Best Firewall

Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...
19 answers Last reply
More about best firewall

    In article <1125582451.330193.249720@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    hplayer03 <rosnermd@gmail.com> wrote:
    :Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    :ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...

    The archives of the discussion here of 2 weeks ago can be found at
    http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.security.firewalls/browse_thread/thread/3cb458fc2a080a29/95268c01857e1e89

    In particular, quoting from my answer of the time:

    We'll need to know your set of metrics (measurement functions that assign
    specific numeric values), and the weighting function used to
    project from the measurement list into a final score. The decision
    of which is the "best" is dependant on what you mean by "best".

    "hplayer03" <rosnermd@gmail.com> wrote in news:1125582451.330193.249720
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    > ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...

    Hey, download the trial ware and find the one that fits your needs. No one
    can tell you what's the best and you must figure it out on your own based
    on your needs.

    Duane :)

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article
    <1125582451.330193.249720@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, hplayer03 wrote:

    >Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    >ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...

    Just wondering what was the best motor vehicle?? i.e. BMW M3, Toyota
    Prism, Hummer H2, White Freightliner...

    It depends whether you want to go racing, or haul a hundred refrigerators
    across the state.

    Now, if you'd care to define your problem a little more specifically, you
    might get a more specific answer. Then again, if you are asking about a
    "personal" firewall for some version of windoze (note that you didn't
    even bother mentioning your operating platform or O/S), all you might
    get is the usual flame war equivalent to which beer is better.

    Old guy

    hplayer03 <rosnermd@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    > ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...

    Those are not firewalls. They're "Personal Firewalls", products
    one doesn't need.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    On 2005-09-01, Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org> blabbed:
    > hplayer03 <rosnermd@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    >> ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...
    > Those are not firewalls. They're "Personal Firewalls", products
    > one doesn't need.

    To expand on that (and I agree for the most part) you may wish to look
    into a Cisco PIX, SonicWALL, etc... an alternate solution is a dedicated
    machine running linux/*nix of some variety setup strictly as a
    firewall... although I'm personally a fan of dedicated specialized
    equipment when it comes to networking equipment.

    --
    Shadus

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:09:45 -0500, Shadus <shadus@shadus.org> wrote:

    >On 2005-09-01, Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org> blabbed:
    >> hplayer03 <rosnermd@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Just wondering what was the best Free or Purchased Firewall?? ie.
    >>> ZoneAlarm, Norton, Sygate...
    >> Those are not firewalls. They're "Personal Firewalls", products
    >> one doesn't need.
    >
    >To expand on that (and I agree for the most part) you may wish to look
    >into a Cisco PIX, SonicWALL, etc... an alternate solution is a dedicated
    >machine running linux/*nix of some variety setup strictly as a
    >firewall... although I'm personally a fan of dedicated specialized
    >equipment when it comes to networking equipment.

    I understand the arguments against software firewalls and pro hardware
    firewalls, but these units currently range in price from US$1000 to
    more than $15000. There are a few between $600 - $999.

    Not exactly attractive to the home broadband user.

    If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.

    Until there are sub $100 dollar hardware firewalls, people are going
    to go for the perceived protection of software firewalls, whether real
    or not.

    In article <3useh1p0p3scd9v90s0vr301f6fpvnkpol@4ax.com>,
    J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote:
    :If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    :Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    :firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    :in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    :sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.

    Cisco doesn't do -any- "low cost home user-oriented" devices,
    not under their own brand name. Cisco's support organization
    isn't equipped to handle masses of questions from people who
    expect practically-free support.

    Cisco does make some inexpensive devices under it's Linksys
    brandname, that it markets as "firewalls". Linksys support is
    third-world call-center, last I heard... be sure to have your
    Windows re-install discs ready so you can follow the script.
    --
    Oh, to be a Blobel!

    J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote in

    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:09:45 -0500, Shadus <shadus@shadus.org> wrote:

    >>> Those are not firewalls. They're "Personal Firewalls", products
    >>> one doesn't need.
    >>
    >>To expand on that (and I agree for the most part) you may wish to look
    >>into a Cisco PIX, SonicWALL, etc... an alternate solution is a
    dedicated
    >>machine running linux/*nix of some variety setup strictly as a
    >>firewall... although I'm personally a fan of dedicated specialized
    >>equipment when it comes to networking equipment.
    >
    > I understand the arguments against software firewalls and pro hardware
    > firewalls, but these units currently range in price from US$1000 to
    > more than $15000. There are a few between $600 - $999.
    >
    > Not exactly attractive to the home broadband user.
    >
    > If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    > Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    > firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    > in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    > sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.
    >
    > Until there are sub $100 dollar hardware firewalls, people are going
    > to go for the perceived protection of software firewalls, whether real
    > or not.

