Startup/Shutdown diff prob

G

Alright, this is a different problem than ive seen in all the other posts. Im running Win98 and this problem happens sporadically. After I shut the computer down normally with the shutdown menu, It shuts down, and turns off by itself just fine. Then whenever I started it up again it will start up and start loading loading windows stuff then it just reboots itself, then as its booting again, scan disk runs and after that then it comes up with the option menu of whether to run safe-mode or in all the different modes, then it loads windows normal. What the heck is up with that?? I built this thing myself...runs perfect other than this retarded problem. By the way the heatsink is on right, it doesnt reboot by itself any other time except this and this doesnt happen all the time either. Specs are as follows....

AMD 1.33ghz axia t-bird w/thermonengine pro hsf,black label delta
Asus A7M266 Mobo
512mb Crucial pc2100 DDR RAM
IBM 75gb Hard Drive
Creative Anhilator 2 using Nvidia Geforce2 Ultra chipset,64mb ddr ram
Pioneer 16xDVD/40xROM Slot Load dvd-drive
Plextor 16x10x40 cd-rw drive
Hercules Game Theatre XP Sound Card
Satellite PCI Network Card
3dcool.com Tornado 3002 case w/300watt PSU , (3) 92mm fans

All the drivers are updated, so is the mobo bios. I cant figure out what the heck it is im flipping out :)

Thanks,
_RK_

Sounds a bit like the computer is going through a reset cycle after a crash. Just guessing, never heard of this one before.

With 'shut down' it goes through cycle 'x'.
With 'reset' it goes through cycle 'y' etc.

Something to do with registers??

I suggest you post this on the Motherboard & Chipsets forum.
The guys on there have a lot of answers.

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

G

THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

YOUR MESSAGE IS TOO VAGUE FOR ME TO HELP YOU WITH. SO I ASK, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THE PC BEFORE THIS PROBLEM BEGINS?