Gateways Expert Technical Support????

Just had to post this.

The last few days I have been having trouble with the DVD burner that
came with my new Gateway 7200xl that I bought at Christmastime.
Anyway, I thought there may be some updates to the drivers that would
possibly make this thing work as it is suppose to so I contacted
online technical support. I told them what the problem was and asked
if they could tell me the name of the manufacturer of the dvd burner
so that I may possibly go to their website and get updates and the
like. These people that supposidy are giving technical advice to us,
could not even tell me the name of thecompany that made the burner.
furthermore, they mentioned that according to the information they
had, this unit and model did not come with a dvd burner and if there
was one, it must have shipped owth the cimputer by mistake!!!!!

I told this moron and her Supervisor to just go to THEIR GATEWAY
website and look under desktop computers as if they were going to buy
one and go to the 7200xl computer and check the specs. I tried to
educate them that regardless of their idiot sheet that they apparently
are trained to recite, the DVD double layer burner came withthis unit.
After being online with these "technical experts" for over an hour,
they finally verified via the gateway website that yes the 7200xl came
with a dvd burner. However they were still unable to answer my
original simple question.

After 4 Gateway Computers, all upper end models, never will I buy
another Gateway Computer. These people must think the public are
morons. I think all the morons are working for Gateway. To bad, I
really used to support and invest in Gateway What a mistake that
was.

MB in Texas

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:28:58 GMT, Buford <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

>Just had to post this.
>
>The last few days I have been having trouble with the DVD burner that
>came with my new Gateway 7200xl that I bought at Christmastime.
>Anyway, I thought there may be some updates to the drivers that would
>possibly make this thing work as it is suppose to so I contacted
>online technical support. I told them what the problem was and asked
>if they could tell me the name of the manufacturer of the dvd burner
>so that I may possibly go to their website and get updates and the
>like. These people that supposidy are giving technical advice to us,
>could not even tell me the name of thecompany that made the burner.
>furthermore, they mentioned that according to the information they
>had, this unit and model did not come with a dvd burner and if there
>was one, it must have shipped owth the cimputer by mistake!!!!!
>
>I told this moron and her Supervisor to just go to THEIR GATEWAY
>website and look under desktop computers as if they were going to buy
>one and go to the 7200xl computer and check the specs. I tried to
>educate them that regardless of their idiot sheet that they apparently
>are trained to recite, the DVD double layer burner came withthis unit.
>After being online with these "technical experts" for over an hour,
>they finally verified via the gateway website that yes the 7200xl came
>with a dvd burner. However they were still unable to answer my
>original simple question.
>
>After 4 Gateway Computers, all upper end models, never will I buy
>another Gateway Computer. These people must think the public are
>morons. I think all the morons are working for Gateway. To bad, I
>really used to support and invest in Gateway What a mistake that
>was.
>
>MB in Texas

Not that complicated, all you had to do was go to the control panel,
look under system properties, hardware, then device manager and look
under CD drives and it tells you what you have. For example I have the
Double Layer DVD and it shows as NEC DVD-RW ND-3500AG

I agree with you that the Gateway web site ought to provide info about the brand
of burner in your system. However, Gateway changes suppliers of its drives more
quickly that you change your underwear, so the drive in your system may be one
of several brands. You can find out the brand and model of drive by clicking
the Device Manager tab of the System icon in Control Panel.

I haven't looked lately, but does Gateway provide information on its web site
regarding the originally shipped system configuration and/or the current
configuration, if you supply the system serial number? Dell's and IBM's web
sites do provide this info, and Gateway tech support should be able to determine
the as-shipped configuration if you provide their techie with your system serial
number... Ben Myers

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:28:58 GMT, Buford <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

>Just had to post this.
>
>The last few days I have been having trouble with the DVD burner that
>came with my new Gateway 7200xl that I bought at Christmastime.
>Anyway, I thought there may be some updates to the drivers that would
>possibly make this thing work as it is suppose to so I contacted
>online technical support. I told them what the problem was and asked
>if they could tell me the name of the manufacturer of the dvd burner
>so that I may possibly go to their website and get updates and the
>like. These people that supposidy are giving technical advice to us,
>could not even tell me the name of thecompany that made the burner.
>furthermore, they mentioned that according to the information they
>had, this unit and model did not come with a dvd burner and if there
>was one, it must have shipped owth the cimputer by mistake!!!!!
>
>I told this moron and her Supervisor to just go to THEIR GATEWAY
>website and look under desktop computers as if they were going to buy
>one and go to the 7200xl computer and check the specs. I tried to
>educate them that regardless of their idiot sheet that they apparently
>are trained to recite, the DVD double layer burner came withthis unit.
>After being online with these "technical experts" for over an hour,
>they finally verified via the gateway website that yes the 7200xl came
>with a dvd burner. However they were still unable to answer my
>original simple question.
>
>After 4 Gateway Computers, all upper end models, never will I buy
>another Gateway Computer. These people must think the public are
>morons. I think all the morons are working for Gateway. To bad, I
>really used to support and invest in Gateway What a mistake that
>was.
>
>MB in Texas

