WOW! $160 Athlon 64 3000+ beats $825 P4 3.2 EE in Doom 3!

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
16 answers Last reply
More about athlon 3000 beats doom

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:03:28 -0400 JK <JK9821@netscape.net> meeped :

    >http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    how do they turn off the 60FPS cap ?
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    JK wrote:
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    This is a bit misleading. While the AMDs are at the top
    of the chart, it is only by a small margin at high resolution.

    "Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message

    > JK wrote:
    > > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    > >

    > This is a bit misleading. While the AMDs are at the top
    > of the chart, it is only by a small margin at high resolution.
    I think you missed the point - there is only a small margin in performance,
    but a huge difference in price. Even if the performance was slightly worse
    with the AMD, at under 20% of the price of the Intel, it's a no-brainer as
    to which gives the best bang for the buck...

    > I think you missed the point - there is only a small margin in performance,
    > but a huge difference in price. Even if the performance was slightly worse
    > with the AMD, at under 20% of the price of the Intel, it's a no-brainer as
    > to which gives the best bang for the buck...

    You're looking at the wrong comparison. I run a $140.00 P4 northy at
    3.4Ghz. What competitive AMD chip is going for $28.00??

    Jeff B

    A $140 P4 at 3.4 ghz? How much did the water cooling setup cost? Even
    with water cooling, many might not be able to reach that. Besides which,
    one could also overclock an Athlon 64 if they are inclined to.

    JK wrote:
    > A $140 P4 at 3.4 ghz? How much did the water cooling setup cost?

    $50.00, and it's air cooled.

    Even
    > with water cooling, many might not be able to reach that.

    Many can and do reach that with air cooling.

    Besides which,
    > one could also overclock an Athlon 64 if they are inclined to.

    Of course. I'm comparing an aircooled P4 to an Air cooled
    AMD 64 bit. Both running at full speed, also known as 'overclocked'.
    My point is, given the chart on Anands site, the numbers are pretty
    close at hi res (1600x1200) for virually all 'Intel vs AMD' comparisons
    one could make. The original poster singled out the freak atypical
    example which of course doesn't count because nobody would
    choose that one.

    Jeff b

    Many people run games at lower resolutions to get higher frame rates. That is
    not
    unreasonable.

    JK wrote:
    > Many people run games at lower resolutions to get higher frame rates. That is
    > not
    > unreasonable.

    And even more people want their games to look good.

    Jeff B

    That is even more of a reason to get a good cpu to use with a good
    video card.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=1

    JK wrote:
    > That is even more of a reason to get a good cpu to use with a good
    > video card.

    Like a $140-$200 Intel or AMD CPU. At hi res, where
    ppl like to play, not much difference at all between the two.

    Jeff B

    Not quite. Not much difference between an $825 P4 3.2 EE and a $160
    Athlon 64 3000+. Many people have an lcd monitor which only goes
    up to 1280x1024 resolution.

    Jeff B wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    > > That is even more of a reason to get a good cpu to use with a good
    > > video card.
    >
    > Like a $140-$200 Intel or AMD CPU. At hi res, where
    > ppl like to play, not much difference at all between the two.
    >
    > Jeff B
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    You think the 3.2 EE is a bad value? We KNOW it is a bad value. The EE
    processors were flagship CPUs *designed to stay expensive*. They have been
    out for, what, eight months now? Yet the prices have never fallen below
    $800.

    Oh well, the EE line has been discontinued anyway.

    "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I think you missed the point - there is only a small margin in
    performance,
    > but a huge difference in price. Even if the performance was slightly worse
    > with the AMD, at under 20% of the price of the Intel, it's a no-brainer as
    > to which gives the best bang for the buck...

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The EE chips are probably very expensive to make due to the huge cache.
    Perhaps that is why Intel plans to discontinue the 3.2 ghz P4 EE.
    So far the news is that just the 3.2 EE is being discontinued.
    The other P4s aren't such good values either, unless one wants
    to do only video editing on the pc. I still don't understand why so
    many people would spend $420 on a P4 3.4 ghz Prescott, when
    they could buy an Athlon 64 3200+ at half the price.

    First of One wrote:

    > You think the 3.2 EE is a bad value? We KNOW it is a bad value. The EE
    > processors were flagship CPUs *designed to stay expensive*. They have been
    > out for, what, eight months now? Yet the prices have never fallen below
    > $800.
    >
    > Oh well, the EE line has been discontinued anyway.

    > "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > I think you missed the point - there is only a small margin in
    > performance,
    > > but a huge difference in price. Even if the performance was slightly worse
    > > with the AMD, at under 20% of the price of the Intel, it's a no-brainer as
    > > to which gives the best bang for the buck...

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    JK wrote:

    > Not quite. Not much difference between an $825 P4 3.2 EE and a $160
    > Athlon 64 3000+.

    Nice half truth. At hi res, where ppl like to play, not much difference
    between a $140 Intel, and a $200 AMD.

    Jeff B
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The difference might be very great. Perhaps much greater than the
    difference between a $400 and a $600 video card.

    Jeff B wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    >
    > > Not quite. Not much difference between an $825 P4 3.2 EE and a $160
    > > Athlon 64 3000+.
    >
    > Nice half truth. At hi res, where ppl like to play, not much difference
    > between a $140 Intel, and a $200 AMD.
    >
    > Jeff B
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    You think the 3.2 EE is a bad value? We KNOW it is a bad value. The EE
    processors were flagship CPUs *designed to stay expensive*. They have been
    out for, what, eight months now? Yet the prices have never fallen below
    $800.

    Oh well, the EE line has been discontinued anyway.

Nvidia World Of Warcraft Graphics