firewalls and email

I'm running xp pro with IE 6 and OE6 - I recently had a lot of problems with
ZA and retrieving emails thru my domain names (my isp is earthlink and I
have no problem getting email directly thru the earthlink addresses) - so I
finally deleted ZA - reset my computer to a previous restore point and was
able to get email. However...of course I think I needed some more
protection - so from reading hte threads it looked like kerio was a good one
to put on .. so did...worked fine and dandy for a couple days - now...when I
go get mail thru OE - I am getting my earthlink addresses ok, but the domain
names that I have set up with OE and earthlink, looks like it sends and
receives (email program is working, no errors) but there is no mail being
received. It WILL send an email and return it if I use a domain name to send
it and my earthlink address to send it to...(if that makes sense) ... I've
contacted my server where I host my websites, but havne't heard from them
yet.

would anyone know if this is a server problem on my hosts end, or is this
an OE/Kerio problem?

thanks for any help!

Pam

"Pam" <pam_staley@removethishotmail.com> wrote in

> I'm running xp pro with IE 6 and OE6 - I recently had a lot of
> problems with ZA and retrieving emails thru my domain names (my isp is
> earthlink and I have no problem getting email directly thru the
> earthlink addresses) - so I finally deleted ZA - reset my computer to
> a previous restore point and was able to get email. However...of
> course I think I needed some more protection - so from reading hte
> threads it looked like kerio was a good one to put on .. so
> did...worked fine and dandy for a couple days - now...when I go get
> mail thru OE - I am getting my earthlink addresses ok, but the domain
> names that I have set up with OE and earthlink, looks like it sends
> and receives (email program is working, no errors) but there is no
> mail being received. It WILL send an email and return it if I use a
> domain name to send it and my earthlink address to send it to...(if
> that makes sense) ... I've contacted my server where I host my
> websites, but havne't heard from them yet.
>
> would anyone know if this is a server problem on my hosts end, or is
> this an OE/Kerio problem?

An error message from OE would be helpful.

Duane :)

Pam wrote:

> would anyone know if this is a server problem on my hosts end, or is this
> an OE/Kerio problem?

The reason for the problem is that you use a tool and neither

1. can clearly define why you use it
2. have understood the tool
3. have understood what the tool can do
4. have understood what the tool cannot do
5. have understood why the tool is useless due to point 4

Uninstall it, use the XP-bullt-in packet filter if you believe you need one,
stop using insecure client software and stop using an account with admin
rights for normal work.

Wolfgang

Pam <pam_staley@removethishotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running xp pro with IE 6 and OE6 - I recently had a lot of problems with
> ZA and retrieving emails thru my domain names (my isp is earthlink and I
> have no problem getting email directly thru the earthlink addresses) - so I
> finally deleted ZA - reset my computer to a previous restore point and was
> able to get email. However...of course I think I needed some more
> protection - so from reading hte threads it looked like kerio was a good one
> to put on .. so did...worked fine and dandy for a couple days - now...when I
> go get mail thru OE - I am getting my earthlink addresses ok, but the domain
> names that I have set up with OE and earthlink, looks like it sends and
> receives (email program is working, no errors) but there is no mail being
> received. It WILL send an email and return it if I use a domain name to send
> it and my earthlink address to send it to...(if that makes sense) ... I've
> contacted my server where I host my websites, but havne't heard from them
> yet.
> would anyone know if this is a server problem on my hosts end, or is this
> an OE/Kerio problem?

Why not considering dropping Kerio also, and just using the Windows-
Firewall? I don't think, that you have more protection with a "Personal
Firewall" than with the Windows-Firewall.

But more problems.

Perhaps it will also be a good idea not to use IE and OE - there are
other software programs, under them even free and gratis ones, which are
as easy to use and don't have security design flaws like ActiveX, Active
Scripting or unfixed security holes for more than a year.

For example, you could use Opera, The Bat, or Mozilla Firefox and
Mozilla Thunderbird.

Also these programs have security problems from time to time, and you
should keep this software up to date. But this gives a level of safety
back to you.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

"Pam" <pam_staley@removethishotmail.com> wrote in

> I'm running xp pro with IE 6 and OE6 - I recently had a lot of
> problems with ZA and retrieving emails thru my domain names (my isp is
> earthlink and I have no problem getting email directly thru the
> earthlink addresses) - so I finally deleted ZA - reset my computer to
> a previous restore point and was able to get email. However...of
> course I think I needed some more protection - so from reading hte
> threads it looked like kerio was a good one to put on .. so
> did...worked fine and dandy for a couple days - now...when I go get
> mail thru OE - I am getting my earthlink addresses ok, but the domain
> names that I have set up with OE and earthlink, looks like it sends
> and receives (email program is working, no errors) but there is no
> mail being received. It WILL send an email and return it if I use a
> domain name to send it and my earthlink address to send it to...(if
> that makes sense) ... I've contacted my server where I host my
> websites, but havne't heard from them yet.
>
> would anyone know if this is a server problem on my hosts end, or is
> this an OE/Kerio problem?
>
> thanks for any help!
>
> Pam

don't use windows firewall. it's a piece of junk!!!

--
''~``
( o o )

darkog <darkogAThushmailDOTcom> wrote:
> don't use windows firewall. it's a piece of junk!!!

The Windows-Firewall is configuration tool for the packet filter in the
Windows kernel.

Please explain, what is the problem with it.