From Sis315 to GeForce FX5600 XT disaster

My youngster bought Rayman 3 home to play. Great! But our system has an
AGP4.0 SiS card that aint compatible apparently. According to Rayman it has
to be GeForce cards. Our system is about two years old, maybe a bit more.
The only number I can get off the MB is K7VTA3/KT333. It's an AGP4.0 board.
AGP4.0 is active in the BIOS.

I recently reinstalled XP Home Edition. No problems. Have done the SP1 and
all other updates.
So I go out and buy a Gainward FX Power Pack - Ultra/780 TV-DVI - GeForce
FX5600 XT - 256MB DDR
I reckoned this would be okay for the low-end games. Following the
instructions with the pack has not yielded a thing.
After many attempts all I get is:
1 The video card boots first
2 The system boots next
3 The initial XP slash screen appears, then
4 Blank screen.
The system seems to be continuing the boot up sequence - the HDD is reading
for a while after the XP splash. But the screen is blank.
I have upgraded the power supply from 250w to 400w.

I re-fit the SiS card and everything boots up okay. One thing the
instructions advise is to revert to a basic Std VGA driver before removing
the old card and installing / booting up the new Gainward card. But XP won't
allow me to change the adaptor drivers from the SiS to anything - nothing is
listed other than the SiS. I've tried using an old PCI video card to
encourage XP to install that and maybe allow setting the Std VGA drivers,
but no. Same result as above - blank screen. So I figure maybe the problem
is with XP?
Any ideas gratefully appreciated and will make this old fart (and the
youngster) very happy!

Bill Fraser

WSF wrote:
> My youngster bought Rayman 3 home to play. Great! But our system has an
> AGP4.0 SiS card that aint compatible apparently. According to Rayman it has
> to be GeForce cards. Our system is about two years old, maybe a bit more.
> The only number I can get off the MB is K7VTA3/KT333. It's an AGP4.0 board.
> AGP4.0 is active in the BIOS.
>
> I recently reinstalled XP Home Edition. No problems. Have done the SP1 and
> all other updates.
> So I go out and buy a Gainward FX Power Pack - Ultra/780 TV-DVI - GeForce
> FX5600 XT - 256MB DDR
> I reckoned this would be okay for the low-end games. Following the
> instructions with the pack has not yielded a thing.
> After many attempts all I get is:
> 1 The video card boots first
> 2 The system boots next
> 3 The initial XP slash screen appears, then
> 4 Blank screen.
> The system seems to be continuing the boot up sequence - the HDD is reading
> for a while after the XP splash. But the screen is blank.
> I have upgraded the power supply from 250w to 400w.
>
> I re-fit the SiS card and everything boots up okay. One thing the
> instructions advise is to revert to a basic Std VGA driver before removing
> the old card and installing / booting up the new Gainward card. But XP won't
> allow me to change the adaptor drivers from the SiS to anything - nothing is
> listed other than the SiS. I've tried using an old PCI video card to
> encourage XP to install that and maybe allow setting the Std VGA drivers,
> but no. Same result as above - blank screen. So I figure maybe the problem
> is with XP?
> Any ideas gratefully appreciated and will make this old fart (and the
> youngster) very happy!
>
> Bill Fraser

Try uninstalling the SiS drivers, and then rebooting into safe mode with
the FX5600 card. You should be able to select a standard VGA adaptor in
there. After that, boot normally and see how installing the Nvidia
drivers goes...

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried all manner of variations to try and get XP to display a list of
video boards other than the one installed.
When I try to change the SiS board to Std VGA it does not offer any other
board or driver to choose from - only the SiS.
I fitted an old PCI Cirrus board, and all XP did was install that. In safe
mode it did not offer any alternative.
I figured that half the problem is XP trying to be too clever for its own
good.
I have noticed that there is a BIOS upgrade available subsequent to my
version because of "nvidia instability issues" so I might give that a crack.
Meantime the SiS board rules for the meantime.

