  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 14, 2005 10:39:14 PM

Finally completed the main mission strands, as well as some of the other
stuff. Have avoided Zero's missions from no 2 onwards 'cos I can't be arsed
to try and fly them stoopid RC choppers :-( I'm not interested in getting
100% so it's no big thing.

However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina and
muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be aiming for
0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten on the other two. Any
pointers appreciated :-)

Ta!

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

More about : question

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:43:14 PM

Carl Waring wrote:

> Finally completed the main mission strands, as well as some of the other
> stuff. Have avoided Zero's missions from no 2 onwards 'cos I can't be arsed
> to try and fly them stoopid RC choppers :-( I'm not interested in getting
> 100% so it's no big thing.
>
> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina and
> muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be aiming for
> 0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten on the other two. Any
> pointers appreciated :-)
>
> Ta!
>
> --
> Carl Waring
> http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

congrats and no, I only tried once. I heard you could even shoot
people :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

In message <mjyBe.69831$G8.36145@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
"Carl Waring" <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina and
> muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be aiming for
> 0%?)

If you have 0% fat then eventually it will wear your muscle down. It
goes down especially quickly doing something strenuous like sprinting
in the cycle parts.

I had no trouble beating either of them in 1st the first times I played
them, the only advice I can tell you is to max out your cycling skill.

Cheers,
Rob
July 15, 2005 2:10:18 AM

Paul Heslop wrote:
> congrats and no, I only tried once. I heard you could even shoot
> people :o )

Nope. Tried it. Got disqual'ed :-(

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 2:24:56 AM

In article <mjyBe.69831$G8.36145@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Carl Waring <carl.waring@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina
> and muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be
> aiming for 0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten on the
> other two. Any pointers appreciated :-)

I managed the shorter triathlon (from the south-west Los Santos beach)
first time, but the looong one (from north-east of Los Santos) took
several goes. Location references below are for the long one, but the
general techniques work for both. Oh, and I had about 5% fat.

Swimming - there's a knack. If you press X (I have the PS2, sorry) really
fast, then Carl swims much faster, but gets worn out and slows down to his
slow pootly swim. However, it's possible to tap X slightly less fast than
maximum and keep him doing this front crawl all the way to the bikes.
I can make it there second before like this. (Possibly first once.)

Cycling - this is where you have to get very far ahead. (If you can see
anyone behind you at all when you arrive near Las Venturas, you might as
well give up and save your thumb.) You should tap X to sprint-cycle when
you can, but make sure that you don't get worn out for uphills - you
_must_ have some sprint left for slopes or Carl will really slow down.
Also look out for short cuts: on some of the winding roads shortly after
the bike section starts, you can go straight up the hill; and lots of
corners can be cut across the desert.

Running - just go for it. The method of tapping X used in swimming has a
slight effect but it's negligible. You'll probably find the others run up
behind you and overtake in the final straight. But they also get worn out
and slow down occasionally, so if you can time one of your sprints to
coincide with one of their lapses, you might surge past at the end.

In the end, I got the swimming and cycling perfectly (which took a fair
while), and the final straight was completely clear. I then took a day
off to rest my poor thumb.

(And they don't count for 100% either, as far as I could tell. Pfah.
Hardest thing in the game, I thought.)

Gareth
July 15, 2005 2:56:19 AM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:39:14 +0000, Carl Waring wrote:

> Finally completed the main mission strands, as well as some of the other
> stuff. Have avoided Zero's missions from no 2 onwards 'cos I can't be
> arsed to try and fly them stoopid RC choppers :-( I'm not interested in
> getting 100% so it's no big thing.
>
> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina and
> muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be aiming for
> 0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten on the other two. Any
> pointers appreciated :-)

use the jetpack for the swimming section... works a treat! :-)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:47:19 AM

I was having trouble with this too at first but the basic recipe that
works for me is:

1. Swimming: go slowly, don't bother if they get a big lead here (even
being one checkpoint ahead is okay. Conserving energy is the key.
2. Cycling: go full out here, sprint by tapping the forward key a lot.
There are a couple of tricky turns so make sure you know the route. If
you make it into first place (which absolutely should be the goal here)
then coast as much as possible. Check behind you to see if you can take
it easy. I normally gain the lead around 5 minutes into the race.
3. Running: you should still have some energy. Occasionally sprint.
Check behind you so you know where you stand. There are a couple of
places where you can take some short cuts across the grass where the
other competitors run along the road.

And, here's a bonus tip: you can't waste the other competitors as I'm
sure you've found out, but you can punch them and knock them down. If
someone is about to pass you in the run, sprint up to them and give
them a punch with the brass knuckles. I don't normally need to do this
any more, but it's always good in reserve.

The Santa Maria Beach one is harder than the Fisher's Lagoon triathlon
-- the cycling section in the Fisher's Lagoon one is so long and you
have a significant advantage over the AI in that portion of the race,
due to them wiping out and not using sprint-cycling efficiently.

Good luck!

Carl Waring wrote:
> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My stamina and
> muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should I be aiming for
> 0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten on the other two. Any
> pointers appreciated :-)
July 16, 2005 3:53:24 AM

Carl Waring wrote:
> Finally completed the main mission strands, as well as some of the
> other stuff. Have avoided Zero's missions from no 2 onwards 'cos I
> can't be arsed to try and fly them stoopid RC choppers :-( I'm not
> interested in getting 100% so it's no big thing.
>
> However, has anyone completed and *won* the triathlons yet? My
> stamina and muscle are all maxed-out and I only have 14% fat. (Should
> I be aiming for 0%?) I can ace the cycling section always get beaten
> on the other two. Any pointers appreciated :-)
>
> Ta!

Won both.........though the one ending in LV is hardest..........hint:

Use the jetpack to bob along the surface rather than swim!!!! have to
abandon when you get to cycles though.........gives you the edge enough to
keep ahead.........just

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
....why, other guards, of course!
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:32:38 AM

I won both first time on the PS2, but I used an autofire controller. I
want to play a game, not permanently damage my thumb. I have a similar
gadget for the PC that I will use, see the DX1 "new toy" thread.

Phil Hibbs.
!