Geforce 6800 Temperature?

Hi!

I was wondering what temperature your gpu is running in? Mine is with fan
attached = 53 degrees C, and with the fan disconnected = 101 degrees C.

Do you think this high temperature will break the card? The slowdown limit
is at 135 degrees on my card!

Regards
Kent
10 answers Last reply
More about geforce 6800 temperature

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:15:53 +0000, Kent Nordström wrote:

    > I was wondering what temperature your gpu is running in? Mine is with fan
    > attached = 53 degrees C, and with the fan disconnected = 101 degrees C.

    I would imagine having a 101C heating element inside your case would cause
    other problems as well! The fan is there for a reason. That is to take
    heat away from the heatsink so that the card doesn't melt. I would imagine
    the pcb that it is soldered to may start to burn if you run it at those
    temperatures for too long ;)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

    100C is the boiling point of water. Do you really want to run your card
    hotter than that?

    --
    DaveW

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:15:53 GMT, "Kent Nordström" <kent74@telia.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I was wondering what temperature your gpu is running in? Mine is with fan
    >attached = 53 degrees C, and with the fan disconnected = 101 degrees C.

    Mean time to catastrophic failure of commercial silicon doubles for
    every 10 degrees C rise in temp above 70 degrees C.

    Plus design timing margins are normally set at 90 degrees C
    for commercial silicon in design simulation. Silicon slows fast with
    rising temperature. Expect graphics corruption.

    Anyway your assessment of 101 degrees is ridiculous -- which
    worst-case fully-silicon exercising benchmark were you running
    when you measure the temp.

    BTW, the core-temp limit built into the nVidia silicon and driver
    of 135 or 140 degrees is intended to catch gross and catastrophic
    ventilation failure. not long-term systematic overheating.

    John Lewis

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:23:22 +0000, John Lewis wrote:

    > BTW, the core-temp limit built into the nVidia silicon and driver
    > of 135 or 140 degrees is intended to catch gross and catastrophic
    > ventilation failure. not long-term systematic overheating.

    Depending on the type of solder, the melting point can be from 138C to
    175C. I am talking liquid here, not just softened!
    I imagine such high temperatures would run the risk of the GPU actually
    falling off completely!
    That would be worth a photo on priceless.com ;)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

    Thanks very much for the responses!

    If the card reaches the 135 degree peak limit, the Help states that Gpu will
    slow down to avoid overheating! Thus degrees lower than 135 degrees are not
    considered overheating the card. I also find this strange but looking at the
    level-meter (in the Nvidia-properties) it only starts showing red when the
    temperature is about 90 degrees. My common sense tells me to turn the
    gpu-fan back on, but does not the level-meter show that it is ok? I think it
    does...

    /Kent

    Btw No melt down pictures yet ;-)

    jafar wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:23:22 +0000, John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> BTW, the core-temp limit built into the nVidia silicon and driver
    >> of 135 or 140 degrees is intended to catch gross and catastrophic
    >> ventilation failure. not long-term systematic overheating.
    >
    > Depending on the type of solder, the melting point can be from 138C to
    > 175C. I am talking liquid here, not just softened!
    > I imagine such high temperatures would run the risk of the GPU actually
    > falling off completely!
    > That would be worth a photo on priceless.com ;)

    So what silicon eutectic melts at 175C? You're assuming that the leads are
    bonded to the chip using ordinary tin-lead solders or their lead-free
    equivalents, when they're actually bonded using silicon-gold,
    silicon-aluminum, or silicon-whatever else the wire is made of eutectics
    that have a significantly higher melting point. Further, the chip is
    usually epoxy-bonded to the substrate so it does't "fall off completely"
    even if all the leads are detached.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:37:05 GMT, "Kent Nordström" <kent74@telia.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks very much for the responses!
    >
    >If the card reaches the 135 degree peak limit, the Help states that Gpu will
    >slow down to avoid overheating! Thus degrees lower than 135 degrees are not
    >considered overheating the card.

