Default Program Installation Path Change

sphilli

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
So, like most people trying out the cutting edge stuff, I recently made the leap to Solid State. Heres the dilemma, I need a good way to change the default installation path for applications that won't break the applications loaded along with the Win7, for example, Windows Media Player. I've done registry edits to make this happen, but they end up breaking default apps that I use. I'm currently running a Kingston 64GB SSD, hence why I want apps installed else where, and a 1TB Seagate drive. Has anyone found a reliable easy fix for this issue? I haven't found really anything online about this, that was helpful that is. More than likely i'm just not using the correct terminology.

Thank you!

I don't know of any way to do that except on a case-by-case basis. Even then, applications will insist on loading some stuff on the "C" drive and some I've used really won't work well unless they are entirely installed on the "C" drive.

Special folders like "My Documents" can be relocated (found this by googling "win7 change location of my documents"), though I've never tried it:

http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-folder-t338.html

That helps get some of the default stuff off of the "C" drive.