6800 Ultra - how long is it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2004 11:42:52 PM

I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon to a 6800
Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra compared to the
5700 Ultra?

In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.

More about : 6800 ultra long

Anonymous
August 18, 2004 11:42:53 PM

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon to a
6800
> Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra compared to the
> 5700 Ultra?
>
> In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.

My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus branded
9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
August 19, 2004 2:30:23 AM

Bob Perez wrote:
> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon
>> to a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
>> compared to the 5700 Ultra?
>>
>> In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
>
> My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
> branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.

The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

"Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bob Perez wrote:
> > "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon
> >> to a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
> >> compared to the 5700 Ultra?
> >>
> >> In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
> >
> > My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
> > branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>
> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.

Yeah, and he told him his 6800 Ultra is 7.75" long. What's your point? :)
August 19, 2004 2:30:47 AM

Richard Dower wrote:
> I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon to
> a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
> compared to the 5700 Ultra?
>
> In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.

As far as I remember, the length is exactly the same. But I might be wrong.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 19, 2004 4:09:12 AM

Danny wrote:

> Bob Perez wrote:
>
>>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon
>>>to a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
>>>compared to the 5700 Ultra?
>>>
>>>In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
>>
>>My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
>>branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>

> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.

Well, he told him how long the card is, we haven't all owned a FX5700U
before upgrading, sheesh get a grip man.

--
Les
AMD64 3200+

RaceFace wrote:

>>> My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
>>> branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>>
>> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.
>
> Yeah, and he told him his 6800 Ultra is 7.75" long. What's your
> point? :)

How much longer is the 6800 Ultra to the 5700 Ultra! That's what he's
asking.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:26:55 AM

Danny wrote:

>>>The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.
>>
>>Yeah, and he told him his 6800 Ultra is 7.75" long. What's your
>>point? :)
>

> How much longer is the 6800 Ultra to the 5700 Ultra! That's what he's
> asking.

OMG DENSE DENSE DENSE!!!!

He just gave him the measurement of the new card.

He has a 5700 now.

One would assume he has a fricking tape measure and can measure his own
card!!!
August 19, 2004 4:28:28 AM

Les wrote:
> Danny wrote:
>
>> Bob Perez wrote:
>>
>>> "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
>>> branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>>

>> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.
>>
> Well, he told him how long the card is, we haven't all owned a FX5700U
> before upgrading,

In which case such people can't help.

> sheesh get a grip man.

I am - useless help is worse than no response.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:28:29 AM

> Les wrote:
>> Danny wrote:

>>> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.
>>>
>> Well, he told him how long the card is, we haven't all owned a FX5700U
>> before upgrading,
>
> In which case such people can't help.
>
>> sheesh get a grip man.
>
> I am - useless help is worse than no response.
>
> --
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

If he's told how long a 6800 card is I bet he can figure out the
difference himself.

Jim M
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:15:05 AM

Danny, you have now qualified as a full-fledge idiot.

> Richard Dower wrote:
> > I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon to
> > a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
> > compared to the 5700 Ultra?
> >
> > In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
>
> As far as I remember, the length is exactly the same. But I might be
wrong.

> --
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

August 19, 2004 11:50:49 AM

"cpaoli" <cpaoli@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Danny, you have now qualified as a full-fledge idiot.

Seconded.

Chip

> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Richard Dower wrote:
> > > I currently have an FX5700 Ultra in my PC and plan to upgrade soon to
> > > a 6800 Ultra. My question is...how much longer is the 6800 Ultra
> > > compared to the 5700 Ultra?
> > >
> > > In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
> >
> > As far as I remember, the length is exactly the same. But I might be
> wrong.
> >
> > --
> > "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> > administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:25:19 PM

"Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> In terms of the length of the card, it's dimensions etc.
> >
> > My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
> > branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>
> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.

The guy asked about the length, the dimensions of the 6800 Ultra, which I
went and measured, and then posted. Did I warrant your comment because I
failed to go out and buy an FX to compare the difference?

Sheesh.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
August 19, 2004 4:19:04 PM

cpaoli wrote:
> Danny, you have now qualified as a full-fledge idiot.

