Open GL

pat

Expert

I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going to
be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
DOOM 3?

TIA,
Pat

"Pat" <pcgr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going
> be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
> AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
> DOOM 3?
>
> TIA,
> Pat

You need to dump the ATI card for OpenGL and get an NVIDIA card, 1st off.
ATI cards have horrible OpenGL performance.

Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never really
took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID Software.

"Pat" <pcgr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going
> be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
> AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
> DOOM 3?
>
> TIA,
> Pat

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Martin S. wrote:
> Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
> alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
> really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
> Software.

It actually means Open Graphics Layer.
Never took off? You kidding? Sure it might not be as widespread but to say
it never took off reeks of ignorance.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

My bad, I haven't got through my first coffee yet. :) But... Direct-X is
much more prevalent in games than OpenGL.

"Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Martin S. wrote:
>> Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
>> alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
>> really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
>> Software.
>
> It actually means Open Graphics Layer.
> Never took off? You kidding? Sure it might not be as widespread but to say
> it never took off reeks of ignorance.
>
> --
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

"Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Martin S. wrote:
> > Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
> > alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
> > really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
> > Software.
>
> It actually means Open Graphics Layer.
> Never took off? You kidding? Sure it might not be as widespread but to say
> it never took off reeks of ignorance.
>
> --
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Actually you are both wrong. It means Open Graphics Library.

Trainz lets you choose between opengl and directx. With some Trainz releases
(they keep upgrading it) the one that's faster changes, according to your
local machine, of course. For me, directx was faster at first but now opengl
is 33% faster. Maybe because of the new nvidia drivers, which sped up
directx alot.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Pat wrote:
> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
> going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
> 7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
> I need to do to play DOOM 3?

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom 3
drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
'pure'.
For a new card I'd recommend the 6800 GT or Ultra without hesitation - it is
an outstanding piece of technology.
As for the RAM, yes, if you can, get another gig - can never have too much
RAM. Your CPU will be a bottleneck though - I don't know if you'd be able to
play at medium settings with it even *with* a GT...

--

Martin S. wrote:
> My bad, I haven't got through my first coffee yet. :)

Heh, cool.

> But... Direct-X
> is much more prevalent in games than OpenGL.

Indeed, I never said otherwise dear boy.

--

> Pat wrote:
> > I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
> > going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
> > 7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
> > I need to do to play DOOM 3?
> >

> You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
> addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom
3
> drivers are highly BETA.
> Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
> Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
> 'pure'.

Although very few games actually use OpenGL these days.

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jamie_Manic wrote:

>> You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're
>> apparently addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2
>> years and their Doom 3 drivers are highly BETA.
>> Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card -
>> where Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more
>> streamlined and 'pure'.
>
> Although very few games actually use OpenGL these days.

Tragic isn't it? I don't understand why an API which is way better than D3D
in every respect, and is entirely *free* unlike D3D, which requires a
licence to be paid to MS, isn't more widespread.

--

ccs wrote:
> "Pat" <pcgr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
>> going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
>> 7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What
>> do I need to do to play DOOM 3?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Pat
>>

> You need to dump the ATI card for OpenGL and get an NVIDIA card, 1st
> off. ATI cards have horrible OpenGL performance.

It's less good than Nvidia, rather than horrible. If you're only going to be
playing Doom 3 get an Nvidia card; if you going to be playing generally,
where the majority of games are DirectX, then it's a more open choice.

--
Derek

Direct X has more 3D features than OGL and MS is adding more all the time.
AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years. Personally,I'd rather see OGL as the
leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in it's way.

YanquiDawg wrote:
> Direct X has more 3D features than OGL

And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game engine ever
seen with OGL...

> and MS is adding more all the
> time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.

But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to be
universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux - an
individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why it's so much a
better option than D3D.

> Personally,I'd rather
> see OGL as the leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in
> it's way.

I concur there's more commercial polish in D3D, however synchronously
there's more bloat.
Financially speaking, OGL is a vastly better option.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Danny ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

> YanquiDawg wrote:
>> Direct X has more 3D features than OGL
>
> And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game engine
> ever seen with OGL...
>
>> and MS is adding more all the
>> time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.
>
> But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to be
> universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux - an
> individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why it's so
> much a better option than D3D.
>
>> Personally,I'd rather
>> see OGL as the leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in
>> it's way.
>
> I concur there's more commercial polish in D3D, however synchronously
> there's more bloat.
> Financially speaking, OGL is a vastly better option.

