Upgrade to 5700 good idea?

Hello all. I am looking to buy the following nVidia card:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-044&depa=0

(it is titled: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR,
128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700Q" -RETAIL should you not
wish to click an unknown link ;-) )

It looks like a good balance of price and performance but I am
particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 5700 good idea

    5700 is okay, but the best Nvidia buy (RIGHT NOW), is the 5900XT. However,
    that will be surpassed in about a month by the new 6600 GT.

    So if you can spend closer to $200, I would hold out for the 6600 GT -- that
    will be, by far, the best price/performance in the Nvidia family come
    mid-september.

    If you want to spend less than $150.00, then wait for the 6600GT to come
    out, and snap up the 5900XT when the price comes down.

    The 5700 is kind of old at this point.

    "p00lb0y" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all. I am looking to buy the following nVidia card:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-044&depa=0

    > (it is titled: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR,
    > 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700Q" -RETAIL should you not
    > wish to click an unknown link ;-) )
    >
    > It looks like a good balance of price and performance but I am
    > particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
    > does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I totally agree....It's what I'm waiting for. I have a lowly 5600xt.

    Ozman

    "Eric" <Eric@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > 5700 is okay, but the best Nvidia buy (RIGHT NOW), is the 5900XT.
    However,
    > that will be surpassed in about a month by the new 6600 GT.
    >
    > So if you can spend closer to $200, I would hold out for the 6600 GT --
    that
    > will be, by far, the best price/performance in the Nvidia family come
    > mid-september.
    >
    > If you want to spend less than $150.00, then wait for the 6600GT to come
    > out, and snap up the 5900XT when the price comes down.
    >
    > The 5700 is kind of old at this point.
    >
    > "p00lb0y" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello all. I am looking to buy the following nVidia card:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-170-044&depa=0

    > > (it is titled: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 Video Card, 256MB DDR,
    > > 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700Q" -RETAIL should you not
    > > wish to click an unknown link ;-) )
    > >
    > > It looks like a good balance of price and performance but I am
    > > particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
    > > does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,

    > particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
    > does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.

    i dont have that particular card, mines a gigabyte fx5700 card, upgraded
    from a geforce 3ti200, and am very pleased with it , quiet and hits an
    average of 30fps on medium detail at 800x600 on doom 3 on a 2200+ athlon XP

    My friend just bought that 5700 about 2 weeks ago, its a nice card, it
    does a great job on even doom 3 but here is what you need to ask
    yourself, do you want this card to last? Cause as soon as half-life 2
    or RtCW 2 come out you may be short handed.... This is a good card,
    but it'll start showing age pretty soon. My oppinion is if you really
    badly want a card and can't afford a bit more to get something like
    the 5900XT then go for it, but if you can wait, play the market for a
    month or so and see what prices you can land.

    ==============

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:28:16 +0100, Chris wrote:

    >> particularly interested if anyone has this card and just how much noise
    >> does it produce...certainly other comments and opinions are welcome.
    >>

    > i dont have that particular card, mines a gigabyte fx5700 card, upgraded
    > from a geforce 3ti200, and am very pleased with it , quiet and hits an
    > average of 30fps on medium detail at 800x600 on doom 3 on a 2200+ athlon XP

    I have the same card and I am also very happy. Are you overclocking it
    with the included util? I'm running it at 475Mhz GPU and 600Mhz MEM. It's
    very stable at that setting. I haven't tried higher though ;)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

    > I have the same card and I am also very happy. Are you overclocking it
    > with the included util? I'm running it at 475Mhz GPU and 600Mhz MEM. It's
    > very stable at that setting. I haven't tried higher though ;)

    i was playing around with overclocking it last night, and think i took it
    too 500 / 630 but running 3dmark and doom3 benchmarks it was actually
    slightly slower!? anything higher than that and just picture breakup,
    whatever i ran it at tho it stayed at a nice cool 32 degree's

    one wierd thing with the card tho , a lot of utils and benchmark programs
    read the speed at 100 / 50mhz ?!

    from 3dmark..

    Display Information
    Graphics ChipsetNVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
    Driver NameNVIDIA GeForce FX 5700
    Driver Version6.1.7.7 Driver StatusNon WHQL - Not FM Approved
    Video Memory128 MB Core Clock50 MHz
    Memory Clock100 MHz

    score of 2736 tho which i'm happy with , seems to drop to 2300 something
    when i overclock it!

    begin 666 1x1pix.gif
    K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/_______R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P``
    `
    end

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:31:31 +0100, Chris wrote:

    > one wierd thing with the card tho , a lot of utils and benchmark programs
    > read the speed at 100 / 50mhz ?!

    That happens to me too. Weird but not too much of a problem ;)

    > score of 2736 tho which i'm happy with , seems to drop to 2300 something
    > when i overclock it!

    Try the 475/600 mark. 475Mhz is the GPU speed of the Ultra. While 600 for
    the MEM is not going to approach the Ultra speed, its a good trade off for
    speed v temp. As for Doom3 I also run 800x600 med detail. I also turned on
    2xQ FSAA after overclocking and it is very playable as well as pretty :)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org