GeForce FX 5700 le Install Problems

Hi
I am having problems installing my ne Graphics card and would be greatfull
for any help.

I have a system based on an Abit KG7 Raid with 256m ram (to be upgraded)
with an AST Vision 7L monitor (old but has worked briliantly over the years)
WinXP Home

The system runs perfectly well at the moment with an SiS315P -64 card

When I install the Geforce FX5700 the system identifies the card and
attempts to install it. the manual with the card says allow Windows to
install the default VGA drivers. This does not happen on my ssystem - it
searches and offers a list of nVidia cards to install or attempts to connect
to the net and downloads a 15mb file for an nVidia N32? (this takes a while
Im on slow band here) after 'installing' the screen goes black and nothing
happens. - if i restart the machine it looses the instalation and eithr
sarts all over or accepts it has a card in it and thats it.

All the while (right from switching on) the screen is fuzzy and all text is
verry blurred.

When you look at the hardware profiles the screen does not appear and
windows does not offer screen drivers for you to install.

If I take the card out and plug the SiS back in - every thing is fine
including the screen drivers being pressent.

Help - driving me up the wall - was hoping to keep this machine running a
bit longer - even if only while I save up for the next - but cant even play
splinter cell on the SiS.

Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated.
Please remember that altough I built this system - it was more by luck than
judgement.

Dave G

Try installing a stock VGA driver ( Standard PCI VGA adapter though yer
card is actually AGP ), when it asks to search for the driver, select
manually update driver and switch to stock VGA drivers.

Then reboot and install the nVidia drivers.

Hello Dave,
Have a look at my thread "From Sis315 to GeForce FX5600 XT disaster" over
the past few days.
I have similar issues and have some interesting replies and ideas to work
with.

WSF

"GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am having problems installing my ne Graphics card and would be greatfull
> for any help.
>
> I have a system based on an Abit KG7 Raid with 256m ram (to be upgraded)
> with an AST Vision 7L monitor (old but has worked briliantly over the
years)
> WinXP Home
>
> The system runs perfectly well at the moment with an SiS315P -64 card
>
> When I install the Geforce FX5700 the system identifies the card and
> attempts to install it. the manual with the card says allow Windows to
> install the default VGA drivers. This does not happen on my ssystem - it
> searches and offers a list of nVidia cards to install or attempts to
connect
> to the net and downloads a 15mb file for an nVidia N32? (this takes a
while
> Im on slow band here) after 'installing' the screen goes black and nothing
> happens. - if i restart the machine it looses the instalation and eithr
> sarts all over or accepts it has a card in it and thats it.
>
> All the while (right from switching on) the screen is fuzzy and all text
is
> verry blurred.
>
> When you look at the hardware profiles the screen does not appear and
> windows does not offer screen drivers for you to install.
>
> If I take the card out and plug the SiS back in - every thing is fine
> including the screen drivers being pressent.
>
> Help - driving me up the wall - was hoping to keep this machine running a
> bit longer - even if only while I save up for the next - but cant even
play
> splinter cell on the SiS.
>
> Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated.
> Please remember that altough I built this system - it was more by luck
than
> judgement.
>
> Dave G

Sharanga
Sorry for taking so long to respond - been away

The problem is that this 'standard VGA' adaptor does not apear in the list
of offered devices.

I have gone to install manualy and told it I do not have a disk etc, so
choose from a list - and all that are listed are NVidia Cards - Despite the
blurry ness of the screen I have managed to define the list and include it
here for information.

Can I install one of these as the standard VGA driver?

If not any clues what to do now - this is realy starting to bug me. I am
also guesing I will not get the chance to install Screen Drivers for my AST
Vision7L until the Graphics card is set up properly.

Is there anyway to set up this as some sort of Hardware profile before I
take out my current card and activate it when I install the new? I am lost
here what to do.

