Kerio Personal Firewall Discontinued

Kerio discontinued Dec. 31, 2005.

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=9de97243d04e13fe90
cc6fa8dc15787d

Casey
6 answers Last reply
More about kerio personal firewall discontinued

    In article <MPG.1d8275ba6270b1ba9896b8@news.east.earthlink.net>,
    casey@notspecified.net says...
    > Kerio discontinued Dec. 31, 2005.
    >
    > http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=9de97243d04e13fe90
    > cc6fa8dc15787d
    >
    > Casey

    Yep, another one bites the dust.. In this case, I think they just
    couldn't overcome their bad reputation on the product, so perhaps
    decided to just dump it..

    --
    Kerodo

    "Casey Klc" <casey@notspecified.net> wrote in message
    > Kerio discontinued Dec. 31, 2005.

    http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7040&start=0&S=9de97243d04e13fe90
    > cc6fa8dc15787d
    >
    > Casey

    Well, I know that Tiny, which is no longer free,
    is featuring, in its latest version, the ability to have
    filtering rules by user. Tiny Personal Firewall
    Professional, at $99, is the first firewall ever made,
    hardware or software, that can create filteirng rules,
    by user name. This is where Tiny will gain an edge
    over hardware firewalls. No other firewall in the
    world can filter by user name.

    begin quotation
    from Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spamshield.net>
    in message <1L-dnUMbOIroiITeRVn-vw@comcast.com>
    posted at 2005-09-03T03:16
    > Well, I know that Tiny, which is no longer free,
    > is featuring, in its latest version, the ability to
    > have filtering rules by user. Tiny Personal Firewall
    > Professional, at $99, is the first firewall ever made,
    > hardware or software, that can create filteirng rules, by
    > user name.

    Maybe the first one *for Windows* that can do this, but first one ever?
    False. OpenBSD has been able to do this with pf since pf made it into
    the source tree with 3.0; I think ipf (Darren Reed's non-free packet
    filtering code) could do it as well. I'm not sure if iptables in the
    Linux kernel can do this also, but I would think by now it can.

    > This is where Tiny will gain an edge over hardware
    > firewalls. No other firewall in the world can filter by
    > user name.

    False, see above, and please don't assume the entire world runs Windows.
    Unix and its descendants have been around since prior to 1970.

    --
    ___ _ _____ |*|
    / __| |/ / _ \ |*| Shawn K. Quinn

    > Tiny Personal Firewall Professional, at $99,
    > is the first firewall ever made, hardware or
    > software, that can create filteirng rules,
    > by user name.

    Sorry, not true at all. Countless other firewalls provide this. Amongst
    them is Kerio Winroute Firewall, a small business and enterprise network
    firewall. Granted, not for only $99 though.

    -Frank

    Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spamshield.net> wrote:
    > Well, I know that Tiny, which is no longer free,
    > is featuring, in its latest version, the ability to have
    > filtering rules by user. Tiny Personal Firewall
    > Professional, at $99, is the first firewall ever made,
    > hardware or software, that can create filteirng rules,
    > by user name. This is where Tiny will gain an edge
    > over hardware firewalls. No other firewall in the
    > world can filter by user name.

    What is untrue of course. With the packet filters of every BSD or Linux
    you can easily script that. Even with the ICF and Windows and three or
    four lines of script you can do that.

    Beside the fact, that this is not sensible, because filtering should not
    be influenced by user usually. This is a concept flaw in most cases.

    Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.

    Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
    "Personal Firewalls".

    Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    this is not possible at all.

    And:

    Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    windows.

    This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/interactive_services.asp#security_considerations_for_interactive_services

    For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
    declaration of bankruptcy.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    You have not been around long. You may find out more than you'll ever want
    to know about Tiny. ;-)

    Duane :)

Firewalls Security Networking