boot problems

My brother has a Gateway Performance 933 computer,and when he goes to
start it up the Bios page loads,then it goes to the rollback screen and
stays there nothing else happens and all he can do is hit the space bar
which does nothing. I have no idea on what to do,any help will be
appreciated.

Thanks Ed
4 answers Last reply
More about boot problems

    Start by changing the CMOS battery. Check all the cable connections
    while you're in there. Reseat the RAM and CPU as well.

    If that doesn't do it, then download the drive test utility from the
    manufacturer of the hard drive and do a full surface scan of the drive.

    wally14217 wrote:
    > My brother has a Gateway Performance 933 computer,and when he goes to
    > start it up the Bios page loads,then it goes to the rollback screen and
    > stays there nothing else happens and all he can do is hit the space bar
    > which does nothing. I have no idea on what to do,any help will be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Ed

    Mr. Neth
    I can download the drive test utility from my computer,but if his doesn't
    boot will the test utility work?

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Start by changing the CMOS battery. Check all the cable connections
    > while you're in there. Reseat the RAM and CPU as well.
    >

    > If that doesn't do it, then download the drive test utility from the
    > manufacturer of the hard drive and do a full surface scan of the drive.
    >

    > wally14217 wrote:
    > > My brother has a Gateway Performance 933 computer,and when he goes to
    > > start it up the Bios page loads,then it goes to the rollback screen and
    > > stays there nothing else happens and all he can do is hit the space bar
    > > which does nothing. I have no idea on what to do,any help will be
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks Ed

    Download the drive test software and copy to a bootable floppy disk (if the
    test software isn't bootable) and run/boot from the floppy. Should work and
    perform the tests.

    "wally14217" <wally1215@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Mr. Neth
    > I can download the drive test utility from my computer,but if his
    > doesn't
    > boot will the test utility work?
    >

    > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> Start by changing the CMOS battery. Check all the cable connections
    >> while you're in there. Reseat the RAM and CPU as well.
    >>

    >> If that doesn't do it, then download the drive test utility from the
    >> manufacturer of the hard drive and do a full surface scan of the drive.
    >>

    >> wally14217 wrote:
    >> > My brother has a Gateway Performance 933 computer,and when he goes to
    >> > start it up the Bios page loads,then it goes to the rollback screen and
    >> > stays there nothing else happens and all he can do is hit the space bar
    >> > which does nothing. I have no idea on what to do,any help will be
    >> > appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks Ed

    Thank you for the responses I will try it and see what happens

Gateway Computers