Zalman heatsink with Gainward FX5700 ultra graphics card

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi there,

I am fitting a Zalman ZM80D-HP 'noiseless VGA cooler' to a Gainward
960/Ultra graphics card.

I guess as there are no RAM chips on the back of the card that I do not
need to use the rear RAM heatsinks, but is it better to remove the
Gainward front RAM heatsinks and replace them with the (smaller /
thinner) Zalman ones, or leave them be?

Many thanks,

Chris

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"Chris Squire" <chris@chrisangalongthedottedline.free-online.co.uk> wrote in
message news:411621e1$0$531$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
> Hi there,
>
> I am fitting a Zalman ZM80D-HP 'noiseless VGA cooler' to a Gainward
> 960/Ultra graphics card.
>
> I guess as there are no RAM chips on the back of the card that I do not
> need to use the rear RAM heatsinks, but is it better to remove the
> Gainward front RAM heatsinks and replace them with the (smaller /
> thinner) Zalman ones, or leave them be?

Unless there's anything desperately wrong with them I would leave them be,
afterall they're probably doing their job perfectly well, so you wouldn't
really gain anything from replacing them.

Phil wrote:

I am fitting a Zalman ZM80D-HP 'noiseless VGA cooler' to a Gainward
>> 960/Ultra graphics card.
>>
>> I guess as there are no RAM chips on the back of the card that I do
>> not need to use the rear RAM heatsinks, but is it better to remove
>> the Gainward front RAM heatsinks and replace them with the (smaller
>> / thinner) Zalman ones, or leave them be?

> Unless there's anything desperately wrong with them I would leave
> them be, afterall they're probably doing their job perfectly well, so
> you wouldn't really gain anything from replacing them.

Thanks Phil - that was what I thought, the Zalman RAM heatsinks are
actually smaller, I was just concerned that with the Zalman main
heatsink over the top, the 'airflow' over the stock heatsinks may be
reduced.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

If you want to reduce the noise level of your PC I doubt that this will make
much difference. I have the same card and the fan is very quiet. Its much
more likely that the case fans or the power supply fan are the real noise
culprits.
"Chris Squire" <chris@chrisangalongthedottedline.free-online.co.uk> wrote in
message news:411621e1$0$531$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...
> Hi there,
>
> I am fitting a Zalman ZM80D-HP 'noiseless VGA cooler' to a Gainward
> 960/Ultra graphics card.
>
> I guess as there are no RAM chips on the back of the card that I do not
> need to use the rear RAM heatsinks, but is it better to remove the
> Gainward front RAM heatsinks and replace them with the (smaller /
> thinner) Zalman ones, or leave them be?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

M wrote:
> If you want to reduce the noise level of your PC I doubt that this will make
> much difference. I have the same card and the fan is very quiet. Its much
> more likely that the case fans or the power supply fan are the real noise
> culprits.

It has made a bit of a difference - I already had quiet psu, cpu and
case fans, so it was 'relatively' loud - though I agree with you that
the stock fan was not too bad.

Cheers,

Chris

--