I'm fedd up off this, anyone please?????

Hello.

I have some money to spend on a new/second hand graphics card and in your
opinion what's the best choice for money and please let's try to be
reasonable here (budget is around 60 to 70 quid).

I just started to play DOOM 3 on a P IV 2.5Ghz 533Mhz 512K cache plus 1.0Gb
DDR333Mhz, 40GB HDD, a Pentium IV MSI motherboard 845E with a Geforce4
Ti4200 128MB DDR 4X and it plays really nice with no flaws or stops actually
better then in my own PC P IV 2.4Ghz 800Mhz 512K cache, 512MB DDR400, 120GB
HDD (5Gbs free space thought) on a Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR 8X where Far Cry
won't play without stopping and freezing every now and again whenever
there's some shooting, it must be for sure due to the lack of space on the
HDD, so please lets try to be reasonable here.

To all of you that are feed up with me as I've been putting here some posts
over the past two weeks or so I apologize to you all and wish all the best
of luck.

Cheers and many thanks,

Carlos

YOu could use another 512MB of RAM, free up about another 10 GB of free
space on your drive, you roughly should try to keep 10% free at all time,
and keep it defragmented, and look for an FX5700, its similar in speed to a
GF4Ti4200, but adds DX9 support.

Carlos Arruda wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have some money to spend on a new/second hand graphics card and in your
> opinion what's the best choice for money and please let's try to be
> reasonable here (budget is around 60 to 70 quid).
>
> I just started to play DOOM 3 on a P IV 2.5Ghz 533Mhz 512K cache plus 1.0Gb
> DDR333Mhz, 40GB HDD, a Pentium IV MSI motherboard 845E with a Geforce4
> Ti4200 128MB DDR 4X and it plays really nice with no flaws or stops actually
> better then in my own PC P IV 2.4Ghz 800Mhz 512K cache, 512MB DDR400, 120GB
> HDD (5Gbs free space thought) on a Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR 8X where Far Cry
> won't play without stopping and freezing every now and again whenever
> there's some shooting, it must be for sure due to the lack of space on the
> HDD, so please lets try to be reasonable here.
>
> To all of you that are feed up with me as I've been putting here some posts
> over the past two weeks or so I apologize to you all and wish all the best
> of luck.
>
> Cheers and many thanks,
>
> Carlos

Hi

For 60 - 70 quid the best you could do is a vanilla FX 5700 or a Radeon
9600 ( try and avoid the SE models ). I dunno about the Radeon, but the
FX 5700 wouldna' be a significant upgrade if 'twas the Ultra version.
However, you canna get a 5700 Ultra for that price. I dunno how much
faster the vanilla 5700 ( http://tinyurl.com/3vs82 )would be than the
vanilla 5200 which you said you have, but it definitely would be faster.
However, a Radeon 9600 would be faster as well. I dunno how fast the 128
bit cards such http://tinyurl.com/65qel would do. The problem is that at
that price range yer better of getting a second hand Ti4600 or
something. The best thing to do is wait until the GF6 6600s come out.
Then the prices of stuff like 5700 Ultra should come down. Now that
would be a more significant upgrade. The thing is there aren't many
benchmarks for the vanilla versions of cards. Everyone benches the 5700
Ultra but not the vanilla versions and the same it true for the Radeon
9600; not many benches for the vanilla 9600, only the 9600 Pro.

The sweet spot for graphics cards is unfortunately £150, to get value
for money and lastability. The GF4 Ti 4200 was there, then the Radeon
9600 Pro and soon the GF 6 6600 GT. I dunno if the GF 6 6600 will last
as long as the Ti 4200, but that was a great card.