Coincidence or did I do something wrong. HD fragmentation

P2 233 class GW system, now with Cel 466,AllOX MB2,2 12Mb voodoo cards
and an original Permedia 2 video card, 6.4g HD, ensoniq card. All this
worked happily together many years, then, alas I grew up, left the
things of my youth (I was about 52 then) and moved on to a custom box.
I recently decided to do a clean install of win98se (formerly Win95
os2)on the olde GW, and all went fine until the cd rom died (replaced).
On/off switch broke. Replaced with one that hangs by wires down the
front side of the uncovered face (looks kinda cool in a utilitarian
way). I reformated to FAT32, upgraded the drivers on the voodoos,
permedia2, ensoniq, and brought DX to DX 8(.1)?Now, after wireless
networking the rig, and putting on all the Win98 updates (it was
ravenous when it went to the MS site) security doodads..(it would
freeze occassionally)it started to have issues. I defrag and reboot,
the HD reports huge fragmentation on both partitions? Is my HD dying.
Keeps happening. Had to defrag in safe mode. Does my rig have
metastatic disease? How do I tell. Or, what did i do wrong? I've been
using Norton utilities to defrag and Disk doctor to doctor the disk.
System Check shows only the issue with the HD? Cheers, and help. I
could buy a new used HD. This is fun in a masochistic sort of way.
Cheers, and, oh, help!

Determine the manufacturer of the hard drive inside, probably Western Digital.
Download and run the drive manufacturer's hard disk diagnostics to find out the
true state of the hard drive. Scandisk, running though the bloated layers of
the Windows operating system, does not necessarily tell you what you would need
to know. The mfrs diagnostics run directly at the hardware level and determine
with near 100% accuracy the state of the drive and whether or not there are any
bad sectors. If there is even ONE bad sector on the drive, even if it can be
repaired, consider the drive history and replace it. One bad sector is a sign
of even more dire future consequences.

Depending on the motherboard BIOS, the native BIOS limit of hard drive capacity
may be as low as 8.4MB, possibly higher... Ben Myers

On 5 Feb 2005 07:04:03 -0800, "zZero" <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:

>P2 233 class GW system, now with Cel 466,AllOX MB2,2 12Mb voodoo cards
>and an original Permedia 2 video card, 6.4g HD, ensoniq card. All this
>worked happily together many years, then, alas I grew up, left the
>things of my youth (I was about 52 then) and moved on to a custom box.
>I recently decided to do a clean install of win98se (formerly Win95
>os2)on the olde GW, and all went fine until the cd rom died (replaced).
>On/off switch broke. Replaced with one that hangs by wires down the
>front side of the uncovered face (looks kinda cool in a utilitarian
>way). I reformated to FAT32, upgraded the drivers on the voodoos,
>permedia2, ensoniq, and brought DX to DX 8(.1)?Now, after wireless
>networking the rig, and putting on all the Win98 updates (it was
>ravenous when it went to the MS site) security doodads..(it would
>freeze occassionally)it started to have issues. I defrag and reboot,
>the HD reports huge fragmentation on both partitions? Is my HD dying.
>Keeps happening. Had to defrag in safe mode. Does my rig have
>metastatic disease? How do I tell. Or, what did i do wrong? I've been
>using Norton utilities to defrag and Disk doctor to doctor the disk.
>System Check shows only the issue with the HD? Cheers, and help. I
>could buy a new used HD. This is fun in a masochistic sort of way.
>Cheers, and, oh, help!

Afer mucking about with the WD diagnostic, I found an archived version
that would work from dos. The windows version would freeze up halfway
through. The extended test (10 minutes) found no problems. Now what.
reF again?

128Mb.

I reformatted the C partition and so far so good. I defragged as well.
So far my wireless connection sees the router, but isn't connecting to
the web. My GW is the one with the wireless usb adapter. Signal
capture is reasonable. It connected b4 reformat, but only when the
other rig was online?? Cheers

Sorry. I should have referred you to the WD DOS-based diagnostic to beging
with.

I think I'd consider replacing the Permedia card with almost any AGP card with a
chipset manufacturer still in business: ATI, Matrox, nVidia.

The extent of the hard drive fragmentation confuses me. After installing all
the software drivers and Windows updates, there is a lot of hard disk
fragmentation. Defragment and see what happens.

How much memory in the system? If less than 128MB, this could well explain the
instability of the system... Ben Myers