    Nonsense. I am an engineer involved in silicon design.
    Commercial silicon is normally simulated at 90 degrees C,
    20 degrees above the case temp maximum for commercial
    silicon ( 70 degrees C)

    You want my honest opinion about the non-adjustable 135 degree
    limit in the NV35 driver ? Probably a silicon-design screw-up - it was
    meant to be lower..... Limit seems to be around 90 degrees C
    in the 6800 family, with (according to another thread in this
    newsgroup) slowing of the internal clock-rate a la Intel's protection
    mechanism on their CPUs.

    Military silicon -- based on very conservative processes, 350 nm
    or higher --- is only rated to 125 degrees C.

    Run your 5900 without a fan ( or equivalently-efficient heat
    removal ) at your peril; just make sure that you have money
    for a replacement in the bank. The failure mode is normally
    catastrophic and irreversible; frequently with no warning.

    John Lewis

    > Thanks very much for the responses!
    >
    > If the card reaches the 135 degree peak limit, the Help states that Gpu
    will
    > slow down to avoid overheating! Thus degrees lower than 135 degrees are
    not
    > considered overheating the card. I also find this strange but looking at
    the
    > level-meter (in the Nvidia-properties) it only starts showing red when the
    > temperature is about 90 degrees. My common sense tells me to turn the
    > gpu-fan back on, but does not the level-meter show that it is ok? I think
    it
    > does...

    Kent, why ask the question if you are just going to ignore everyone?

    Everyone here is saying (and I agree) that 100c is too hot. What do you
    want to hear?

    (And apart from anything else you say " it only starts showing red when the
    temperature is about 90 degrees". What does RED tell you? Fine and dandy?
    No problem, no worries"??? Red tells me danger!)

    Chip

    What I was trying to find out in the original post was how hot your similar
    graphics cards was running!

    I think that it is interesting that I was able to run the card for several
    hours playing Doom3 and Far Cry without any glitch watsoever with a
    temperature over 100 degrees C.

    I also find it interesting that the nvidia control panel displays a degree
    of 90 as being ok!

    I got alot of interesting feedback, but I'm still waiting for any user who
    actually has any practical overheating experience with the 6800.

    I don't mean to offend anyone, the knowledge in this group is tremendous!
    Got some very interesting feedback from John Lewis for example, thanks very
    much I now know a bit more! :)

    /Kent

    Btw As I dont want to risk my harddrives in the process I now have attached
    the gpu-fan again :)

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > "Kent Nordström" <kent74@telia.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks very much for the responses!
    > >
    > > If the card reaches the 135 degree peak limit, the Help states that Gpu
    > will
    > > slow down to avoid overheating! Thus degrees lower than 135 degrees are
    > not
    > > considered overheating the card. I also find this strange but looking at
    > the
    > > level-meter (in the Nvidia-properties) it only starts showing red when
    the
    > > temperature is about 90 degrees. My common sense tells me to turn the
    > > gpu-fan back on, but does not the level-meter show that it is ok? I
    think
    > it
    > > does...
    >
    > Kent, why ask the question if you are just going to ignore everyone?
    >
    > Everyone here is saying (and I agree) that 100c is too hot. What do you
    > want to hear?
    >
    > (And apart from anything else you say " it only starts showing red when
    the
    > temperature is about 90 degrees". What does RED tell you? Fine and
    dandy?
    > No problem, no worries"??? Red tells me danger!)
    >
    > Chip

    "Kent Nordström" <kent74@telia.com> wrote:
    > What I was trying to find out in the original post was how hot your similar
    > graphics cards was running!
    >
    > I think that it is interesting that I was able to run the card for several
    > hours playing Doom3 and Far Cry without any glitch watsoever with a
    > temperature over 100 degrees C.
    >
    > I also find it interesting that the nvidia control panel displays a degree
    > of 90 as being ok!
    >
    > I got alot of interesting feedback, but I'm still waiting for any user who
    > actually has any practical overheating experience with the 6800.
    >
    > I don't mean to offend anyone, the knowledge in this group is tremendous!
    > Got some very interesting feedback from John Lewis for example, thanks very
    > much I now know a bit more! :)
    >
    > /Kent

    John knows his Steam pipes from Gabe Newell's McDonald's mayonnaise
    tubes, but most of us are still somewhat dim lightbulbs when it comes
    to practical knowledge of the behaviour of graphics cards.

Nvidia Temperature Geforce Graphics Product