Any help greatfully recieved

GreenBoy

List of offered hardware

Nvidia Aladin TNT
Nvidia Geforece 256
Nvidia Geforce DDR
Nvidia Geforece2 DDR
Nvidia Geforece2 Go (Dell)
Nvidia Geforece2 Go (Toshiba)
Nvidia Geforece2 GTS
Nvidia Geforece2 MX 100/200
Nvidia Geforece2 MX/MX400
Nvidia Geforece2 Ultra
Nvidia Geforece3
Nvidia Geforece2Quadro
Nvidia Geforece Quadro2 MXR/EX
Nvidia Geforece Quadro2 PRO
Nvidia Geforece RIVA TNT
Nvidia Geforece RIVA TNT2
Nvidia Geforece TNT2 Mole 64?
Nvidia Geforece2 TNT2 ULTRA
Nvidia Vanta
"Sharanga Dayananda" <sharangad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try installing a stock VGA driver ( Standard PCI VGA adapter though yer
> card is actually AGP ), when it asks to search for the driver, select
> manually update driver and switch to stock VGA drivers.
>
> Then reboot and install the nVidia drivers.

Thank you WSF

I shall give the advise you received a try - let me know if you get it to
work - I shall likewise for you.

GreenBoy

"WSF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Dave,
> Have a look at my thread "From Sis315 to GeForce FX5600 XT disaster" over
> the past few days.
> I have similar issues and have some interesting replies and ideas to work
> with.
>
> WSF
>

> "GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am having problems installing my ne Graphics card and would be
greatfull
> > for any help.
> >
> > I have a system based on an Abit KG7 Raid with 256m ram (to be upgraded)
> > with an AST Vision 7L monitor (old but has worked briliantly over the
> years)
> > WinXP Home
> >
> > The system runs perfectly well at the moment with an SiS315P -64 card
> >
> > When I install the Geforce FX5700 the system identifies the card and
> > attempts to install it. the manual with the card says allow Windows to
> > install the default VGA drivers. This does not happen on my ssystem - it
> > searches and offers a list of nVidia cards to install or attempts to
> connect
> > to the net and downloads a 15mb file for an nVidia N32? (this takes a
> while
> > Im on slow band here) after 'installing' the screen goes black and
nothing
> > happens. - if i restart the machine it looses the instalation and eithr
> > sarts all over or accepts it has a card in it and thats it.
> >
> > All the while (right from switching on) the screen is fuzzy and all text
> is
> > verry blurred.
> >
> > When you look at the hardware profiles the screen does not appear and
> > windows does not offer screen drivers for you to install.
> >
> > If I take the card out and plug the SiS back in - every thing is fine
> > including the screen drivers being pressent.
> >
> > Help - driving me up the wall - was hoping to keep this machine running
> > bit longer - even if only while I save up for the next - but cant even
> play
> > splinter cell on the SiS.
> >
> > Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated.
> > Please remember that altough I built this system - it was more by luck
> than
> > judgement.
> >
> > Dave G

Ok - Update

Inastalled card - through extreme fuzzyness I installed it and even got to
install the supplied NVidia software on the dik - all going ok

Once Nvidia software had finished installing screen went black - after a
while disk spun down - system dead

Re-booted machine - started ok - saw the WinXP Home splash screen - then
BLack - NOthing Nada. Waited several minutes incase some final install hings
were happening - nothing

rebooted in safe more - same fuzzy screen

Any clues - I am going mad with this.

Thanks

GreenBoy
> Thank you WSF
>
> I shall give the advise you received a try - let me know if you get it to
> work - I shall likewise for you.
>
> GreenBoy
>
> "WSF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Dave,
> > Have a look at my thread "From Sis315 to GeForce FX5600 XT disaster"
over
> > the past few days.
> > I have similar issues and have some interesting replies and ideas to
work
> > with.
> >
> > WSF
> >

