Random BSOD's! Programs Crashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3xus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
My Computer is randomly BSODing and programs keep on crashing. Ive tried reseating the RAM. Reinstalling Video drivers. Reseated Video Card. Nothing seems to be working. I think my computer is slowly dying. What should I do?

First step is to go back to basics and stress test the PC.

Disable/uninstall any programs that can modify BIOS (OC, etc).
Clear CMOS.
Boot directly into BIOS, and load/save default BIOS settings.
Boot into Windows.

If problem has not gone away:

Stress cpu and memory for at least an hour using Prime95 and CPUID's Hardware Monitor to watch temps. Do not let core temps exceed 75C for too long. If you abort due to heat, resolve that problem. If Prime95 reports a hardware error, we'll be looking at psu or memory/memory settings.

Stress GPU again using HWM to monitor gpu temps. Do not let temps exceed 95C for too long. If you abort due to heat, that problem needs to be resolved. If you crash, we have a bad vid card or psu.

If you pass these tests, the odds shift in favor of a software issue somewhere.

Utilities can be dl'd from these links:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

l3xus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Im gonna try that. Also i recently updated my BIOS. Then today i downgraded to an older version and im still having issues. It seems to me that its crashing when ever i access my hard drive alot.

l3xus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Ya I remember now. When I did the BIOS upgrade I left the OC settings. So now since I cleared it, it's back to normal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.