  • Desktops
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 4, 2005 5:33:28 AM

I am getting a lot of Alerts from Zone Alarm on my wireless notebook
computer. It is blocking the Alerts, but I am wondering what is going on.

I am running Windows XP Home on my desktop and Windows XP Pro on my
notebook. I have Zone Alarm Ver.5.5 on both. I have set the trusted zones on
both.

They are connected by a Linksys Wireless Access Point and the desktop is
connected to the internet via a Linksys router. Both can access the internet
and can access shared files on the other. The notebook can print on the
desktop's printer.

The alerts say that Zone Alarm has blocked Internet access to your computer
(NetBIOS Session) from 169.254.51.219. TCP Port differs - sometines 139, or
1150, or 1169, etc

Can anyone tell me why the notebook gets the alerts, but the desktop does
not?

Thanks. C and A Bredt

More about : zone alarm alerts

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:18:18 AM

"C and A Bredt" <abredtX@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am getting a lot of Alerts from Zone Alarm on my wireless notebook
>computer. It is blocking the Alerts, but I am wondering what is going on.
>
> I am running Windows XP Home on my desktop and Windows XP Pro on my
> notebook. I have Zone Alarm Ver.5.5 on both. I have set the trusted zones
> on both.
>
> They are connected by a Linksys Wireless Access Point and the desktop is
> connected to the internet via a Linksys router. Both can access the
> internet and can access shared files on the other. The notebook can print
> on the desktop's printer.
>
> The alerts say that Zone Alarm has blocked Internet access to your
> computer (NetBIOS Session) from 169.254.51.219. TCP Port differs -
> sometines 139, or 1150, or 1169, etc

Every time I have seen an 169 IP , it means that the DHCP server on the
router couldn't assign an IP to a device requesting a DHCP IP and the device
timed out. For the XP O/S, it would have assigned that 169 IP to the NIC,
which will allow the machine to access other machines on the LAN but will
not allow the machine to access the Internet, because it doesn't have an IP
assigned by the router.

And you can check the IP by entering it into the Search Whois box in the
link below.

http://www.arin.net/index.html

http://www.dnsstuff.com/pages/RFC3330.htm

And it is being explained on page 2 of the link above.

> Can anyone tell me why the notebook gets the alerts, but the desktop does
> not?

Well the 169.254.51.219 IP is not a Trusted Zone IP to ZA, like the
192.168.1.??? IP(s) from the router.

What I suspect is that the desktop machine is loosing its connection
possibly and the 169 is being assigned to the NIC and you're seeing ZA on
the laptop block that IP as the machine try's to network with the laptop.
Maybe, somehow that is happening and then the machines gets the connection
back using the 192 IP range and everything is OK. Or someone is hacking
your wireless network and has a connection using the 169 IP trying to access
the machine. Hey, it's possible! It's kind of hard to say where the 169 IP
is coming from.

The XP O/S does have this wireless roaming ability with Wireless Zero
Configuration Services whcih can make your machine drop the connection and
try to connect to another wireless network in your area. Have you set the
Wireless Preferred network on both machines?

I don't know if Ethereal (a free packet sniffer) will work on a wireless
connection. I think it will in this case and you can install it on the
desktop and you can review the TCP and UDP traffic/packets leaving the
machine which will contain the source IP somewhere in the packet information
and see if the desktop is loosing the connection and the 169 IP is being
assigned to the wireless NIC.

That's my best guess as to why that 169 IP is being blocked by ZA on the
laptop.

Duane :)
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 7:47:46 AM

C and A Bredt <abredtX@socal.rr.com> wrote:
> I am getting a lot of Alerts from Zone Alarm on my wireless notebook
> computer. It is blocking the Alerts, but I am wondering what is going on.

You're just fooled by your "Personal Firewall". Forget that, remove
Zonealarm from your PC, and use the Windows-Firewall if you need any.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"