pcx cards?

I've been out of the loop for almost a year now and I have no idea what PCI
express is. From what I've been able to find so far I am led to believe that
I could place a PCX card in a standard PCI slot. Is this true or is PCX a
seperate slot like AGP?

will

Will wrote:

> I've been out of the loop for almost a year now and I have no idea what
> PCI express is. From what I've been able to find so far I am led to
> believe that I could place a PCX card in a standard PCI slot. Is this true
> or is PCX a seperate slot like AGP?

I think you're confusing two different standards, PCI X and PCI Express (be
sure to thank Intel for the confusing terminology). PCI-X is regular PCI
extended to 64-bits and any of several higher clock speeds. PCI Express,
aka "PCI-E" is a completely different standard that is not
backward-compatible with any existing PCI hardware.

A PCI-X board is supposed to fit in a regular PCI slot and work, possibly
with reduced performance, and vice versa. A PCI-E board will not fit in a
regular PCI slot nor will a regular PCI board fit in a PCI-E slot.

PCI Express x1 uses one wire pair to carry data a little faster than regular
PCI. There's also x2, x4, x8, and x16. PCI-E video boards use x16, which
is a good deal faster than AGP 8x, but if you're not using a video board in
it that same slot can be used for some other type of PCI-E device.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

No he's not if you go to nvidia's site you will see that their PCI-Express
cards are called PCX.

Jeff Adams wrote:

> No he's not if you go to nvidia's site you will see that their PCI-Express
> cards are called PCX.

Then nvidia has chosen to add to the confusion.