Yes Mr Myers,

I supplied my system serial number and they still could not pull up
the information. I had to download Belarc Advisor to find it myself.
The point is that these people they call technical advisors know as
much about computers THEIR company sells as my Golden Retriever.

Buford wrote:

> I had to download Belarc Advisor to find it myself.
> The point is that these people they call technical advisors know as
> much about computers THEIR company sells as my Golden Retriever.

So what model is it? If you tell us, we may be able to recommend some
media that will be compatible with your burner.

This is a sad commentary on the state of tech support, then... Ben Myers

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:57:13 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

>This is a sad commentary on the state of tech support, then... Ben Myers

Or people who own computers who don't have a clue.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

(Ben Myers) wrote:

>This is a sad commentary on the state of tech support, then... Ben Myers

Ben, you and I both know that this is and has always been the level of
support offered by this sorry excuse for a company. Three years back,
I remember posting on this exact NG that because of GW's lack of
support, they would soon or later start a decline. I got all sorts of
hate replies on that but look what happened.

Funny thing is, GW still hasn't figured it out.. You know, screw
your customer and you "Usually" don't get a return customer. Like the
bumper sticker says, "I bought a Gateway... Once!" They lost most
all of the possible return customers so had to rely on new, uninformed
customers.

They still sell mass slung together boxes out of Taiwan but not like
they use to before most of the public got a clue about them.

Buy local builds from a reputable builder that has a track record of
quality/support (something GW, Dell or any other Taiwanese box
slinger-together resellers don't have). After my last GW disaster 4
years ago, I have had local builds. Get 100% better quality, built to
my specs and real local support that is offered in English to boot and
can be face to face at that. Not some third world idiot that wouldn't
know a computer if it jumped up and bit him in the arse reading canned
tech support responses off a monitor.

Anyone can start a company like GW or Dell if you got the bucks.
Notice I didn't say you had to know anything about a computer, just
have the bucks. All you do is get a box slinger-together out of
Taiwan and purchase a KaZillion containers of their slop with your
name printed on the box, lets say PooPoo Computers for example here.
Invest into a mass marketing scam to make the American Public believe
that if you don't own a PooPoo brand computer, then you are not only
unamerican but stupid and destined to burn in hell. Then outsource
your technical support and customer support to some third world rat's
nest so you don't have to be bothered with all the problems generated
by these Taiwanese slung together boxes and laugh all the way to the
bank.

Oh yea, and do like WalMart, leave some little thing off the product
like the label and have that attached in the US so you can claim "Made
In America" not forgetting that the label was manufactured in Mexico.

Even though most of the components are foreign made.....
Support your local economy! Buy Local Builds! Get Local Support that
speaks your language!

Regards,

Got news for you - the local assembler will use the same manufacturer's
(foreign) parts to build the system and he may warrent it and provide the
followup service you feel a need for. However, the best route is for you to
learn about computers and build them yourself from parts ordered via the
internet suppliers (they will.still be manufactured in
China/Japan/Malayasia/etc.) but you will be able to analyze the problem
yourself and save the hassel. This way you will get what you want and
understand what is in the machine.

