Print shareing with Symantec Client firewall

I'm trying to setup a shared printer on one of my machines on my
network but I think that Symantec client firewall (current version
8.6) is blocking the connection. I am able to connect to a shared
directory on the machine.

I haven't had time to research the problem so I'm asking for
suggestions you might have available.

Thanks

Jeff

"JSS" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to setup a shared printer on one of my machines on my
> network but I think that Symantec client firewall (current version
> 8.6) is blocking the connection. I am able to connect to a shared
> directory on the machine.
>
> I haven't had time to research the problem so I'm asking for
> suggestions you might have available.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

JSS <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a shared printer on one of my machines on my
> network but I think that Symantec client firewall (current version
> 8.6) is blocking the connection. I am able to connect to a shared
> directory on the machine.
> I haven't had time to research the problem so I'm asking for
> suggestions you might have available.

Why do you want to do host based filtering in your LAN at all?
I hope, the gateway into the internet is filtering, is it?

Then I think, you will not want host based filtering extra, because
to handle this securely, you need much know how, and it's only
necessary if you're assuming, that there can be attacks from inside
also.

Of course, if you're fearing for i.e. worm attacks from inside, then
host based filtering can help. But what is your concept against
malware?

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:07:21 -0600, "Teddybare"
<wlindley@konnections.net> wrote:

>"JSS" <onlyjunkmail@email.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to setup a shared printer on one of my machines on my
>> network but I think that Symantec client firewall (current version
>> 8.6) is blocking the connection. I am able to connect to a shared
>> directory on the machine.
>>
>> I haven't had time to research the problem so I'm asking for
>> suggestions you might have available.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jeff

Thanks, very informative. I will try your suggestions soon as I can.
LOL

Jeff

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

JSS wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a shared printer on one of my machines on my
> network but I think that Symantec client firewall (current version
> 8.6) is blocking the connection. I am able to connect to a shared
> directory on the machine.
>
> I haven't had time to research the problem so I'm asking for
> suggestions you might have available.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Have you turned on "printer sharing"?
Control panel / network / click on "File and Print sharing" "I want to be able
to allow others to print to my printer"
Did you run the "network" wizard in Symantec firewall program?