Now, which part of 'as far as I can remember' and 'I could be wrong' did
your brain cell not pick on?

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 19, 2004 4:19:54 PM

Chip wrote:
> "cpaoli" <cpaoli@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Danny, you have now qualified as a full-fledge idiot.
>
> Seconded.
>
> Chip

You'll be able to confirm why you agree, or are you just mindlessly hopping
on a bandwagon?

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 19, 2004 4:22:22 PM

deimos wrote:
> Danny wrote:

>>> Yeah, and he told him his 6800 Ultra is 7.75" long. What's your
>>> point? :)
>>

>> How much longer is the 6800 Ultra to the 5700 Ultra! That's what he's
>> asking.
>>

> OMG DENSE DENSE DENSE!!!!

So you think the best way to correct someone is to mock them and yell
they're dense at them.
I direct you to:
http://www.bsd-unix.net/seitz/funny/RvB_NYC2.mov

> He just gave him the measurement of the new card.
>
> He has a 5700 now.
>
> One would assume he has a fricking tape measure and can measure his
> own card!!!

Aye ok, I had an off-day. Give a boy a break.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:22:23 PM

> > He just gave him the measurement of the new card.
> >
> > He has a 5700 now.
> >
> > One would assume he has a fricking tape measure and can measure his
> > own card!!!
>
> Aye ok, I had an off-day. Give a boy a break.

I usually just chalk it up to drinking too much and posting.....
August 19, 2004 6:10:40 PM

> Chip wrote:
> > "cpaoli" <cpaoli@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >> Danny, you have now qualified as a full-fledge idiot.
> >
> > Seconded.
> >
> > Chip
>
> You'll be able to confirm why you agree, or are you just mindlessly
hopping
> on a bandwagon?

Sure. Because the OP asked how long is a 6800 Ultra and someone kindly
replied. Presumably that someone took the time to measure it. Very helpful
of him.

And you - idiot that you are - decided to take a cheap shot at this and to
criticise the guy for not *comparing* the 2 cards. A cheap shot, completely
unwarranted and very unfriendly.

And then, as if that's no enough, you posted "As far as I remember, the
length is exactly the same. But I might be wrong."

That made be laugh out loud. You have the bare faced cheek to criticize
someone trying to help and then you post the most *unhelpful* post of the
lot. Marvellous.

When cpaoli stepped in and called you an idiot, I fely compelled to agree.

Happy now?

Chip

> --
> "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
> administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

August 19, 2004 7:07:13 PM

Chip wrote:

>> You'll be able to confirm why you agree, or are you just mindlessly
>> hopping on a bandwagon?
>
> Sure. Because the OP asked how long is a 6800 Ultra and someone
> kindly replied. Presumably that someone took the time to measure it.
> Very helpful of him.
>
> And you - idiot that you are -

At least you prove yourself to be as big an idiot as you're accusing me of
being.

> decided to take a cheap shot at this
> and to criticise the guy for not *comparing* the 2 cards. A cheap
> shot, completely unwarranted and very unfriendly.

Comment #1 "The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800."
Comment #2 "How much longer is the 6800 Ultra to the 5700 Ultra! That's what
he's
asking."
Comment #3 "In which case such people can't help."

You can point out the cheap shot, completely unwarranted and very unfriendly
dig there, I presume? I really hope you can because I'm failing to see where
I mock or act harshly.

> And then, as if that's no enough, you posted "As far as I remember,
> the length is exactly the same. But I might be wrong."

Because providing tentative help and stating it might not be perfect is the
most common form of response when aiding someone on usenet - shows them that
people are trying to help even if they're unsuccessful. otoh hand, providing
help which exactly the opposite but being ignorant that you're clueless is
more useless than anything.

> That made be laugh out loud. You have the bare faced cheek to
> criticize someone trying to help

No I didn't - see above.

> and then you post the most
> *unhelpful* post of the lot. Marvellous.

Was my post incorrect? Are 5700 Ultras not the same length as 6800 Ultras? I
mean I'm positively *dying* to know just how unhelpful my post was.

> When cpaoli stepped in and called you an idiot, I fely compelled to
> agree.
>
> Happy now?

