Which card????????

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on a new graphics card, and have absolutely no clue
what to look for.
I want something under $200, 128mb or 256mb(prefered). What I was
considering was the nVidia FX series: 5600ultra, 5700, 5700le.

Anyone have any recomendations whic I should go with? What card
manufacturers should I look at?

THANKS!!!

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Christopher Wall" <C_Wall@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to decide on a new graphics card, and have absolutely no clue
> what to look for.
> I want something under $200, 128mb or 256mb(prefered). What I was
> considering was the nVidia FX series: 5600ultra, 5700, 5700le.
>
> Anyone have any recomendations whic I should go with? What card
> manufacturers should I look at?
>
> THANKS!!!

Gainward 256Mb 5700 Ultra.....$187
http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc127123.html

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Gainward 256Mb 5700 Ultra.....$187
> >http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc127123.html
>
> If he can afford that wouldn't he be better off getting this instead for
only a
> few dollars more?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-127-127&DEPA=0

Yep, it's a better card, but he said he preferred 256Mb on the card.
Sapphire has the 128bit 9800 Atlantis 256Mb for $234, but the cheapest 256Mb
256bit 9800 Pro I can find is this one for $283.

http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=339&pid=9215&sid=2GLCPKAUHWVA8PCKQ7HUNRTMRR175U6B

A 256Mb 5700 Ultra for $187 is decent. You're getting 9600XT level
performance.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:06:45 GMT "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> meeped :

>"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >Gainward 256Mb 5700 Ultra.....$187
>> >http://www.buyxtremegear.com/vc127123.html
>>
>> If he can afford that wouldn't he be better off getting this instead for
>only a
>> few dollars more?
>>

>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=14-127-127&DEPA=0
>
>Yep, it's a better card, but he said he preferred 256Mb on the card.
>Sapphire has the 128bit 9800 Atlantis 256Mb for $234, but the cheapest 256Mb
>256bit 9800 Pro I can find is this one for $283.
>
>http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=339&pid=9215&sid=2GLCPKAUHWVA8PCKQ7HUNRTMRR175U6B
>
>A 256Mb 5700 Ultra for $187 is decent. You're getting 9600XT level
>performance.

a 128 9800pro pisses all over a 5700u 256'er...performance wise.
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Hey guys, thanks for the input! keep it coming.
The 256mb is merely a prefference, as I like to have memory. I'm looking for
something that will work well performance wise for DVD, rendering software,
and some intensive games(that I can't run on my current card! --a Riva TNT2
32mb)
The problem, is of course, keeping under a $200 budget...
If a 128mb card out there will work better, let me know. I've never used any
ATi products before, and know even less of them than I do nVidia.

Christopher Wall wrote:
> Hey guys, thanks for the input! keep it coming.
> The 256mb is merely a prefference, as I like to have memory. I'm
> looking for something that will work well performance wise for DVD,
> rendering software, and some intensive games(that I can't run on my
> current card! --a Riva TNT2 32mb)
> The problem, is of course, keeping under a $200 budget...
> If a 128mb card out there will work better, let me know. I've never
> used any ATi products before, and know even less of them than I do
> nVidia.

For around $200, you should be able to locate a Built By ATI Radeon 9800
Pro (R360 core). This is a good card. You should also be able to find
somewhere a FX5900, non ultra, which would be the 9800 Pros equivalent,
for around the same money.

Taking a look at the pricefinders leaves one a bit bewildered don't it?
So many cards, series numbers, prices.

McG.