media-less WinXP OS on new Gateways

Has anyone else on this NG bought a new Gateway since Jan. 1, 2005? I just
got one and Gateway is not including the system CDs anymore. My WinXP OS is
defective. It doesn't retain my desktop settings, unlike my other Gateways
with WinXP which keep our desktop settings just fine.

Al

Just about all the manufacturers are doing this now. There is a media
creator program that will create a set of disks for you. You can also invoke
the restoration program that runs from the restore partition without even
using disks. It is a good idea to make them asap in case you have a hdd
failure.

"Al Johnson" <recovery_poetry@juno.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else on this NG bought a new Gateway since Jan. 1, 2005? I just
> got one and Gateway is not including the system CDs anymore. My WinXP OS
> is defective. It doesn't retain my desktop settings, unlike my other
> Gateways with WinXP which keep our desktop settings just fine.
>
> Al

XpUser

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008

Just about all the manufacturers are doing this now. There is a media
creator program that will create a set of disks for you. You can also invoke
the restoration program that runs from the restore partition without even
using disks. It is a good idea to make them asap in case you have a hdd
failure.

"Al Johnson" <recovery_poetry@juno.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else on this NG bought a new Gateway since Jan. 1, 2005? I just
> got one and Gateway is not including the system CDs anymore. My WinXP OS
> is defective. It doesn't retain my desktop settings, unlike my other
> Gateways with WinXP which keep our desktop settings just fine.
>
> Al

It is not a good idea to do this. I got a Acer laptop. I created the CD'S i needed to use them. It copied with 1st CD and asked for 2nd CD. I put 2 nd CD in it kelp asking for the 2nd CD. The restore failed and i marked the CD's after each one was burned. This is not a good idea because if you ever have to change the harddrive you will have no OS CD. I had to order the CD'S from Acer had a hard time but them finally sent them.