers (Windows PCs and Macs) for ages.
The last time I used it was to burn a music CD for my car's stereo.
Operating system, applications, games, video, music... u get all of these from the internet these days.

Professionals who need to share large amounts of data with customers still need optical drives, but I can't think of any other reason to have a heavy and bulky optical drive in a laptop.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Apple's backing itself into a corner here by making the MBP into a slimmer version. It would be virtually indistinguishable from the MB Air, and not only that, it also doesn't make sense. If comparing the 2 by its names, then it should be the MBP that should have the SSD, and not the MB Air. What's Apple gonna do with future MBP models?
And there's no way in hell you're making me buy something without an optical drive.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I haven't used the optical drives in any of my computers (Windows PCs and Macs) for ages.
The last time I used it was to burn a music CD for my car's stereo.
Operating system, applications, games, video, music... u get all of these from the internet these days.

And sorry for the double post, but are you suggesting that we pirate? Because I'm pretty sure programs (or apps, whatever floats your boat) are still installed via. discs. I mean, god knows Apple could do with an ego and revenue beatdown right about now, but pirating programs such as Adobe PS is still illegal.

Or am I missing something?

dante01010

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
So the Macbook Air is gonna disappear ? But what about performance, stability ... ? the current macbook pro doesn't run so cool.

G

@Lofish

because streamed media can do HD with stunning visuals, oh i think Comcast might want to talk to you about their 'fair use' clause or something....

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Don't care if they come out with a 15" Macbook Air. Replacing the current 15" Macbook Pro line is bad news. I use my DVD drive on a daily basis, and I frequently use both USB ports and the Firewire port at the same time. I also use the SDXC slot at least once every 2 weeks.

I'm afraid they're going to remove the DVD drive and various ports, then sell an external DVD drive and firewire/usb hubs separately. The objective of a laptop is to NOT have to carry around a bunch of extra accessories.

For personal home use (mostly Windows systems), it is true I rarely use my DVD drive or any of the ports, so I can see where Apple is going with this. But I use Macs for professional use, and I rely heavily on Macbook Pros while on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.