Ecstatic - just that you've proven yourself to be not only dimwitted
yourself, but a drama queen while you're at it.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 20, 2004 12:26:41 AM

Bob Perez wrote:
> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> My 6800 Ultra measures 7.75" long, a little shorter than the Asus
>>> branded 9800XT it replaced. Standard 4" height.
>>
>> The guy's asking about an FX, not a 9800.
>
> The guy asked about the length, the dimensions of the 6800 Ultra,
> which I went and measured, and then posted. Did I warrant your
> comment because I failed to go out and buy an FX to compare the
> difference?

I wasn't being intentionally harsh, I was making a valid point. Apologies if
I've offended you but it was not meant that way. At least you have the
dignity to say your piece without getting insulting.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 20, 2004 1:20:22 AM

> Chip wrote:

>You've proven yourself to be not only dimwitted
> yourself, but a drama queen while you're at it.

Hmmmmm. I say "seconded". And that's me being a drama queen?

You ask me why you are a being a twat, so I tell you. And that's me being
dimwitted.

I think I will leave the audience to make their own judgements on this one.

<Plonk>

Chip
August 20, 2004 2:53:13 AM

Chip wrote:
> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Chip wrote:
>
>> You've proven yourself to be not only dimwitted
>> yourself, but a drama queen while you're at it.
>
> Hmmmmm. I say "seconded". And that's me being a drama queen?

No, your follow up post was and that was the one I was addressing.

> You ask me why you are a being a twat, so I tell you. And that's me
> being dimwitted.

Spot on. Nothin' much gets past you eh?

> I think I will leave the audience to make their own judgements on
> this one.

I do believe my reply to the person who helped the original poster will
clarify my position.

> <Plonk>

Hah, that's pathetic. KF'ing me because I disagree with your assessment of
me - and yet *you* joined in the insults, not me. I notice you addressed no
points I made at all.
But I guess you won't get this. I'm not KF'ing you - only people who are
actually worthy of condemnation do I KF - you're worth nothing.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 2:53:14 AM

Danny wrote:

> Chip wrote:
>> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Chip wrote:
>>
>>> You've proven yourself to be not only dimwitted
>>> yourself, but a drama queen while you're at it.
>>
>> Hmmmmm. I say "seconded". And that's me being a drama queen?
>
> No, your follow up post was and that was the one I was addressing.
>

>> You ask me why you are a being a twat, so I tell you. And that's me
>> being dimwitted.
>
> Spot on. Nothin' much gets past you eh?
>

>> I think I will leave the audience to make their own judgements on
>> this one.
>
> I do believe my reply to the person who helped the original poster will
> clarify my position.
>

>> <Plonk>
>
> Hah, that's pathetic. KF'ing me because I disagree with your assessment of
> me - and yet *you* joined in the insults, not me. I notice you addressed
> no points I made at all.
> But I guess you won't get this. I'm not KF'ing you - only people who are
> actually worthy of condemnation do I KF - you're worth nothing.

What's pathetic is responding to someone who has killfiled you as if they
are going to actually see your comment.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

<snip>

Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to those
people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800 Ultra longer
then the 5700 Ultra?

Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will fit.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 5:13:04 AM

Richard Dower wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to those
> people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800 Ultra longer
> then the 5700 Ultra?
>
> Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will fit.

You can find photos of several brands of both at
<http://www.newegg.com&gt;--while they aren't all to the same scale it should
be easy to measure using the AGP connector as a reference. But looking at
them it appears that the boards are if not exactly the same size very
close.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
August 20, 2004 3:19:40 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
> Danny wrote:
>
>> Chip wrote:
>>> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hmmmmm. I say "seconded". And that's me being a drama queen?
>>
>> No, your follow up post was and that was the one I was addressing.
>>

>>> You ask me why you are a being a twat, so I tell you. And that's me
>>> being dimwitted.
>>
>> Spot on. Nothin' much gets past you eh?
>>

>>> I think I will leave the audience to make their own judgements on
>>> this one.
>>
>> I do believe my reply to the person who helped the original poster
>> will clarify my position.
>>

>>> <Plonk>
>>
>> Hah, that's pathetic. KF'ing me because I disagree with your
>> assessment of me - and yet *you* joined in the insults, not me. I
>> notice you addressed no points I made at all.
>> But I guess you won't get this. I'm not KF'ing you - only people who
>> are actually worthy of condemnation do I KF - you're worth nothing.
>
> What's pathetic is responding to someone who has killfiled you as if
> they are going to actually see your comment.