".@." <.@.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:57:13 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
> (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>This is a sad commentary on the state of tech support, then... Ben Myers
>
> Ben, you and I both know that this is and has always been the level of
> support offered by this sorry excuse for a company. Three years back,
> I remember posting on this exact NG that because of GW's lack of
> support, they would soon or later start a decline. I got all sorts of
> hate replies on that but look what happened.
>
> Funny thing is, GW still hasn't figured it out.. You know, screw
> your customer and you "Usually" don't get a return customer. Like the
> bumper sticker says, "I bought a Gateway... Once!" They lost most
> all of the possible return customers so had to rely on new, uninformed
> customers.
>
> They still sell mass slung together boxes out of Taiwan but not like
> they use to before most of the public got a clue about them.
>
> Buy local builds from a reputable builder that has a track record of
> quality/support (something GW, Dell or any other Taiwanese box
> slinger-together resellers don't have). After my last GW disaster 4
> years ago, I have had local builds. Get 100% better quality, built to
> my specs and real local support that is offered in English to boot and
> can be face to face at that. Not some third world idiot that wouldn't
> know a computer if it jumped up and bit him in the arse reading canned
> tech support responses off a monitor.
>
> Anyone can start a company like GW or Dell if you got the bucks.
> Notice I didn't say you had to know anything about a computer, just
> have the bucks. All you do is get a box slinger-together out of
> Taiwan and purchase a KaZillion containers of their slop with your
> name printed on the box, lets say PooPoo Computers for example here.
> Invest into a mass marketing scam to make the American Public believe
> that if you don't own a PooPoo brand computer, then you are not only
> unamerican but stupid and destined to burn in hell. Then outsource
> your technical support and customer support to some third world rat's
> nest so you don't have to be bothered with all the problems generated
> by these Taiwanese slung together boxes and laugh all the way to the
> bank.
>
> Oh yea, and do like WalMart, leave some little thing off the product
> like the label and have that attached in the US so you can claim "Made
> In America" not forgetting that the label was manufactured in Mexico.
>
> Even though most of the components are foreign made.....
> Support your local economy! Buy Local Builds! Get Local Support that
> speaks your language!
>
> Regards,

At one time GW Support could pull up any machine by serial number and
tell you generally who made each part, certainly including hard drive,
floppy, mbd, video and sound carsds, and optical drive. However they
found maintenance of the GCS Vantive and then Siebel systems too
expensive (despite having paid many, many millions for the Siebel CRM
system which enabled them to take out your tonsils going up your
rectum...) and when they sidesourced all their tech support that went
away.

At this point, I pretty much have no sympathy for people who continue
to transact business with Gateway. You have to know how debased and
cancer-ridden their company is.

On 12 Feb 2005 15:46:46 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

> At this point, I pretty much have no sympathy for people who continue
>to transact business with Gateway. You have to know how debased and
>cancer-ridden their company is.

One would think with all the news in the industry mags, a story here
and there on the national news ever so often not to mention all the
talk on the web in NGs, email lists, on-line consumer reports, etc.
You pretty much have to be "uninvolved" to not have heard a "little"
bit about the pathetic level GW has fallen to.

My last experience and my last computer purchase with them was 4 years
ago when my new foreign built box with GW painted on it arrived dead
as a door nail. No lights, no noises, No Nothing! A call to what
they call tech support enlightened me to their brain deadness and
educated me to never, ever buy from them again... I was told the fix
to my dead box was a simple format and restoration.

No matter what I said, the idiot on the other end reading the Monkey
See, Monkey Do, Canned fixes off its computer screen could not
understand that you can't format and restore a computer that WILL NOT
PHYSICALLY TURN ON. Its computer screen said to tell me that I had to
format and restore and that was that!

A local Computer Company analyzed the problem and fixed my brand new
GW for $2. Seems it was a bad power switch and they had a replacement
from all the gateway computers pilled up in their back room that were
trade-ins from people having them build them a real computer backed by
real support. To be fair though, that back room was also piled up
with tons of old Dells, Compaqs and HPs also. I have since had this
gentleman build me two computers, an XP capable machine for myself and
one for my business and neither one has had a burp. I still run a GW
laptop and that troublesome GW desktop that was DOA has been assigned
the duties of a solitary card game machine for my 84 year old mother
who can no longer handle a real deck of cards. A fitting use for a GW
if I must say so myself.

Its been said and covered on this NG before and I back it up that
one's best route is to find a reputable local builder and go that
route. I have 8 within 50 miles that have been in business for more
than 15 years and have built good stable reputations within their
communities. Two of those have been in business for 25 years. You
don't stay in business "Locally" for 15 and 25 years if you don't
provide a quality product with quality support. The gentleman that
built my last two told me that if he pulled just a fraction of what
GW, Dell, HP and others pull on their customers, his business would
last 30 days and he would probably be in a local jail at that.

They only negative thing I ever heard about him was from a woman that
said she would never buy from him because "hell, I can get a computer
from WalMart for $399".