FX5700 / GeForce4 4200 Ti

Ok, my GeForce3 Ti just died and I need a new card, but there are SO
many of them . . . . and Nvidia seems to use a different type of specs
for each card family . . . . how does one choose?

You choose by figuring out what exact use you are going to use the computer
for. Word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, the latest high-end games???
The useage makes a LARGE difference in what video card would be recommended.

--
DaveW

"No Name" <bogidu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ok, my GeForce3 Ti just died and I need a new card, but there are SO
> many of them . . . . and Nvidia seems to use a different type of specs
> for each card family . . . . how does one choose?

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

If you are choosing between the ti4200 and the fx5700, I would go for the
FX.
I've just replaced my broken ti4200 with the fx5700 and I am more than
happy. I think it is actually a little faster too.
Even better though, if you can wait a little longer and spend a bit more
to get the fx5700 Ultra or fx5900, do so.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

No Name wrote:
> Ok, my GeForce3 Ti just died and I need a new card, but there are SO
> many of them . . . . and Nvidia seems to use a different type of specs
> for each card family . . . . how does one choose?

It's fairly simple, if you don't know exactly what you want, get
something considered the best value card possible. Currently the FX
5700U is a great little card. The 5900XT's are on sale all the time,
and 5900's and 5950's are WAY down in price.

Find what you can and spend what you like. Try Newegg.com if you really
need a GF4 series, I still see a few TI4200's on there.

I can recommend the GeForce fx 5900 xt as an excellent 'bang for your buck'
card - it has done very well in recent benchmark comparisons, and performs
very well with the latest gaming titles like Far Cry and Doom 3.

I've just upgraded to one from a GF4 Ti4200 and am very pleased with the
increased performance.