Ti4200 TV Out ?

Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as it
was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the socket on
the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV out,
but the socket is just *strange*.

It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10 pins... WTF
?!

I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or will connect
to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very well to connect my
laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the S Video socket). :O( .

Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as S Video
? Its weird whatever it is.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as it
> was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the socket
on
> the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV out,
> but the socket is just *strange*.
>
> It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10 pins... WTF
> ?!
>
> I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or will
connect
> to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very well to connect my
> laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the S Video socket). :O( .
>
> Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as S
Video
> ? Its weird whatever it is.

The standard cable has 4 pins (chrominance, luminance, and ground for each)
plus a plastic block to help orient the plug right way up. I would try one
of those
cables you have and snap off the plastic block so it'll plug in and see if
it'll work.
It should do.

could be a socket for a vivo cable, which splits into several cables.

Check on the manufacturer's web site if it has vivo.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

wotsayyou skrev:

> Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as it
> was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the socket on
> the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV out,
> but the socket is just *strange*.

The S-video cable I bought (in a standard store in Norway) fits
anyway. I first tried with the enclosed adapter, but once I tried
without (don't remember why) and it still worked like it should.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> wotsayyou skrev:
>
> > Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as
it
> > was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the
socket on
> > the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV
out,
> > but the socket is just *strange*.
>
> The S-video cable I bought (in a standard store in Norway) fits
> anyway. I first tried with the enclosed adapter, but once I tried
> without (don't remember why) and it still worked like it should.
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Interesting. How many pins does your cable have ? Does it have a plastic
block about the size of two pins stuck together ?

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message

> "wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card as
it
> > was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the hell the
socket
> on
> > the back of the card is. The manual describes it as having S Video TV
out,
> > but the socket is just *strange*.
> >
> > It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10 pins...
WTF
> > ?!
> >
> > I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or will
> connect
> > to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very well to connect
my
> > laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the S Video socket). :O( .
> >
> > Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as S
> Video
> > ? Its weird whatever it is.
>
> The standard cable has 4 pins (chrominance, luminance, and ground for
each)
> plus a plastic block to help orient the plug right way up. I would try one
> of those
> cables you have and snap off the plastic block so it'll plug in and see if
> it'll work.
> It should do.

Might try that - I guess the ten pins could be to be more compatible with
different s video standards - not that I was aware of any but the one.

The laptop S video out has a load of sockets for pins (more than four), but
has a space for the plastic block to go.

Cheers

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi,

The OP was correct - the TV-out socket on his card is some kind of
special connector depend on the maker of the Ti4200 video card (it
does look like a standard S-Video connector - same size)

On my Asus V8420 Ti4200 the TV-Out socket does look like this:

[ ] ----> small rectangle plastic tab
o o o o --> 1st row of pins
o o o --> 2nd row of pins

There is a small Y cable that one end plug into this "special" socket
and the other 2 end (female) either connect to a regular RCA cable or
regular S-Video cable to TV. So I guess the card out put both RCA &
S-Video video signal at the same time. 5 pins for S-Video signal and
2 pins for RCA signal = total 7 pins.

wotsayyou wrote:
> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Just trying to connect my Ti4200 to my Sony TV. Had bought the card
>>> as it was advertised as S Video out but I have no idea what the
>>> hell the socket on the back of the card is. The manual describes it
>>> as having S Video TV out, but the socket is just *strange*.
>>>
>>> It is the same size and shape as S Video but has spaces for 10
>>> pins... WTF ?!
>>>
>>> I have two S video cables and neither of them look like that or
>>> will connect to the nVidia card - they have four pins and work very
>>> well to connect my laptop to the same TV (through, surprise !, the
>>> S Video socket). :O( .
>>>
>>> Anybody have any idea what cable type they are trying to pass of as
>>> S Video ? Its weird whatever it is.
>>
>> The standard cable has 4 pins (chrominance, luminance, and ground
>> for each) plus a plastic block to help orient the plug right way up.
>> I would try one of those
>> cables you have and snap off the plastic block so it'll plug in and
>> see if it'll work.
>> It should do.
>>

> Might try that - I guess the ten pins could be to be more compatible
> with different s video standards - not that I was aware of any but
> the one.
>
> The laptop S video out has a load of sockets for pins (more than
> four), but has a space for the plastic block to go.
>
> Cheers

Are you sure it is not a VIVO port? the other pins for video capture? I
have gone away from the VIVO cards so I can't check but when I had mine it
came with a VIVO cable which had 4 connectors off it. 1 RCA out, 1 Svideo
out, 1 RCA in and 1 SVideo in. That should make about 10 pins worth.

