Underclocking FX 5200 in 2D mode to cut heat

Hi,

I am a light gamer who recently bought a GeForce FX 5200 card. The
overclocking utility allows me to set clock speeds separately for 2D
and 3D modes. For 3D mode I obviously want to go as high as I can w/o
sacraficing stablity. However, since I don't like my computer to run
hot the 90 percent of the time that I am in 2D mode, I am thinking of
setting it to underclock when in 2D mode. My understanding is that
modern graphics cards are overkill for just about anything 2D. Where,
if anywhere, would I have a noticeable performance decrease if I set
the 2D clock speed to say half of the default?

Thanks.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I have the same thoughts. I have a GF4 4200 that I run 95% of the time
in 2D and set it to underclock it at startup to 80Mhz GPU / 460Mhz Memory.

When I play Doom3 or other games, I overclock it to 300Mhz / 600Mhz
memory.

I run XP and have use 61.77 drivers. It works like a charm with the
Overclocking
utility in these drivers to underclock the GF4.

Thru trial and error, I found these underclock settings that work with the
GF4.
I notice no real difference in 2D performance. It may be slightly slower
if
you scroll fast vertically through a graphically busy page, but my guess
is
you probably would not notice it. I am 'really' underclocked. Good Luck

I always understood that when you start running intensive programs the heat
increases?
Sure,it will run a bit hotter but not that much?
So i think in 2d mode you wont gain much in temps when decreasing
clockspeed?
Also i think there are not many demanding 2d games on the market.
Then again , i could be wrong.But my gf2 ran from 55C to well over 60C and i
was fine with that.
My current card don't have that chip on board so i don't really know.
I do know the heat from your video card can easily be reduced by connecting
a fan and pointing it in the direction of your card.
Also the card is supposed to run good without overclocking it and with good
case cooling it should not hurt your other components.
You should try lower settings,it will make your graphics slower and reduce a
little bit of heat.
Try and find out :)

"Daveman750" <dsimcha@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I am a light gamer who recently bought a GeForce FX 5200 card. The
> overclocking utility allows me to set clock speeds separately for 2D
> and 3D modes. For 3D mode I obviously want to go as high as I can w/o
> sacraficing stablity. However, since I don't like my computer to run
> hot the 90 percent of the time that I am in 2D mode, I am thinking of
> setting it to underclock when in 2D mode. My understanding is that
> modern graphics cards are overkill for just about anything 2D. Where,
> if anywhere, would I have a noticeable performance decrease if I set
> the 2D clock speed to say half of the default?
>
> Thanks.

The Windows elements that will take the greatest performance hit will be
things like transluscent menus and mouse cursor shadows.... if you are
running them. Other actions that will surely be slower are re-sizing video
windows and running 3D Winamp visualizers.