Bootup hang when using GeForce2 Card

Had to do a reinstall of Windows ME last night, which I have done before
with no problem on this computer in the past. However, this time after I get
my GeForce 2 card reinstalled and reboot, after the splash screen, Windows
stop loading, forcing me to unplug the computer. I then went into the
computer BIOS and switch that way back to my onboard video and reboot. The
onboard doesn't give me any problems and Windows boots normally. Checking
Device Manager, it says the device is working properly and there isn't a
conflict flag up.

I simply can't find a good reason why it isn't working =/

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Rodcet Nife wrote:
> Had to do a reinstall of Windows ME last night, which I have done before
> with no problem on this computer in the past. However, this time after I get
> my GeForce 2 card reinstalled and reboot, after the splash screen, Windows
> stop loading, forcing me to unplug the computer. I then went into the
> computer BIOS and switch that way back to my onboard video and reboot. The
> onboard doesn't give me any problems and Windows boots normally. Checking
> Device Manager, it says the device is working properly and there isn't a
> conflict flag up.
>
> I simply can't find a good reason why it isn't working =/
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

With an older OS like ME, you might need a motherboard chipset driver
installed BEFORE the video driver. Also on some older VIA boards you
have to first install an old version of the previous 4-in-1 drivers
(like 4.20) to first set a MWQ flag in the chipset -- otherwise you'll
get lockups.

Additionally make sure that the onboard video is completely disabled in
that it doesn't reserve memory or an IRQ. You'll still need "Assign IRQ
to VGA" for your GF2, but make sure there aren't specific settings for
the onboard.

Lastly, reset to BIOS defaults and make sure Sidebanding is off and so
it Fast Writes (they had major problems specifically with the GF2 series
and before).

Did you install the AGP GART driver after reinstalling the OS?

Rodcet Nife wrote:
> Had to do a reinstall of Windows ME last night, which I have done before
> with no problem on this computer in the past. However, this time after I get
> my GeForce 2 card reinstalled and reboot, after the splash screen, Windows
> stop loading, forcing me to unplug the computer. I then went into the
> computer BIOS and switch that way back to my onboard video and reboot. The
> onboard doesn't give me any problems and Windows boots normally. Checking
> Device Manager, it says the device is working properly and there isn't a
> conflict flag up.
>
> I simply can't find a good reason why it isn't working =/
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sorry.... I'm persistant and reinstalled my card 20 times... the 20th time
for some reason worked....

but thanks very much for the advice!