I have read also on a newsgroup some strange comments about the Gainward
boards and their claims of AGP compatibility.
I have what appears to be a fairly well spec'd mobo for its age plus an "off
the shelf" video card. Were life so simple!

Regards
Bill

"@lias" <kix_pet@yahoo.spammersgohere.com> wrote in message
> WSF wrote:
> > My youngster bought Rayman 3 home to play. Great! But our system has an
> > AGP4.0 SiS card that aint compatible apparently. According to Rayman it
has
> > to be GeForce cards. Our system is about two years old, maybe a bit
more.
> > The only number I can get off the MB is K7VTA3/KT333. It's an AGP4.0
board.
> > AGP4.0 is active in the BIOS.
> >
> > I recently reinstalled XP Home Edition. No problems. Have done the SP1
and
> > all other updates.
> > So I go out and buy a Gainward FX Power Pack - Ultra/780 TV-DVI -
GeForce
> > FX5600 XT - 256MB DDR
> > I reckoned this would be okay for the low-end games. Following the
> > instructions with the pack has not yielded a thing.
> > After many attempts all I get is:
> > 1 The video card boots first
> > 2 The system boots next
> > 3 The initial XP slash screen appears, then
> > 4 Blank screen.
> > The system seems to be continuing the boot up sequence - the HDD is
reading
> > for a while after the XP splash. But the screen is blank.
> > I have upgraded the power supply from 250w to 400w.
> >
> > I re-fit the SiS card and everything boots up okay. One thing the
> > instructions advise is to revert to a basic Std VGA driver before
removing
> > the old card and installing / booting up the new Gainward card. But XP
won't
> > allow me to change the adaptor drivers from the SiS to anything -
nothing is
> > listed other than the SiS. I've tried using an old PCI video card to
> > encourage XP to install that and maybe allow setting the Std VGA
drivers,
> > but no. Same result as above - blank screen. So I figure maybe the
problem
> > is with XP?
> > Any ideas gratefully appreciated and will make this old fart (and the
> > youngster) very happy!
> >
> > Bill Fraser
> >

> Try uninstalling the SiS drivers, and then rebooting into safe mode with
> the FX5600 card. You should be able to select a standard VGA adaptor in
> there. After that, boot normally and see how installing the Nvidia
> drivers goes...

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:08:26 +1200, WSF wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
> I have tried all manner of variations to try and get XP to display a list of
> video boards other than the one installed.

Did you try just "removing" the sis card from the hardware manager?
When you reboot, it should be in standard vga mode automatically. It will
also tell you it has detected new hardware and ask for the drivers ;)
One thought. Is the Sis card built in to the motherboard? You may need to
disable it from the BIOS or with a jumper on the motherboard.

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

WSF wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I have tried all manner of variations to try and get XP to display a list of
> video boards other than the one installed.
> When I try to change the SiS board to Std VGA it does not offer any other
> board or driver to choose from - only the SiS.
> I fitted an old PCI Cirrus board, and all XP did was install that. In safe
> mode it did not offer any alternative.
> I figured that half the problem is XP trying to be too clever for its own
> good.
> I have noticed that there is a BIOS upgrade available subsequent to my
> version because of "nvidia instability issues" so I might give that a crack.
> Meantime the SiS board rules for the meantime.
>
> I have read also on a newsgroup some strange comments about the Gainward
> boards and their claims of AGP compatibility.
> I have what appears to be a fairly well spec'd mobo for its age plus an "off
> the shelf" video card. Were life so simple!
>
> Regards
> Bill

One thing I've found is that, if upon rebooting, it automatically
installs the same driver you had before, there is probably an .inf file
sitting in your Windows\Inf directory that needs removing. Take care not
to delete permanently...

