flight school

can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
school for me?
just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
plane.

i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:58:03 -0700, Lawrence wrote:

> can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> school for me?
> just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> plane.
>
> i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.

if you haven't done it by friday night, mail it to me and i'll do it for
you at the weekend.

what "jasper" said is true though... you will require flying skills later
in the game. i suggest just taking various types of aircraft up for a fly
around to see how they handle.

at least you won't have the pressure of trying to fly through some bloody
"coronas" in a set time!

"Lawrence" <lawrence_lugar@cox.net> wrote in message
> can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> school for me?
> just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> plane.
>
> i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.

Yup - send it over.

(Obvious spelling mistake in the return address)

Flying is a great way to get around SA, so Jasper's right - it's a good
skill to have. However, even the storyline mission that demands you need to
fly does not require the same skill level that flight school does...

jasper

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003

Lawrence wrote:
> can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> school for me?
> just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> plane.
>
> i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.

Later on, you'll need the flying skills you learn at the flying school.
It took me a while too, but I finally completed it.
Besides, you get a pilot license, and won't have to climb over the
airport fences anymore ;)

Jasper.

....i take that as a "no" you won't pass it for me?

you need to complete the loops and landing within 1:20
i can get to the landing strip within 1:05 or so...but when i land the plane
is bounces all over the place before i finally stops at 1:25-30 or so

"jasper" <jasper-dot-devries-@-hccnet-dot-nl> wrote in message
> Lawrence wrote:
> > can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> > school for me?
> > just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> > plane.
> >
> > i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.
>
> Later on, you'll need the flying skills you learn at the flying school.
> It took me a while too, but I finally completed it.
> Besides, you get a pilot license, and won't have to climb over the
> airport fences anymore ;)
>
> Jasper.

Towelie

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2002

TV's Lawrence wrote:
> can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> school for me?
> just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> plane.
>
> i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.

I feel your pain. I bought SA a couple of days after it was released on
PS2, and played it until Feburary, when I got stuck on the mission where you
have to circle the airfield. I finally gave up on it, and didn't play the
game much for a couple of months. I decided to try again, and finally
passed the mission a few days ago. If you think the circle the airfield
mission is hard (which it is) wait until the circle airstrip and land
mission.

I found it much easier to do these missions in a counterclockwise direction.
After you hit the first corona, turn right to the next one, then turn left
again to the last corona. Once I figured that out, the mission was much
easier.

In message <pan.2005.07.13.22.02.24.796694@rimmer.red-dwarf.lan>
bryan <bryan@rimmer.red-dwarf.lan> wrote:

> at least you won't have the pressure of trying to fly through some bloody
> "coronas" in a set time!

I still can't see why a lot of people are having problems with the
pilot school, I found the 'Barnstorming' and 'World War Ace' airport
race missions a lot harder.

The first time I completed 'Barnstorming' I had a damaged wing from
clipping a tree!

Cheers,
Rob

jasper schrieb:

>> can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
>> school for me?
>> just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
>> plane.

> Later on, you'll need the flying skills you learn at the flying school.
> It took me a while too, but I finally completed it.
> Besides, you get a pilot license, and won't have to climb over the
> airport fences anymore ;)

Flying School is a bitch if your flight skill is low. It gets
really easy if you have high flight skill.

So go and fly around with the Rustler or use a car, park it near
the entrance to an airport, step in the car roof, then on the
roof of the guard house and in you are. No go get a Dodo or a
Shamal and fly around until skill bar rises.

CU, Venty

I passed the flight school - longest number of attempts in this game in a
mission for me thus far....good riddence

"bryan" <bryan@rimmer.red-dwarf.lan> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:58:03 -0700, Lawrence wrote:
>
> > can someone take my save game file, if possible, and pass the flight
> > school for me?
> > just the part where you have to fly through the loops and land the
> > plane.
> >
> > i'm getting really impatient, and want to move on in the game now.
>
> if you haven't done it by friday night, mail it to me and i'll do it for
> you at the weekend.
>
> what "jasper" said is true though... you will require flying skills later
> in the game. i suggest just taking various types of aircraft up for a fly
> around to see how they handle.
>
> at least you won't have the pressure of trying to fly through some bloody
> "coronas" in a set time!

jasper

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003

Lawrence wrote:
> ...i take that as a "no" you won't pass it for me?
>
> you need to complete the loops and landing within 1:20
> i can get to the landing strip within 1:05 or so...but when i land the plane
> is bounces all over the place before i finally stops at 1:25-30 or so

Sounds like you can handle the corona-passing part well.
Remember the landing mission? Hit the (regular) brakes to slow the plane
down. Meanwhile, put the nose down a bit, so you lose altitude. When you
nearly hit the ground, pull the nose up a bit, so your plane is moving
parallel to the ground (the more you lean forward, the more it bounces,
and higher velocity makes the bounce even more).

Practise the landing again maybe, and eventually it's not that hard
after all. Also, try rudder instead of banking when turning the plane,
that keeps it better in control if you need to correct your direction
quickly.

Jasper.

P.S.: I'd rather not pass it for you, since I think it's more fun to
complete the game on your own.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:55:41 -0700, Lawrence wrote:

> I passed the flight school - longest number of attempts in this game in a
> mission for me thus far....good riddence

well done :)

I did the flight school last night. I'd already got some flight time in
by hopping the fence at LS. The hardest were circle and
circle-and-land, which took three or four attempts each. I found that I
couldn't make the turns in time with just the rudder so I had to use
the stick, which led to some spectacular over-correcting aerobatics.

I only got bronze on destroy-the-targets, I think I got silver on most
of the others. What reward do you get for all silver or better?

Phil Hibbs.

Hunter? (googles...) Ah, the military helicopter. Cool. Might be a bit
of a tall order though.

The 'destroy the targets' showed up a weakness in my controls, I had to
use LMB to fire the rockets which meant I had to let go of PageUp, so I
effectively couldn't use them. Must fiddle with control configuration.

Phil Hibbs.

In article <1121419056.630284.36550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
PhilHibbs <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

>I only got bronze on destroy-the-targets, I think I got silver on most
>of the others. What reward do you get for all silver or better?

All silver - stunt plane spawns at Verdant Meadows
All gold - Hunter spawns at Verdant Meadows

In article <1121423717.304720.173490@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
PhilHibbs <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hunter? (googles...) Ah, the military helicopter. Cool. Might be a bit
>of a tall order though.

It's very handy for making money through the Brown Thunder mission
(Vigilante in a helicopter).

>The 'destroy the targets' showed up a weakness in my controls, I had to
>use LMB to fire the rockets which meant I had to let go of PageUp, so I
>effectively couldn't use them. Must fiddle with control configuration.

Use the machine gun on that mission - it auto targets.

Chris Brown schrieb:

> All silver - stunt plane spawns at Verdant Meadows

The stunt plane is very responsive. Really good handling.
(Sometimes too good)

CU, Venty

In article <42d79c19$0$1150$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch>,
Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:

> The stunt plane is very responsive. Really good handling.
> (Sometimes too good)

And it trails red smoke if you press R3 (on PS2, that is). I found that
out only last week. Wheee.

Gareth

"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> writes:

> I only got bronze on destroy-the-targets, I think I got silver on most
> of the others. What reward do you get for all silver or better?

With all silver or better the stuntplane spawns at the airfield, with
all gold a Hunter spawns as well.