What is the best current windows version

IT Departments adopted two mantras right after succumbing to the so called "Win95 Upgrade" debacle. After investing $2500 - $4500 per seat in hardware and training on their former W4WGs boxes, (Source InfoWorld), they found productivity dropped as machines were actually slower.

1. No Microsoft OS will ever be faster than the one before it on the same hardware.

2. Anything before SP3 is a beta.

Many would argue that the Vista - Win7 upgrade changed all that but when ya consider Win7 as simply Vista's SP3, the world makes sense again.

So if you have an existing computer with WinXP, putting Win7 on that machine will do absolutely nothing for you other than run everything just a bit slower.

OTOH, if building a new box, I would put Win 7-64 on it assumng, of course, that all of the prgrams you have to run support 64 bit OS's.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would beg to differ on those statements Jack with all due respect.

1) Win 7 runs faster than Vista on the same machine in some circumstances.
2) If the machine is a Dual or especially a Quad then Win 7 will run faster on the same machine than XP.
3) Windows 2000 ran faster than Win 98 on the same machine back in the day due to superior memory management.

Running Win 7 instead of XP will provide better use of memory and multi core processors, far greater stability especially when a lot of applications are installed and awesome driver support.

Agree completely. I have a 3 1/2 year old system, and Win7 is as fast as XP ever was. I've also had no compatibility issues worth mentioning.

If you have programs, or hardware, that won't run on 7 then XP is best for you. If you want to run programs, or have hardware, that work only in 7 then 7 is the best choice. It's horses for courses, and only you can determine which best suits your purposes. Speedwise there is little, if any, difference - my experience is that 7 is slightly faster than XP on the same hardware.

If performance is your only concern, and you have no other reason to want to upgrade, then don't bother. You know that your hardware is fully suported by XP, so why spend more if things are working OK at present?

XP will probably run better than Windows 7 on an undersized box (512MB of memory, for example). And if the system doesn't have an Aero-capable video card it can sure play card games like Solitaire and FreeCell a helluva lot faster than Windows 7 can.

But on a half-decent system Windows 7 is just as fast if not faster.

I wonder how many people are still clinging to XP because they want to play Solitaire.. :D

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Even if things are working OK then Win 7 is the best option on any semi decent hardware. XP is 9 almost 10 years old. That is a lot of years in the PC Universe. Anone who can get it should and in doing so get a much more satisfying experience. Just watching Superfetch in action as all four cores go hard out is an experience all of its own. Win 7 is worth it except for on low end hardware no doubt about it.

verbalizer

Distinguished

Nice posting...
To add, Win7 Pro and Ultimate also includes XP Mode (requires little more RAM I believe) which allow programs to run in Win7 simulating XP..