> > "GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > I am having problems installing my ne Graphics card and would be
> greatfull
> > > for any help.
> > >
> > > I have a system based on an Abit KG7 Raid with 256m ram (to be
upgraded)
> > > with an AST Vision 7L monitor (old but has worked briliantly over the
> > years)
> > > WinXP Home
> > >
> > > The system runs perfectly well at the moment with an SiS315P -64 card
> > >
> > > When I install the Geforce FX5700 the system identifies the card and
> > > attempts to install it. the manual with the card says allow Windows to
> > > install the default VGA drivers. This does not happen on my ssystem -
it
> > > searches and offers a list of nVidia cards to install or attempts to
> > connect
> > > to the net and downloads a 15mb file for an nVidia N32? (this takes a
> > while
> > > Im on slow band here) after 'installing' the screen goes black and
> nothing
> > > happens. - if i restart the machine it looses the instalation and
eithr
> > > sarts all over or accepts it has a card in it and thats it.
> > >
> > > All the while (right from switching on) the screen is fuzzy and all
text
> > is
> > > verry blurred.
> > >
> > > When you look at the hardware profiles the screen does not appear and
> > > windows does not offer screen drivers for you to install.
> > >
> > > If I take the card out and plug the SiS back in - every thing is fine
> > > including the screen drivers being pressent.
> > >
> > > Help - driving me up the wall - was hoping to keep this machine
running
> > > bit longer - even if only while I save up for the next - but cant even
> > play
> > > splinter cell on the SiS.
> > >
> > > Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated.
> > > Please remember that altough I built this system - it was more by luck
> > than
> > > judgement.
> > >
> > > Dave G

You and me both !
:)

> Ok - Update
>
> Inastalled card - through extreme fuzzyness I installed it and even got to
> install the supplied NVidia software on the dik - all going ok
>
> Once Nvidia software had finished installing screen went black - after a
> while disk spun down - system dead
>
> Re-booted machine - started ok - saw the WinXP Home splash screen - then
> BLack - NOthing Nada. Waited several minutes incase some final install
hings
> were happening - nothing
>
> rebooted in safe more - same fuzzy screen
>
> Any clues - I am going mad with this.
>
> Thanks
>
> GreenBoy
> "GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> > Thank you WSF
> >
> > I shall give the advise you received a try - let me know if you get it
> > work - I shall likewise for you.
> >
> > GreenBoy
> >
> > "WSF" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello Dave,
> > > Have a look at my thread "From Sis315 to GeForce FX5600 XT disaster"
> over
> > > the past few days.
> > > I have similar issues and have some interesting replies and ideas to
> work
> > > with.
> > >
> > > WSF
> > >

> > > "GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> > greatfull

> upgraded)
> > > years)

> it
> > > connect
> > > while
> > nothing
> eithr

> text
> > > is

> running
> > > play

> > > than

Have you tried different refresh rates?

"M" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:<2phf5eFl420hU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Have you tried different refresh rates?
> "GreenBoy" <GreenBoy@Bogoff.net> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am having problems installing my ne Graphics card and would be greatfull
> > for any help.
> >
> > I have a system based on an Abit KG7 Raid with 256m ram (to be upgraded)
> > with an AST Vision 7L monitor (old but has worked briliantly over the
> years)
> > WinXP Home
> >
> > The system runs perfectly well at the moment with an SiS315P -64 card
> >
> > When I install the Geforce FX5700 the system identifies the card and
> > attempts to install it. the manual with the card says allow Windows to
> > install the default VGA drivers. This does not happen on my ssystem - it
> > searches and offers a list of nVidia cards to install or attempts to
> connect
> > to the net and downloads a 15mb file for an nVidia N32? (this takes a
> while
> > Im on slow band here) after 'installing' the screen goes black and nothing
> > happens. - if i restart the machine it looses the instalation and eithr
> > sarts all over or accepts it has a card in it and thats it.
> >
> > All the while (right from switching on) the screen is fuzzy and all text
> is
> > verry blurred.
> >
> > When you look at the hardware profiles the screen does not appear and
> > windows does not offer screen drivers for you to install.
> >
> > If I take the card out and plug the SiS back in - every thing is fine
> > including the screen drivers being pressent.
> >
> > Help - driving me up the wall - was hoping to keep this machine running a
> > bit longer - even if only while I save up for the next - but cant even
> play
> > splinter cell on the SiS.
> >
> > Any help or pointers in the right direction appreciated.
> > Please remember that altough I built this system - it was more by luck
> than
> > judgement.
> >
> > Dave G

I had the exact same problem with my KG7 Raid and recently purchased
Geforce FX5700. What I had to do is set my AGP speed in the bios to 2x
instead of 4x. It runs flawlessly at 2x. However, I'd love to be able
to run it at 4x. I haven't found a way to get it to work yet, though.
:(

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

the diff. between 2x and 4x is indiscernible anyway!!