I have no idea how games are made, but can i ask, is it easier to make
games for D3D or OpenGL? maybe thats a factor?

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message

> I have no idea how games are made, but can i ask, is it easier to make
> games for D3D or OpenGL? maybe thats a factor?

Last I knew it was way easier to program for OpenGL, and D3D programming was
a real PITA, but that may have changed in teh last few years. I suspect it
hasnt though...

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Pat" <pcgr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm going
> be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon 7500. I have a
> AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do I need to do to play
> DOOM 3?
>
> TIA,
> Pat

As you're new to this Pat the first thing you'll notice is how few ppl read
your
post and answer your question as simply and constructively as possible.
OpenGL is just a way of displaying 3 dimensional graphics - the other way
is Microsofts own design called Direct3D or D3D for short. Doom 3
just happens to use OpenGL and Half-Life 2 (due shortly) will use D3D.
Radeons and GeForces do both but Radeons are slightly faster at D3D and
Nvidia are
slightly faster at OpenGL. To play Doom 3 at 800x600 medium settings
you need 512mb RAM to go with your XP2000 (which is fine btw)
and either a Nvidia FX5700 (not a LE or XT model) or Radeon 9600 Pro or XT.
Something like this would do very nicely
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X2
92ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55188
of course if youre feeling flush then 1 gig of RAM and 9800 Pro or XT
would be even better and Doom 3 at 1024x768 should play very nicely.

Martin S. wrote:
> Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
> alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
> really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
> Software.

Except iD huh? Hah! Unreal, UT, Half-Life and *MOST* 3D games through
the Q3A period were either OpenGL or either OGL or DX. And it appears
that 3Dfx Voodoo cards are what really caused the huge surge in use of
OGL in PC games.

Open GL existed before there was ever DirectX. Open GL subset was being
run on the PC in DOS (even before Windows 3.1, I ran it in Win 3.0) for
image viewing, animations, and some other things I never figured out.
OGL has grown a lot since then. Just like Windows has.
McG.

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Pat wrote:
>>> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
>>> going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
>>> 7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What
>>> do I need to do to play DOOM 3?
>>>

>> You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're
>> apparently addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2
>> years and their Doom 3 drivers are highly BETA.
>> Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card -
>> where Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more
>> streamlined and 'pure'.
>
> Although very few games actually use OpenGL these days.

Really? Like what major FPS games don't offer use of OGL? Far Cry?
Either. DE-IW? Either. The only DX9 game I have that is exclusively
DX is Tombraider: Angel of Darkness.
McG.

YanquiDawg wrote:
> Direct X has more 3D features than OGL and MS is adding more all the
> time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years. Personally,I'd rather
> see OGL as the leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in
> it's way.

it's more like a $42,000,000,000 gorilla. Results are still the same.
McG.

Danny wrote:

> YanquiDawg wrote:
>> Direct X has more 3D features than OGL
>
> And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game engine
> ever seen with OGL...
>
>> and MS is adding more all the
>> time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.
>
> But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to be
> universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux - an
> individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why it's so much
> a better option than D3D.

Since it's an interface standard, it _does_ need to be "universally updated
by an all-encompassing body" or you end up with a hundred different
mutually incompatible versions of it.

>> Personally,I'd rather
>> see OGL as the leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in
>> it's way.
>
> I concur there's more commercial polish in D3D, however synchronously
> there's more bloat.
> Financially speaking, OGL is a vastly better option.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:11:05 +0100 "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> meeped
:

>Pat wrote:
>> I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
>> going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
>> 7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
>> I need to do to play DOOM 3?
>>

>You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
>addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom 3
>drivers are highly BETA.
>Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
>Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
>'pure'.
>For a new card I'd recommend the 6800 GT or Ultra without hesitation - it is
>an outstanding piece of technology.
>As for the RAM, yes, if you can, get another gig - can never have too much
>RAM. Your CPU will be a bottleneck though - I don't know if you'd be able to
>play at medium settings with it even *with* a GT...

OpenGL ROCKS !!

(8¬ D)
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:28:45 GMT "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> meeped :

>Half-Life 2 (due shortly) will use D3D.

Half Life 2 will also have an OpenGL option.(unless they removed it post-leak !
)
(just like the original...which I always used because it gave me a considerably
better frame rate at the time)
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

ccs wrote:

>> --
>> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
>> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
>>

> Actually you are both wrong. It means Open Graphics Library.

This man is correct.
Argh.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

So you were wrong too, Danny dear boy.