iPAQ4150/WME2003: eMail attachments on storage card

a b G Storage
April 9, 2004 8:24:05 PM

Hi all,

I like to save eMail-attachments on my storage card (SanDisk, 512MB).
Problem is, that while choosing "Save Attachments on Card" only one ctorage
card is detected (possibly the one with the first name in alphabetical
order).

In my normal configuration this is "iPAQ File Store", which is useless
because it is a part of RAM. When I manually enter the path "\Storage
Card\Inbox.mst....\" to the Registry key
\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\AttachPath, upon reset a new directory
"Storage Card" is created in RAM and the name of the true card is altered to
"Storage Card 2".

Obviously, the path of my card can not be set for storing attachments
manually by changing the Registry.

The only way I could find is to disable iPAQ File Store by changing
\HKLM\System\Storage Manager\Autoload\TrueFFS1\BootPhase from 1 to 0. When I
now do a soft reset and choose "Save Attachments on card", the system enters
the path "\Storage Card\..." to the AttachPath-key (just like I tried
manually). Attachments will then indeed be saved to the card.

BUT:
When I do a soft reset again with the path to the card still in the
AttachPath-key, directory "Storage Card" will be created in RAM and path to
card will be renamed to "Storage Card 2" again (see above). So, if ever I
need to reset, I first have to erase the path value in AttachPath and
reenter it after resetting. Besides, without iPAQ File Store I can not use
iPAQ Backup functionality.

I tried to rename the card in Registry section StorageManager, but this all
did not help. Whatever name given, still the direct path to the card can not
be used to save attachments.

Does anyone know how the detection of cards is done in WME2003 or how to
change the order, in which storage cards are detected?

Thanks
Robert
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 10, 2004 9:18:09 PM

"Rolf Molini" <molini@web.de> wrote in
news:o wRwa5jHEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> In my normal configuration this is "iPAQ File Store", which is useless
> because it is a part of RAM. When I manually enter the path "\Storage

Errr, as far as I know, iPAQ Filestore resides in
what's left of the device's ROM memory. not RAM.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message

| "Rolf Molini" <molini@web.de> wrote in
| news:o wRwa5jHEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
|

| > In my normal configuration this is "iPAQ File Store", which is useless
| > because it is a part of RAM. When I manually enter the path "\Storage
|
| Errr, as far as I know, iPAQ Filestore resides in
| what's left of the device's ROM memory. not RAM.

Well, to be honest, I don't mind if it's RAM or ROM... because either is TOO
SMALL!

I use to take appr. 400MByte of eMails and attachments with me.

All I want is, that this RAM/ROM-place is not detected before my Storage
Card and thus shown as the only place to save email attachments to...

Anyway, learned something :-)
a b G Storage
April 11, 2004 6:55:01 AM

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 2:55:00 -1000, Rolf Molini wrote
(in message <#Myve#1HEHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>):

> "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rolf Molini" <molini@web.de> wrote in
>> news:o wRwa5jHEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
>>

>>> In my normal configuration this is "iPAQ File Store", which is useless
>>> because it is a part of RAM. When I manually enter the path "\Storage
>>
>> Errr, as far as I know, iPAQ Filestore resides in
>> what's left of the device's ROM memory. not RAM.
>
> Well, to be honest, I don't mind if it's RAM or ROM... because either is TOO
> SMALL!

It does matter that it's in ROM (which it is), since it means
the data in there should survive a hard reset. So although it's
probably too small for many causes, it might be a cool place to
store some documents you never want to be without. Like a
cab-file of eWallet and your eWallet file. Which gives me access
to all information necessary for setting up everything else.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices [http://www.microsoft.com/mobile]

<Marlof Bregonje>; "MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message
| On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 2:55:00 -1000, Rolf Molini wrote
| (in message <#Myve#1HEHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>):
|
| > "ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >>
| >> "Rolf Molini" <molini@web.de> wrote in
| >> news:o wRwa5jHEHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

| >> Errr, as far as I know, iPAQ Filestore resides in
| >> what's left of the device's ROM memory. not RAM.
| >
| > Well, to be honest, I don't mind if it's RAM or ROM... because either is
TOO
| > SMALL!
|
| It does matter that it's in ROM (which it is), since it means
| the data in there should survive a hard reset. So although it's
| probably too small for many causes, it might be a cool place to
| store some documents you never want to be without. Like a
| cab-file of eWallet and your eWallet file. Which gives me access
| to all information necessary for setting up everything else.

The difference between RAM and ROM is perfectly clear to me... But this is
not, what it's about here...
I need a way to send email attachments to the SD-card. At the moment, this
is only possible if I prohibit the loading of the iPAQ File Store ROM.

I.e., I can NOT use the advantages of ROM that you describe (e.g. doing an
iPAQ Backup).

Problem is, that in the PocketOutlook dialog for saving attachments to card
there is only one place of storage to be chosen. And if iPAQ File Store is
loaded, this one is always presented. I read somewhere that WME uses the
"first" storage location (maybe ordered by name...).

So, my question is: How could I rename iPAQ File Store so that SD-card is
"first" in order and detected in the above mentioned dialog. Changing the
values in \HKLM\System\Storage Manager\Profiles did have no effect.

And moreover: Either by setting manually or having it set by WME the path to
SD-card in \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI\AttachPath, after a soft reset a
new directory "Storage Card" is created and the real SD-card-directory is
renamed to "Storage Card 2". Does anyone know, which kind of path I should
use to adress SD-card directly?

Regards
Rolf
!