Need help with new computer: PCI-express or not

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Its time to buy a new computer. I really don't have the time or
inclination to build one myself. I have a great deal of respect for
those that can but it is not an optiion for me. The question is
whether I should go with a AGP or PCI-e system. I have read the
boards throughly and it appears to be the general opinion that PCI-e
isn't anything more than a marking gimmick at the present time. My
probelm is that I tend to keep computers for a long time with an
occational upgrade to the graphic card. This next machine is going to
have to last about 4 years. I don't want to turn around in two years
and find that I have to get another computer casue games won't run on
this one.
So should I bother PCI-e?
If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

You could wait until next year and if you're an intensive gamer, get a board
that can take 2 pci-express video cards. That way if you got, say, a 6600 GT
and it eventually wasn't fast enough your could throw another in and put the
jumper on between them. The non-GT 6600 won't have that capability.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> waxed eloquent in

> You could wait until next year and if you're an intensive gamer, get a
> board that can take 2 pci-express video cards. That way if you got,
> say, a 6600 GT and it eventually wasn't fast enough your could throw
> another in and put the jumper on between them. The non-GT 6600 won't
> have that capability.

Of course, the problem with this, is that currently the only boards that
do / will offer dual 16x PCI-e slots are also generally dual Xeon boards
that cost around $2-300....

--
-------------------------------------
Reply to for SPAM only

All others use:
m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk

Remove spaces to send
Thank you
-------------------------------------

Alan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability of
what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you will
need a new pc anyway.

"ColbytheDog" <maryedtucker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Its time to buy a new computer. I really don't have the time or
> inclination to build one myself. I have a great deal of respect for
> those that can but it is not an optiion for me. The question is
> whether I should go with a AGP or PCI-e system. I have read the
> boards throughly and it appears to be the general opinion that PCI-e
> isn't anything more than a marking gimmick at the present time. My
> probelm is that I tend to keep computers for a long time with an
> occational upgrade to the graphic card. This next machine is going to
> have to last about 4 years. I don't want to turn around in two years
> and find that I have to get another computer casue games won't run on
> this one.
> So should I bother PCI-e?
> If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
> would be appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
> would be appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks

Never a good idea to invest in the first rev of a new technology. I would sit tight with what you
have and wait for PCI-e v2. The other options is to go for trailing edge stuff in the interrim
because it is very cheap right now - I picked up an XP2800+ cpu, nforce2 mobo and a 9800 pro, all
of which seem to have extended the life of my rig for a year or two ( or rather, 'it can run Doom 3
well').... but that depends on what you have now.

Now certainly isnt a good time to buy new technology IMO though, because the added performance just
doesnt warrent it - the software to really test 64 bit processing isnt there, so we dont know how
well it will work, and Doom3 (and presumably HL2) seems to be acceptable with trailing edge kit (at
least it works well with mine!)

"Sham B" <shamb@takemeouteasynet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<411d0d9a$0$6015$afc38c87@auth.uk.news.easynet.net>...
> > If you feel like giving me your thoughts on ABS or Hypersonic, that
> > would be appreciated as well.
> >
> > Thanks
>

> Never a good idea to invest in the first rev of a new technology. I would sit tight with what you
> have and wait for PCI-e v2. The other options is to go for trailing edge stuff in the interrim
> because it is very cheap right now - I picked up an XP2800+ cpu, nforce2 mobo and a 9800 pro, all
> of which seem to have extended the life of my rig for a year or two ( or rather, 'it can run Doom 3
> well').... but that depends on what you have now.
>
> Now certainly isnt a good time to buy new technology IMO though, because the added performance just
> doesnt warrent it - the software to really test 64 bit processing isnt there, so we dont know how
> well it will work, and Doom3 (and presumably HL2) seems to be acceptable with trailing edge kit (at
> least it works well with mine!)

Thanks for the input. My present machine is about 5 yrd old. I
increase the RAM to 256 and stuck a ATI 9000 in the hopes of making it
strech to early 2005. Unfortunately, its got to go. So I gues the way
to go for now is with the AGP based systems.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Jason Ash" <m0ng0lh0rde@netscape.net> wrote

> Of course, the problem with this, is that currently the only boards that
> do / will offer dual 16x PCI-e slots are also generally dual Xeon boards
> that cost around $2-300....

You have to wait until next year....

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Alan" <alandyuan@verizon.net> wrote in message
> No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability of
> what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you
will
> need a new pc anyway.

Alan, why???
one problem is that I was looking for a dual Xeon motherboard (workstation,
compatible with 64-bit Naconas) and they seem to all have PXI-Express (the
new cards). Now, one can't fit AGP into PCI-Express from what I know...
Why do you say that graphic cards can't utilize PCI-Express now?

Luke Piasecki wrote:

> "Alan" <alandyuan@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> No graphic card at this time or near future can utilize full capability
>> of what the PCI express delivers. Until 2-3 years later. At that time you
> will
>> need a new pc anyway.
>
> Alan, why???
> one problem is that I was looking for a dual Xeon motherboard
> (workstation, compatible with 64-bit Naconas) and they seem to all have
> PXI-Express (the new cards). Now, one can't fit AGP into PCI-Express from
> what I know... Why do you say that graphic cards can't utilize PCI-Express
> now?

Because they aren't doing anything with it that they don't do just as well
with AGP.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

maryedtucker@hotmail.com (ColbytheDog) said:

> So should I bother PCI-e?

I think it's bad timing but if you really plan to keep it 4 years your
video upgrade options will be limited after a couple of years.
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9545161511F9MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> maryedtucker@hotmail.com (ColbytheDog) said:
>
> > So should I bother PCI-e?
>
> I think it's bad timing but if you really plan to keep it 4 years your
> video upgrade options will be limited after a couple of years.

Limited if I stuck with AGP or went with PCI-e?
I hate paying a premium for stuff when it first comes out, as do most.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

maryedtucker@hotmail.com (ColbytheDog) said:

>> > So should I bother PCI-e?
>>
>> I think it's bad timing but if you really plan to keep it 4 years your
>> video upgrade options will be limited after a couple of years.
>
> Limited if I stuck with AGP or went with PCI-e?
> I hate paying a premium for stuff when it first comes out, as do most.

Limited if you stick with AGP...

VLB, video local bus, was a much needed improvement over ISA video and was
quickly adopted when it came out, it was also quickly dropped when PCI
came out. When AGP came along, it took off after a year or so but PCI
didn't go away. Since AGP is a video only option, like VLB, I would expect
manufacturers to stop making AGP within a couple of years, just like VLB.

I could be wrong, but after PCI-E catches on, manufacturers aren't going
to continue making new cards for old motherboards for very long.
--
Mac Cool