Thanks guys,
I'll look at the ideas next weekend.
Daren't try of a week evening in case I screw something up and the young
blighter misses the daily PC fix!
Yes, the SiS board is installed in the AGP slot - not an onboard type - and
I'll definitely check out the .inf issue.
I guess a temporary renaming will do the trick, and then try again?
I've learned a lot about video boards the past few days.
Thanks again, it's appreciated.

> WSF wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > I have tried all manner of variations to try and get XP to display a
list of
> > video boards other than the one installed.
> > When I try to change the SiS board to Std VGA it does not offer any
other
> > board or driver to choose from - only the SiS.
> > I fitted an old PCI Cirrus board, and all XP did was install that. In
safe
> > mode it did not offer any alternative.
> > I figured that half the problem is XP trying to be too clever for its
own
> > good.
> > I have noticed that there is a BIOS upgrade available subsequent to my
> > version because of "nvidia instability issues" so I might give that a
crack.
> > Meantime the SiS board rules for the meantime.
> >
> > I have read also on a newsgroup some strange comments about the Gainward
> > boards and their claims of AGP compatibility.
> > I have what appears to be a fairly well spec'd mobo for its age plus an
"off
> > the shelf" video card. Were life so simple!
> >
> > Regards
> > Bill
> >

> One thing I've found is that, if upon rebooting, it automatically
> installs the same driver you had before, there is probably an .inf file
> sitting in your Windows\Inf directory that needs removing. Take care not
> to delete permanently...

Spotted this at PNY home page - manufacturereof my GeForce FX 5700LE card -
gonna chech this out when I get off line - thought it might be of interest
to you to.

GreenBoy

Why do I get a blank screen after I have installed a PNY Graphics
Card?

The power supply may be less than 300 watts or the AGP slot on the
system's motherboard is 1.0. To fix this problem follow the steps listed
below: Verify the power supply Open the side panel on the PC case The watts
are indicated on the manufacturers sticker on the inside Verify the AGP slot
on the motherboard is a 2.0 compliant slot This information can be obtained
from the motherboard manufacturer's website or from your owner's manual.

"WSF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks guys,
> I'll look at the ideas next weekend.
> Daren't try of a week evening in case I screw something up and the young
> blighter misses the daily PC fix!
> Yes, the SiS board is installed in the AGP slot - not an onboard type -
and
> I'll definitely check out the .inf issue.
> I guess a temporary renaming will do the trick, and then try again?
> I've learned a lot about video boards the past few days.
> Thanks again, it's appreciated.
>
> Bill
>
> "@lias" <kix_pet@yahoo.spammersgohere.com> wrote in message
> > WSF wrote:
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > > I have tried all manner of variations to try and get XP to display a
> list of
> > > video boards other than the one installed.
> > > When I try to change the SiS board to Std VGA it does not offer any
> other
> > > board or driver to choose from - only the SiS.
> > > I fitted an old PCI Cirrus board, and all XP did was install that. In
> safe
> > > mode it did not offer any alternative.
> > > I figured that half the problem is XP trying to be too clever for its
> own
> > > good.
> > > I have noticed that there is a BIOS upgrade available subsequent to my
> > > version because of "nvidia instability issues" so I might give that a
> crack.
> > > Meantime the SiS board rules for the meantime.
> > >
> > > I have read also on a newsgroup some strange comments about the
Gainward
> > > boards and their claims of AGP compatibility.
> > > I have what appears to be a fairly well spec'd mobo for its age plus
an
> "off
> > > the shelf" video card. Were life so simple!
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Bill
> > >

> > One thing I've found is that, if upon rebooting, it automatically
> > installs the same driver you had before, there is probably an .inf file
> > sitting in your Windows\Inf directory that needs removing. Take care not
> > to delete permanently...

I've upgraded to a 400w quality power supply.
The AGP slot is okay.

I'll be taking the board into work to try on a PC there - I don't have a
spare PC at home.
That way I can eliminate the hardware as an issue.

I still think it is a driver issue.
Maybe even a re-install of XP with the new board installed to see what
happens.

Cheers,
Bill