Power Supply?

Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my present
power supply is 300w will this support the new card

"Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my
present
> power supply is 300w will this support the new card

From what I've read upto now doing a quick Google search it seems like 300w
is the minimum depending on what other hardware you have in your machine of
course. The only possible problem, as you're going to have the minimum
supply, is if the quality isn't upto scratch it could struggle.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1373019

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjM3LDE

I don't have a GF6 myself but for the cost of a new psu I think I'd want to
upgrade to a 350w or 400w to make sure that it will be able to handle the
extra load.

Mal

Only if it's a top quality 300W PS. Antec,inwin etc. Otherwise get a decent
450W PS.

>Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my present
>power supply is 300w will this support the new card

300 Watts is NOT enough power.

--
DaveW

"Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my
present
> power supply is 300w will this support the new card

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> 300 Watts is NOT enough power.

Sorry, but that is NOT correct. Lots of people are running 6800GT's in
Shuttles with a 250w PSU.

Of course if your PSU is a p.o.s. and it says 300w when it means 150w, then
you might have a problem.

But a decent 300watter will be OK.

Chip

Chip wrote:

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> 300 Watts is NOT enough power.
>>

> Sorry, but that is NOT correct. Lots of people are running 6800GT's in
> Shuttles with a 250w PSU.
>
> Of course if your PSU is a p.o.s. and it says 300w when it means 150w,
> then you might have a problem.
>
> But a decent 300watter will be OK.

Or not as the case may be. Depends on what _else_ is in the machine.

> Chip
>

>> --
>> DaveW
>>

>> "Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> > Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my
>> present
>> > power supply is 300w will this support the new card

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> Chip wrote:
>
> > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> >> 300 Watts is NOT enough power.
> >>

> > Sorry, but that is NOT correct. Lots of people are running 6800GT's in
> > Shuttles with a 250w PSU.
> >
> > Of course if your PSU is a p.o.s. and it says 300w when it means 150w,
> > then you might have a problem.
> >
> > But a decent 300watter will be OK.
>
> Or not as the case may be. Depends on what _else_ is in the machine.

Agreed. But on that basis, 400w may not be enough either.

Really my point is that DaveW said 300w is NOT enough, and emphatically, it
CAN be.

(Actually I have since seen someone running a 6800GT (overclocked!) on a
150w PSU. Yes 150w.

Chip

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:43:18 +0000 (UTC), "Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my present
>power supply is 300w will this support the new card

Get an Antec TruePower 550Watt. It delivers 520Watt approx with very little signal distortion, way
better than Enermax.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my
present
> power supply is 300w will this support the new card

If you think you might upgrade to a Athlon64 take a look at
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=343097&page=1

My ps fan went out recently and I bought a Themaltake 480w to replace it,
thinking that it would be good enough for future upgrades. Now I'm
considering going to an Athlon64 and I ran across the above thread. It says
that for an Athlon64 you should look for a minimum of 18-20amps on the 12v
volt rail rather than the total wattage rating of the ps. My Themaltake is
rated at 18amps @12v but since some people have reported stability issues
with 18 amps, I'm thinking of getting a Enermax 480w (it has 33amps on the
12v rail and is only $10 more than I paid for the Thermaltake 480w).

On 2004-08-21, geno_cyber@tin.it <geno_cyber@tin.it> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:43:18 +0000 (UTC), "Barry Barlow" <bbarlow@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>Looking to upgrade my present FX 5200 card for a Geforce 6800 GT, my present
>>power supply is 300w will this support the new card
>
> Get an Antec TruePower 550Watt. It delivers 520Watt approx with very little signal distortion, way
> better than Enermax.

Isn't that a bit overkill? Though I personally have no experience
with any graphics card better than an FX 5700U, it does seem a bit much.
(Unless the person many drives, dvd burners use a fair bit of power afaik)

My main workstation here uses an Antec TruePower 330Watt and I've never had
any problems with it. Only got a GeForce 4 MX440 in it though. :p

My file server (with 8 drives) copes fine with the 430Watt version, and is about
20 quid cheaper than the 550Watt one, looking at www.overclockers.co.uk

--
Linux Jay
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk