Doom 3 running very slowly

And not even in the game. I'm talking about the main menu screen.
It's running at about 1 fps. So slow that my mouse movements are
delayed about 10 seconds. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to quit out of the
game. The planet or whatever it is that's behind the Doom 3 logo also
looks pixelated and messed up as it rotates. I've also noticed this
in another small OpenGL game that I've tried to play.

It appears as though OpenGL isn't running properly on my system. My
suspicion is that it's loading the default windows software openGL
driver (opengl32.dll) instead of the proper Nvidia one.

I have:
Geforce Ti4200 w/64M RAM running 61.77 detonators
Athlon XP 2400
1 Gig PC2100 RAM

I've tried loading older versions of the detonators to no avail. My
card just won't use the correct OpenGL driver.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

And to answer what will likely be the first set of questions, yes, I
have the latest versions of drivers for all my hardware, yes, I've
disabled all applications and programs before installing the video
drivers and before playing the game, yes, I've done a full virus and
spyware sweep of my machine.

Other games that run on Direct3D run flawlessly. UT2004, Far Cry and
Thief 3 being the most intensive of them still give me good framerates
at medium settings on my aging video card.

TIA

Allan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

akaliel wrote:

> And not even in the game. I'm talking about the main menu screen.
> It's running at about 1 fps. So slow that my mouse movements are
> delayed about 10 seconds. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to quit out of the
> game. The planet or whatever it is that's behind the Doom 3 logo also
> looks pixelated and messed up as it rotates. I've also noticed this
> in another small OpenGL game that I've tried to play.
>
> It appears as though OpenGL isn't running properly on my system. My
> suspicion is that it's loading the default windows software openGL
> driver (opengl32.dll) instead of the proper Nvidia one.
>
> I have:
> Geforce Ti4200 w/64M RAM running 61.77 detonators
> Athlon XP 2400
> 1 Gig PC2100 RAM
>
> I've tried loading older versions of the detonators to no avail. My
> card just won't use the correct OpenGL driver.
>
> Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
>
> And to answer what will likely be the first set of questions, yes, I
> have the latest versions of drivers for all my hardware, yes, I've
> disabled all applications and programs before installing the video
> drivers and before playing the game, yes, I've done a full virus and
> spyware sweep of my machine.
>
> Other games that run on Direct3D run flawlessly. UT2004, Far Cry and
> Thief 3 being the most intensive of them still give me good framerates
> at medium settings on my aging video card.
>
> TIA
>
> Allan

I have the same card, Geforce Ti4200 w/64M RAM running 61.77 detonators.
It works fine.

You could try booting in Safe Mode, and delete all nv*.* files,
then reload 61.77. That's sure to remove all the old drivers.

I had many problems w/ the same card but eventually
got it all working on med. quality 800x600:

1. get the 45.23 drivers
2. reset back to default clock speeds (at first)
3. set gamma to 1.5 in the game ( r_gamma 1.5 from console )
4. set AA/AF to application from the nvidia driver tab

At first I saw the same prob. as you and I think it was either
overclocking or the drivers. The other thing to watch out for
are visible artifacts/dots on the screen which are mainly caused
by overclocking but also some of the ati cards show this at default
speed. After about 10 tries I finally got the damn game to look
ok :)

Dave.

Try using the 45.23 driver for that card.

--
DaveW

"akaliel" <akaliel@streamflo.com> wrote in message
> And not even in the game. I'm talking about the main menu screen.
> It's running at about 1 fps. So slow that my mouse movements are
> delayed about 10 seconds. I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to quit out of the
> game. The planet or whatever it is that's behind the Doom 3 logo also
> looks pixelated and messed up as it rotates. I've also noticed this
> in another small OpenGL game that I've tried to play.
>
> It appears as though OpenGL isn't running properly on my system. My
> suspicion is that it's loading the default windows software openGL
> driver (opengl32.dll) instead of the proper Nvidia one.
>
> I have:
> Geforce Ti4200 w/64M RAM running 61.77 detonators
> Athlon XP 2400
> 1 Gig PC2100 RAM
>
> I've tried loading older versions of the detonators to no avail. My
> card just won't use the correct OpenGL driver.
>
> Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
>
> And to answer what will likely be the first set of questions, yes, I
> have the latest versions of drivers for all my hardware, yes, I've
> disabled all applications and programs before installing the video
> drivers and before playing the game, yes, I've done a full virus and
> spyware sweep of my machine.
>
> Other games that run on Direct3D run flawlessly. UT2004, Far Cry and
> Thief 3 being the most intensive of them still give me good framerates
> at medium settings on my aging video card.
>
> TIA
>
> Allan

Well I got Quake 3 Arena running perfectly smooth on my system last
night, so that rules out an OpenGL problem. Doom 3 is still broken.

I've double checked all the nv*.* files and they are all the correct
61.77 version. I'll give the 45.23 drivers a shot tonight.

Otherwise, I give up. Good thing I still got that receipt.

>Otherwise, I give up. Good thing I still got that receipt.

Most places won't take back opened software where did you buy it?

Future Shop, and they will, they have in the past. You just tell them
that the game doesn't work and they drop it into their "used software"
bin.

> Most places won't take back opened software where did you buy it?

>Future Shop, and they will, they have in the past. You just tell them
>that the game doesn't work and they drop it into their "used software"
>bin.

There are only a few places that let you do that.