The only way they might see the comment would be if someone else was to
reply to it.
Now, let me see...
:)

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:19:41 PM

Danny wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Danny wrote:

>>> No, your follow up post was and that was the one I was addressing.

>>> Spot on. Nothin' much gets past you eh?

>>> I do believe my reply to the person who helped the original poster
>>> will clarify my position.

>>> Hah, that's pathetic. KF'ing me because I disagree with your
>>> assessment of me - and yet *you* joined in the insults, not me. I
>>> notice you addressed no points I made at all.
>>> But I guess you won't get this. I'm not KF'ing you - only people who
>>> are actually worthy of condemnation do I KF - you're worth nothing.
>>
>> What's pathetic is responding to someone who has killfiled you as if
>> they are going to actually see your comment.
>
> The only way they might see the comment would be if someone else was to
> reply to it.
> Now, let me see...
> :)

Geez, walked right into _that_ one:)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
August 20, 2004 3:21:25 PM

J. Clarke wrote:
> Richard Dower wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to
>> those people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800
>> Ultra longer then the 5700 Ultra?
>>
>> Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will
>> fit.
>
> You can find photos of several brands of both at
> <http://www.newegg.com&gt;--while they aren't all to the same scale it
> should be easy to measure using the AGP connector as a reference.
> But looking at them it appears that the boards are if not exactly the
> same size very close.

Wait a minute - everyone flames me for helping uselessly when it turns out
my answer was actually correct.
Why, you couldn't make that one up :)

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
August 20, 2004 3:22:58 PM

Richard Dower wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to
> those people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800
> Ultra longer then the 5700 Ultra?

Like I said, they appear to be both pretty much the same length.

> Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will
> fit.

If someone is kind enough to measure their 5700 Ultra that will tell you.
Otherwise it's essentially guesswork and a modicum of faith.

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:20:16 PM

> Richard Dower wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to
>> those people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800
>> Ultra longer then the 5700 Ultra?
>
> Like I said, they appear to be both pretty much the same length.
>

>> Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will
>> fit.
>
> If someone is kind enough to measure their 5700 Ultra that will tell you.
> Otherwise it's essentially guesswork and a modicum of faith.

Indeed, thanks to all who responded.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:20:17 PM

> "Danny" <Danny__grant@///hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Richard Dower wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Relax guys with the flaming...my original question still stands, to
>>> those people whom have experince of Nvidia cards only. Is the 6800
>>> Ultra longer then the 5700 Ultra?
>>
>> Like I said, they appear to be both pretty much the same length.
>>

>>> Space is at a premium in my case and i just want to be sure it will
>>> fit.
>>
>> If someone is kind enough to measure their 5700 Ultra that will tell you.
>> Otherwise it's essentially guesswork and a modicum of faith.
>
> Indeed, thanks to all who responded.

In your original post you said you had a 5700 Ultra.
How come you can't measure it yourself?
Another question is are all brands of 6800 ultras the same length?

Jim M
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:40:07 PM

> I wasn't being intentionally harsh, I was making a valid point. Apologies
if
> I've offended you but it was not meant that way. At least you have the
> dignity to say your piece without getting insulting.

Ok, well thanks for clearing the air. Glad to know that it's still possible
to have disagreements on Usenet without the necessity of escalating
flamewars and gratuitous insults. I save mine for the ones who really
deserve it.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:47:58 PM

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In your original post you said you had a 5700 Ultra.
> How come you can't measure it yourself?
> Another question is are all brands of 6800 ultras the same length?
>
> Jim M

I just assumed the dimensions for the Nvidia 6800 Ultra refrence card were
published, WxHxD etc.

Guess i could measure the 5700 Ultra, i am sure it'll be fine.
!