"cowboyz" <me@here.now> wrote in message
> wotsayyou wrote:
> > "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> The standard cable has 4 pins (chrominance, luminance, and ground
> >> for each) plus a plastic block to help orient the plug right way up.
> >> I would try one of those
> >> cables you have and snap off the plastic block so it'll plug in and
> >> see if it'll work.
> >> It should do.
> >>

> > Might try that - I guess the ten pins could be to be more compatible
> > with different s video standards - not that I was aware of any but
> > the one.
> >
> > The laptop S video out has a load of sockets for pins (more than
> > four), but has a space for the plastic block to go.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Are you sure it is not a VIVO port? the other pins for video capture?
> have gone away from the VIVO cards so I can't check but when I had mine it
> came with a VIVO cable which had 4 connectors off it. 1 RCA out, 1
Svideo
> out, 1 RCA in and 1 SVideo in. That should make about 10 pins worth.

The port is labelled on the card as simply TV out, and in the manual as TV
Out S video, so they seem to think its s video

Cheers

It could be a DIN adapter which needs an adaptor which'll give you both
S-Video and composite outputs from the single plug.

"Phil" <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> The OP was correct - the TV-out socket on his card is some kind of
> special connector depend on the maker of the Ti4200 video card (it
> does look like a standard S-Video connector - same size)
>
> On my Asus V8420 Ti4200 the TV-Out socket does look like this:
>
> [ ] ----> small rectangle plastic tab
> o o o o --> 1st row of pins
> o o o --> 2nd row of pins
>
> There is a small Y cable that one end plug into this "special" socket
> and the other 2 end (female) either connect to a regular RCA cable or
> regular S-Video cable to TV. So I guess the card out put both RCA &
> S-Video video signal at the same time. 5 pins for S-Video signal and
> 2 pins for RCA signal = total 7 pins.

Ah, thought I was missing something. Any idea where I can pick one of these
up ?

Cheers

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"wotsayyou" <jonhorridge@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<yMGVc.434$tc5.355@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>...
> "Phil" <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > The OP was correct - the TV-out socket on his card is some kind of
> > special connector depend on the maker of the Ti4200 video card (it
> > does look like a standard S-Video connector - same size)
> >
> > On my Asus V8420 Ti4200 the TV-Out socket does look like this:
> >
> > [ ] ----> small rectangle plastic tab
> > o o o o --> 1st row of pins
> > o o o --> 2nd row of pins
> >
> > There is a small Y cable that one end plug into this "special" socket
> > and the other 2 end (female) either connect to a regular RCA cable or
> > regular S-Video cable to TV. So I guess the card out put both RCA &
> > S-Video video signal at the same time. 5 pins for S-Video signal and
> > 2 pins for RCA signal = total 7 pins.
>
> Ah, thought I was missing something. Any idea where I can pick one of these
> up ?
>

> Cheers

Hi,

I really don't know where you can pick one up but have you try some
special video stores or electronics stores. But you should receive
that Y cable along with the video card so check the box again because
I was also almost miss seeing that cable becuause it's pretty small.

For me it's just doesn't make sense (common and $$$ wise) why the
video card manufacture decided to use that "special" Tv-Out plug.
First, if you lost that Y cable then you'are in trouble because not
everybody know where to buy a replacement. Second, isn't it much
cheaper just have a regular RCA & S-Video video plugs on the card.
Those 2 standard type plugs are already available pretty cheap - for
mass production, order directly from supplier. Isn't it would cost
much more to have to make that "special" TV-Out plug AND that special
"Y" (or whatever) cable.

Just doesn't make sense.

Is there difference between the cards? I use the split cable to
connect my S-video cable to my TV. But I also noticed that the S-video
cable would fit directly in the video-card (without the split-cable).
The S-video cable has less pins, but the one on it fits in the card
(the pins that are there matches some of the holes) - and it works.