Just a thought and probably not applicable to you, but it might help
someone else.

Running opengl applications with multiple monitors enabled causes this
behaviour. Disabling any additional monitors solves the problem.

Good luck getting it to run faster than 1 fps...

Mike.

> Future Shop, and they will, they have in the past. You just tell them
> that the game doesn't work and they drop it into their "used software"
> bin.

Thats a pretty naive policy considering most of the returns are probably
people that copied the software and return it...Which is why most places
dont allow you to return opened software titles for anything other than a
same title exchange in case of defects. I havent seen a title in probably
10 years that didnt list the specific hw requirements, so that excuse just
doesnt cut it anymore.

Biz wrote:
> "akaliel" <akaliel@streamflo.com> wrote in message
>> Future Shop, and they will, they have in the past. You just tell
>> them that the game doesn't work and they drop it into their "used
>> software" bin.
>
> Thats a pretty naive policy considering most of the returns are
> probably people that copied the software and return it...Which is why
> most places dont allow you to return opened software titles for
> anything other than a same title exchange in case of defects. I
> havent seen a title in probably 10 years that didnt list the specific
> hw requirements, so that excuse just doesnt cut it anymore.

The week XP Home became available, I bought it from a large retailer with a
policy of no returns on software. I opened it but decided not to install
it. I printed out the license agreement and brought it in to them. As with
most license agreements (and all of M$oft's), it said that if I didn't agree
to the license agreement, I *had* to return it to where I purchased it. I
had to talk to a couple of flunkies and two different managers, but they
took it back and refunded my money.

I haven't read ID's license agreement, but there is a good chance that it
says the same thing. Print it out and bring it back to where you got it. -
Of course, this particular game is well worth playing, so it would be better
to just try to solve the problem and play it... but, if left with no other
choice, then the retailer will refund if you say you didn't accept the
license agreement.

DaveW wrote:

> Try using the 45.23 driver for that card.

20 bits says Dave wears 1 pair of undies a month.

>Thats a pretty naive policy considering most of the returns are probably
>people that copied the software and return it...Which is why most places
>dont allow you to return opened software titles for anything other than a
>same title exchange in case of defects. I havent seen a title in probably
>10 years that didnt list the specific hw requirements, so that excuse just
>doesnt cut it anymore.

He is right though, because some places actually do let you return opened games
with no questions asked. I'm not sure why but they do.
I believe ebgames has that policy.

>20 bits says Dave wears 1 pair of undies a month.

Yeah, and there is something wrong with that???

shawk

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >20 bits says Dave wears 1 pair of undies a month.
>
> Yeah, and there is something wrong with that???

He changes them EVERY month?? Is he posh?

>He changes them EVERY month?? Is he posh?

Don't use words I don't understand.

I don't have two monitors, but it might be set up to look for one.
I'll check it out tonight.

And Biz, I did read the system requirements, my system passes. It
should be able to play. I've talked to people who have Geforce 3's,
sub 2Ghz processors and less RAM than me and are playing this game.

PRIVATE1964 wrote:
>> Thats a pretty naive policy considering most of the returns are
>> probably people that copied the software and return it...Which is
>> why most places dont allow you to return opened software titles for
>> anything other than a same title exchange in case of defects. I
>> havent seen a title in probably 10 years that didnt list the
>> specific hw requirements, so that excuse just doesnt cut it anymore.
>>

> He is right though, because some places actually do let you return
> opened games with no questions asked. I'm not sure why but they do.
> I believe ebgames has that policy.

The in-mall Electronics Botique stores *used* to, until about 6 years
ago. we now also have stand alone EB Games shops in strip centers and
such, but my local ones tell me 'exchange for same item if defective
only' for opened software. Circuit City has the same. Best Buy might
possibly allow exchange for same value different item. Usually though,
if I buy a game and it doesn't work at all, each of these will let me
get something different, but no refund.
McG.

akaliel wrote:
> I don't have two monitors, but it might be set up to look for one.
> I'll check it out tonight.
>
> And Biz, I did read the system requirements, my system passes. It
> should be able to play. I've talked to people who have Geforce 3's,
> sub 2Ghz processors and less RAM than me and are playing this game.
>
>> Running opengl applications with multiple monitors enabled causes
>> this behaviour. Disabling any additional monitors solves the
>> problem.
>>
>> Good luck getting it to run faster than 1 fps...

In case you've noted my own problems with texture corruption/flashing;
I also had a 'rolling screen' sort of issue crop up with installing the
latest Omega driver set. I know there was something messed up in the
files, but nothing showed up in the diags.

So, for giggles, I simply installed DX9.0c and that solved the texture
flashing and sped things up considerably.
So, for the thought "gee, IF there's some leftover driver trash..." I
uninstalled the Omegas, and in safe mode, installed the current nvidia
release set 61.77 and that solved more slowness, and the rolling
screen.
now back to see how Doom3 does in high qual 1K x 768 :)

I'm wondering if your problem could be there may be some corrupted
driver or DX files, and the system is simply unable to run somethig
that's needed? Worth a shot?
McG.

I'm not sure. If it means anything no other game has any problems
running. Even demanding ones like Far Cry run well. I thought it m
ight be OpenGL causing the problem but Quake 3 Arena runs excellent.

> I'm wondering if your problem could be there may be some corrupted
> driver or DX files, and the system is simply unable to run somethig
> that's needed? Worth a shot?
> McG.

TRENDING THREADS