Video capture card or AGP card with VIVO

New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.

Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
card? Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite video?
Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

Please post to the list
4 answers Last reply
More about video capture card card vivo

    > New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.
    >
    > Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
    > card? Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite
    video?
    > Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?
    >
    > Please post to the list

    My buddy just bought a Go-Video unit. DVD recorder and HiFi Vhs combo, both
    record from TV. He puts his tape in one side, blank DVD on the other and
    hits one button. It's a sweet set up. I'll find the model # if interested.

    Paul Ward wrote:

    > New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.
    >
    > Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video capture
    > card?

    Yes. Whether more or less well depends on which VIVO board you're comparing
    with which standalone capture board.

    > Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite
    > video?

    Are you asking if they do MPEG compression in hardware? If so, no.

    > Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?

    Nearly all of them will, but check the manufacturer's specs before you buy.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    If you have USB II then I would recomend one of the external capture devices
    like the Leadtek Winfast TV USB II device. It does all of the conversions
    internally and then sends the video to your computer. Since I went to the
    external capture unit I no longer get the voice and picture out of phase and
    I get a much better picture quality over all.

    "John Lee Brown" <jbrownnc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<9YJRc.8798$_C6.284@cyclops.nntpserver.com>...
    > If you have USB II then I would recomend one of the external capture devices
    > like the Leadtek Winfast TV USB II device. It does all of the conversions
    > internally and then sends the video to your computer. Since I went to the
    > external capture unit I no longer get the voice and picture out of phase and
    > I get a much better picture quality over all.
    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Paul Ward wrote:
    > >
    > > > New to all this. I want to copy my old VHS tapes to HD then burn to DVD.
    > > >
    > > > Do the new Video cards with video in do the same thing as a video
    > capture
    > > > card?
    > >
    > > Yes. Whether more or less well depends on which VIVO board you're
    > comparing
    > > with which standalone capture board.
    > >
    > > > Do the new video cards do the digital conversion from composite
    > > > video?
    > >
    > > Are you asking if they do MPEG compression in hardware? If so, no.
    > >
    > > > Are there video cards available that will handle Pal and NTSC?
    > >
    > > Nearly all of them will, but check the manufacturer's specs before you
    > buy.
    > >

    > > > Please post to the list
    > >
    > > --
    > > --John
    > > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Hi,
    B4 you purchase a new video card with capture features,i suggest you
    do a google search for "WDM white bar"..You will uncover a problem
    that most of us have that is little known until you try to capture
    your own video..Goodluck,
    jolphil

Nvidia Video Capture Graphics Cards Video Graphics