    What? You can go get a refurbished/used low-end one for $100 or less that
    will have a full 90 day warrantee and support on them.

    Duane :)
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <df7tbc$qrl$1@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>,
    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca says...
    > In article <3useh1p0p3scd9v90s0vr301f6fpvnkpol@4ax.com>,
    > J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote:
    > :If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    > :Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    > :firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    > :in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    > :sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.
    >
    > Cisco doesn't do -any- "low cost home user-oriented" devices,
    > not under their own brand name. Cisco's support organization
    > isn't equipped to handle masses of questions from people who
    > expect practically-free support.
    >
    > Cisco does make some inexpensive devices under it's Linksys
    > brandname, that it markets as "firewalls". Linksys support is
    > third-world call-center, last I heard... be sure to have your
    > Windows re-install discs ready so you can follow the script.

    I just spoke with Linksys tech support today. The tech I spoke
    with was located in the Phillipines. He did walk me through
    setting up my router (after changing cable modems) and was helpful
    and polite.

    I find that the 24/7 aspect of Linksys tech support is worth a lot.

    Louise
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <Xns96C4AF45EED06notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17>,
    notme@notme.com says...
    > J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote in
    >
    > > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:09:45 -0500, Shadus <shadus@shadus.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >>On 2005-09-01, Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org> blabbed:
    > >>
    > >>To expand on that (and I agree for the most part) you may wish to look
    > >>into a Cisco PIX, SonicWALL, etc... an alternate solution is a
    > dedicated
    > >>machine running linux/*nix of some variety setup strictly as a
    > >>firewall... although I'm personally a fan of dedicated specialized
    > >>equipment when it comes to networking equipment.
    > >
    > > I understand the arguments against software firewalls and pro hardware
    > > firewalls, but these units currently range in price from US$1000 to
    > > more than $15000. There are a few between $600 - $999.
    > >
    > > Not exactly attractive to the home broadband user.
    > >
    > > If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    > > Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    > > firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    > > in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    > > sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.
    > >
    > > Until there are sub $100 dollar hardware firewalls, people are going
    > > to go for the perceived protection of software firewalls, whether real
    > > or not.
    > >

    > What? You can go get a refurbished/used low-end one for $100 or less that
    > will have a full 90 day warrantee and support on them.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Where? If you don't know a lot about firewalls (I'm using Sygate
    at the moment), would a hardware firewall be difficult to set up?

    TIA

    Louise
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    louise <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

    > In article <Xns96C4AF45EED06notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17>,
    > notme@notme.com says...
    >> J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote in

    >> dedicated
    >> >
    >> > I understand the arguments against software firewalls and pro
    >> > hardware firewalls, but these units currently range in price from
    >> > US$1000 to more than $15000. There are a few between $600 - $999.
    >> >
    >> > Not exactly attractive to the home broadband user.
    >> >
    >> > If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    >> > Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    >> > firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might
    >> > lose in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in
    >> > volume of sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.
    >> >
    >> > Until there are sub $100 dollar hardware firewalls, people are
    >> > going to go for the perceived protection of software firewalls,
    >> > whether real or not.
    >> >

    >> What? You can go get a refurbished/used low-end one for $100 or less
    >> that will have a full 90 day warrantee and support on them.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > Where? If you don't know a lot about firewalls (I'm using Sygate
    > at the moment), would a hardware firewall be difficult to set up?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Louise

    There have been some posts providing links for Watchguard units made to
    me. Unfortunately, I didn't keep them. I sure if you got on the phone
    with Watchguard sales they could point you in the right direction. And I
    would suspect the same with other brands such as Sonicwall and others.

    The units are plug and play like the Linksys you talked about in your
    other post and need little configuration on your part. You could look at
    the WG Firebox III SOHO 6 or 6tc line. If you're working with a Linksys
    router they are not much different than that just more powerful in the
    rules that can be set. Most of the rules for service like HTTP HTTPS,
    SMTP, etc etc have already been configured for you. You just have to
    enable them when needed, along with being able to make your own custom
    rules too when needed. It's a piece of cake.

    Duane :)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <Xns96C4D04ADD3Dnotmenotmecom@204.127.199.17>,
    notme@notme.com says...
    > louise <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > In article <Xns96C4AF45EED06notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17>,
    > > notme@notme.com says...
    > >> J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote in

    > >> dedicated

    > >> What? You can go get a refurbished/used low-end one for $100 or less
    > >> that will have a full 90 day warrantee and support on them.
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)

    thanks - I found the user manual online and I'm going to attempt to
    comprehend it :-)

    Louise
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On 2005-09-01, J E Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> blabbed:
    > I understand the arguments against software firewalls and pro hardware
    > firewalls, but these units currently range in price from US$1000 to
    > more than $15000. There are a few between $600 - $999.

