Good upgrade from 64MB Ti4200?

.... for under $200.

I'm considering either
(1) a 256MB FX5700 ...
(2) a 128MB FX5900XT ...
(3) wait several months for an AGP 6600 or 6600GT.
I'm open to other suggestions too.

Most of what I do is the Battlefield series, flight simulators, OpenGL
development, and occasionally UT2003. Waiting for the Doom3 demo to
decide if I'm interested in that.

My system is an XP2400+, but I'm tempted to build a new Athlon 64 box
when I get the new video card.

FWIW, I like antialiasing.

I would wait for the 6600 IMO. It looks like it's gonna have a lot of power,
and improvements in digital video playback for a reasonable price.

"Yeremein" <yeremein@nonexistent.net> schreef in bericht
> ... for under $200.
>
> I'm considering either
> (1) a 256MB FX5700 ...
> (2) a 128MB FX5900XT ...
> (3) wait several months for an AGP 6600 or 6600GT.
> I'm open to other suggestions too.
>
> Most of what I do is the Battlefield series, flight simulators, OpenGL
> development, and occasionally UT2003. Waiting for the Doom3 demo to
> decide if I'm interested in that.
>
> My system is an XP2400+, but I'm tempted to build a new Athlon 64 box
> when I get the new video card.
>
> FWIW, I like antialiasing.

I am in a similar situation as you are (p4 2.53 4200/64) and I have decided
that gonna build a A64 box too, as soon as the PCIe mobos are there,
together with a 6600GT/Ati rv410 (decide this when the benchmarks are
there). Why? Because if I bought a 5900XT I am almost sure I would be
wanting to upgrade again within 12 months, and a 6600GT will almost for sure
last me at least 2 years. And if I go for a 6600GT and A64 i might as well
wait for PCIe motherboards to arrive, so that I have the possiblity in 2
years to change the card and keep the cpu.
If you do buy a 5900XT i doubt that going over to a A64 will gain you very
much, your XP already does a good job there. A 6600GT wouldn't mind it
though.

So if you do plan to have the money to do both (cpu and card), I would
advise you to go the way I am going to and wait a few months (3/4 at most).
If you are not so sure at all about the CPU upgrade I would take the 5900xt
and be happy with it, considering the games you name will hold their own
quite good.

> Because if I bought a 5900XT I am almost sure I would be
> wanting to upgrade again within 12 months, and a 6600GT will almost for sure
> last me at least 2 years.

Me too!

nVidia better get those 6600 cards out quick; they're hurting FX sales.