Explorer problems after geforce4 card install

Sam

Hi,

After installing and then uninstalling an Nvidia geforce4 card, windows
explorer has started behaving oddly.

If I try and open a folder, any folder except My Docs, the "open with"
dialog box appears. All drives, applications and files work as expected,
it's just folders. I can access all folders with the two-pane view by
clicking on the file tree in the left hand pane but not the right hand
one. Even folders on my desktop are bust.

I have also noticed that "new" has fallen off the File menu and the
context menu so I can't make new folders or any new files using this method.

I have a 500mz system (I guess it's too old to work properly with the
geforce card) and haven't found a similar problem with a solution listed
on google.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sam.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:25:42 +0100, sam
<tessandsam@tessandsam.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After installing and then uninstalling an Nvidia geforce4 card, windows
>explorer has started behaving oddly.
>
>If I try and open a folder, any folder except My Docs, the "open with"
>dialog box appears. All drives, applications and files work as expected,
>it's just folders. I can access all folders with the two-pane view by
>clicking on the file tree in the left hand pane but not the right hand
>one. Even folders on my desktop are bust.
>
>I have also noticed that "new" has fallen off the File menu and the
>context menu so I can't make new folders or any new files using this method.
>
>I have a 500mz system (I guess it's too old to work properly with the
>geforce card) and haven't found a similar problem with a solution listed
> on google.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Sam.

The system is a bottleneck that holds back the GF4, but I
don't think it would cause that problem. It sounds like a setting for
how Window behaves got changed some how. My system did this a while
ago, and I didn't even change any hardware. Unfortunatly, I didn't
find the setting to change back, so I just formated, and reinstalled
the system. That's a radical fix, but it was time for me to clean
things up anyways.