    I paid 230$ for my cisco pix 501. I don't consider that an abhorant
    ammount for a firewall for my home network. It also lets me open a vpn
    to my place of work and use their network just like i'm sitting there.

    > If the arguments for hardware firewalls are so compelling, it seems
    > Cisco, Sonicwall, and others would be developing low cost hardware
    > firewall solutions for non-commercial home users. What they might lose
    > in high margins on expensive units, they could regain in volume of
    > sales of low cost home user-oriented boxes.
    >
    > Until there are sub $100 dollar hardware firewalls, people are going
    > to go for the perceived protection of software firewalls, whether real
    > or not.

    Anything is better than nothing, so a software firewall isn't a bad
    plan. Again I mentioned a really low cost solution, build a pc for
    $150 on pricewatch, install linux, and tweak it up. Shrug, takes time
    and learning something about security and networking, but it's cheap.

    The real problem that keeps home users from using hardware firewalls is
    they require configuration and if something involves more than "plug in"
    and "turn on" most home users "tune out".

    --
    Shadus
  14. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > The real problem that keeps home users from using hardware firewalls is
    > they require configuration and if something involves more than "plug in"
    > and "turn on" most home users "tune out".

    But they will sit there and play with a PFW solution and wonder why things
    are not working with the bloat ware in them. ;-)

    Duane :)
  15. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote:
    > Next come up with a way to convince a 79 year-old user or Joe the
    > mechanic and his wife Marge the waitress that they need to spend
    > another 50 bucks for a router and $100 - 300 + a $100/year
    > subscription fee for a mystery box that, as far as they can tell,
    > should have been part of the PC they already paid good damn money for.
    > Got an answer the average, non-techie, user will understand?

    Yes. Marge & Joe are completely right.

    Microsoft should start to deliver their software with a secure basic
    installation.

    Windows XP SP2 is the very first step in this direction, and a long, long
    way to go.

    Say: Marge & Joe should by a Macintosh ;-)

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  16. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    begin quotation
    from Volker Birk <bumens@dingens.org>
    in message <431939b2@news.uni-ulm.de>
    posted at 2005-09-03T05:50
    > J. E. Durbin <slothrop@example.com.invalid> wrote:
    >> Next come up with a way to convince a 79 year-old user or Joe
    >> the mechanic and his wife Marge the waitress that they need to
    >> spend another 50 bucks for a router and $100 - 300 + a $100/year
    >> subscription fee for a mystery box that, as far as they can tell,
    >> should have been part of the PC they already paid good damn money
    >> for. Got an answer the average, non-techie, user will understand?

    > Yes. Marge & Joe are completely right.

    > Microsoft should start to deliver their software with a secure basic
    > installation.

    You mean the same way OpenBSD has for years?

    > Windows XP SP2 is the very first step in this direction, and a long,
    > long way to go.

    Agreed, and Microsoft has no excuse for taking this long to finally take
    security seriously.

    > Say: Marge & Joe should by a Macintosh ;-)

    You don't have to dump the PC to dump Windows. This is exactly why I
    flame people for saying "PC" when they really mean "PC running Windows".

    That said, I do trust Apple more than Microsoft, which is not really
    saying much. In some ways dealing with Apple is worse, because they are
    the single source for Macintosh/iMac hardware, you can't just go to a
    clone shop if you think Apple charges too much.

    --
    ___ _ _____ |*|
    / __| |/ / _ \ |*| Shawn K. Quinn

    Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn@speakeasy.net> wrote:
    > > Microsoft should start to deliver their software with a secure basic
    > > installation.
    > You mean the same way OpenBSD has for years?

    Something like that.

    > > Say: Marge & Joe should by a Macintosh ;-)
    > You don't have to dump the PC to dump Windows. This is exactly why I
    > flame people for saying "PC" when they really mean "PC running Windows".
    > That said, I do trust Apple more than Microsoft, which is not really
    > saying much. In some ways dealing with Apple is worse, because they are
    > the single source for Macintosh/iMac hardware, you can't just go to a
    > clone shop if you think Apple charges too much.

    I'm writing this on a Powerbook - but this machine is running Debian
    GNU/Linux ;-) I'm not a fan of Mac hardware, though. Because I developed
    software for the Mac, I had to have a Mac.

    No, this is not what I mean. I think, if you're not a technician, then
    maybe a Macintosh with OSX is the only platform I know you can handle.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  18. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "Walter Roberson" <roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message

    > "No one has the right to destroy another person's belief by
    > demanding empirical evidence." -- Ann Landers

    That's a good quote
  19. You can find some affordable network firewalls by watchguard. They have a wide range of products to select from, great for your online security.

Firewalls Internet Explorer Security Networking