Advice: replacement for mx440.

Yes, because of doom3.

Currently considering FX5700 Ultra or 6800 Ultra as a replacement. I
have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point.
Obviously faster is better, so we don't need to talk about that. What I
want is the reverse: What is the reasonable low end speed of the P4 to
work well with either of these cards?

Example Answer: 2.1 ghz would support 5700 but not 6800.

Thanks,

At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
better choice.
"Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
> Yes, because of doom3.
>
> Currently considering FX5700 Ultra or 6800 Ultra as a replacement. I
> have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point.
> Obviously faster is better, so we don't need to talk about that. What I
> want is the reverse: What is the reasonable low end speed of the P4 to
> work well with either of these cards?
>
> Example Answer: 2.1 ghz would support 5700 but not 6800.
>
> Thanks,

"Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message

" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "

Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?

arias wrote:

> At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
> so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
> the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
> better choice.

So what speed do you need for the 6800?

Cuzman wrote:

> "Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
>
> " I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "
>
> Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
> best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?

Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?

arias wrote:

> At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
> so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
> the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
> better choice.

doesn't the 5700 ultra have almost the same number of polygons per second as
the 5950 and cost less?

"arias" <georgearias@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<6uVPc.20491$Je5.8225@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>...
> At 2.1ghz your cpu would be the bottleneck for the 6800
> so it wouldnt be worth to to spend the extra or should i say alot extra for
> the 6800 unless your going to upgrade your cpu also. The 5950 would be a
> better choice.

Not everyone upgrades everything at the same time. If you got a
6800GT it would be like upgrading the video card a second time when
you replace the MB/CPU :)

Eric

" Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800? "

Any speed will 'run' it, as long as you have an AGP4x or AGP8x slot.
However, perhaps your system won't even utilise a card which is half that of
the 6800. You give no info, you get no help.

Cuzman wrote:

> "Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
>
> " Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800? "
>
> Any speed will 'run' it, as long as you have an AGP4x or AGP8x slot.
> However, perhaps your system won't even utilise a card which is half that of
> the 6800. You give no info, you get no help.

That is fine. I was asking a general question. Someone else gave me some
advice on this who has used a lot of different cards.

Wayne Rasmussen wrote:

>>"Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
>>
>>" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "
>>
>>Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
>>best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?
>
> Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?

Depends on settings and resolution. If you run a very high resolution,
AA or similar then you are most probably limited by the video card. So
if you for example want to run 1600x1200 than a 6800 is probably not
wasted on CPUs even slower than a P4 2.1GHz.
If you want to see what's the FPS limit of your CPU you can try to set a
very low resolution because then you are hopefully not limited by the
video card (but lower than 640x480 is not possible with Doom 3, or is it?).

André

André Janz wrote:

> Wayne Rasmussen wrote:
>
> >>"Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >>" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "
> >>
> >>Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
> >>best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?
> >
> > Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?
>
> Depends on settings and resolution. If you run a very high resolution,
> AA or similar then you are most probably limited by the video card. So
> if you for example want to run 1600x1200 than a 6800 is probably not
> wasted on CPUs even slower than a P4 2.1GHz.
> If you want to see what's the FPS limit of your CPU you can try to set a
> very low resolution because then you are hopefully not limited by the
> video card (but lower than 640x480 is not possible with Doom 3, or is it?).

I got the game yesterday and it seems slow at 640x480 with this old card, but
not sure the frame rate. The game looks amazing and very scary feeling to it.
It takes about a minute or so to load the first level? How fast is that for most
people? I died like 6 times and I haven't finish the first level yet. The part
where the take over happens is amazing!!! Love the shotgun!

Wayne Rasmussen wrote:

> Cuzman wrote:
>
>>"Wayne Rasmussen" <XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote in message
>>
>>" I have a P4 processro but don't want to say the speed at this point. "
>>
>>Unless you list your entire system, we can't advise on where you would be
>>best spending your money. What's a realistic budget for you?
>
> Redo: What speed would be needed to run the 6800?

You could have a look at
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
and
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=4
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=5

A P4 2.4C can get up to 60.5 fps in the timedemo if it is not limited by
the video card.
A FX 5700 Ultra only reaches this speed when going to 640x480.
A 6800 Ultra stays above this speed even when doing 1600x1200 or
1024x768 4xAA. Only with 1600x1200 4xAA it will drop below that.

If you don't use *very* low or *very* high resolutions then probably
neither of these cards makes much sense. IMHO you'd be better off by
choosing something in between (there is really a *huge* difference
between these cards).

André