Looking for suggestions on building a 'dream' computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 23, 2004 4:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
the king of my block for awhile.....

.....so overkill is encouraged. :)

My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )

Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
the highest-end performance parts

Im thinking something such as:

- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
- 1 to 2 gigs ram
- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
whatever gets the fastest speed

All ideas are welcome. thank you
Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca
August 23, 2004 4:54:39 PM

Brad wrote:

> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
> its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
> have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
> the highest-end performance parts
>
> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB

Dual Opteron 250 processors would be nice.

> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram

2 gigs would be nice.

> - the best gaming video card

A 6800 Ultra card would be nice.

> ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed

Some smaller 10,000 rpm drives for speed, and some 250 gig 7200
rpm drives might be an interesting idea.

> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 4:54:39 PM

Brad wrote:

> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
> its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
> have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
> the highest-end performance parts
>
> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed
>
> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.

Carter
August 23, 2004 4:54:39 PM

Brad wrote:

> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or
> most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps
> cause its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear
> about it. I have a very good understanding of most components but not as
> in touch with the highest-end performance parts
>
> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB

Forget the 4 CPU unless you're running Linux--the only Windows versions that
support more than 2 are Advanced Server and above and you're not going to
get those within your $6K budget.

For duals the Opterons are a better deal than Xeons, but you're still
looking at 1500 or so bucks worth of CPUs if you go with the highest clock
speed. Running Windows you won't see a whole lot of difference between
Opteron and Xeon unless you want to try the 64-bit beta (free download from
Microsoft, 1-year time-bomb).

> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)

Not going to get 3 with good performance on all of them until somebody ships
a motherboard with 2 PCI Express 16X slots--the only AGP boards that
support 3 or more monitors are from Matrox and their gaming performance is
marginal at best. Duals with AGP just pick whatever's hot right now. Note
that you can get dual DVI with nvidia boards for a good deal less than with
ATI boards.

> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed

Within your budget 15K SCSI drives are probably out--a couple of WD Raptors,
one for boot and one for swap, plus 3 250s RAID-5ed for data would be a
good combo. Hook them all to an Intel or LSI Logic or 3Ware RAID
controller, not a Promise cheapie.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)

If you wanna see extreme overkill, check these out:

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/index.htm

<drool>
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:08:24 PM

JK wrote:
> Brad wrote:
>
>> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>>
>> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it (
>> or most of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that
>> could make me the king of my block for awhile.....
>>
>> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>>
>> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the
>> 'dream' system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i
>> know one can assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within
>> reason )
>>
>> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2
>> cents on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be
>> specially ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry
>> it ( perhaps cause its expensive or not in much demand), I still
>> would like to hear about it. I have a very good understanding of
>> most components but not as in touch with the highest-end performance
>> parts
>>
>> Im thinking something such as:
>>
>> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
>
> Dual Opteron 250 processors would be nice.
>

>> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
>> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
>
> 2 gigs would be nice.
>

>> - the best gaming video card
>
> A 6800 Ultra card would be nice.

You mad?! The X800XT blows it out of the water!

>> ( note that I want to support multiple
>> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at
>> times) - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something
>> like that.. or whatever gets the fastest speed
>
> Some smaller 10,000 rpm drives for speed, and some 250 gig 7200
> rpm drives might be an interesting idea.
>

>> All ideas are welcome. thank you
>> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Here's the system I've just built

ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
FX-55
2GB PC3200 OCZ
X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
2x75GB 10K Raptors
1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning of next
year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a hurry -
it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
Coolermaster WaveMaster case
Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to yourself to
get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most accurate and most
responsive gaming mice currently available. Coupled with a RatpadzGS (Gaming
Surface) - they will (sorry for the advertising cliche) take your gaming
experience to a whole new level.

Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight sims, RTS,
etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and management don't really
count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for
example).

Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.

lose his marbles?
August 23, 2004 7:08:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

> Here's the system I've just built
>
> ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
> FX-55
> 2GB PC3200 OCZ
> X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
> SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
> 2x75GB 10K Raptors
> 1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
> Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning of next
> year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
> Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a hurry -
> it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
> Coolermaster WaveMaster case
> Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
> Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
> If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to yourself
> to get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most accurate and most
> responsive gaming mice currently available. Coupled with a RatpadzGS
> (Gaming Surface) - they will (sorry for the advertising cliche) take your
> gaming experience to a whole new level.
>
> Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight sims, RTS,
> etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and management don't really
> count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for
> example).
>
> Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.
>
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?
WTF Would you want a system like that for if you don't use it for FPS or
Flight Sims/Racing Sims.

What Frame Rate do you get with Solitare ?
Do you suffer from Lag with Internet Hearts.?

Why don't you get an 8 Meg Bonded SDSL connection for your e-mail. ?

Have you got some £2.50 headphones for your soundblaster ?

How's the 14" Monitor running at 640 * 480 ?

What a fookin Tosser you are ?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:13:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Well if the system is for fun and work

Get the VapoChill Extreme Edition Case, it will keep your CPU @ -25C
MOBO - ABIT AV8 3rd Eye (should be on the street next week)
Athlon FX-53 939
OCZ 1024MB Kit PC-3200 Dual Channel EL DDR (512 x 2) 2-3-2-6
ATI x800XT PE
WD 740GD 74GB 10K RPM 5.2ms RAPTOR S-ATA (run 2 of these bad boys in RAID 1)

This setup should deliver some EXTREME fun and performance.

"Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or
> most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps
> cause
> its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it.
> have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
> the highest-end performance parts
>
> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed
>
> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:54:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Brad wrote:

.... snip ...

> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed
>
> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Just insist on ECC memory (and an ECC capable chipset). You also
want to be sure you can mount Linux, or FreeBSD, etc.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net&gt; USE worldnet address!
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:16:57 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
>Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
>of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
>the king of my block for awhile.....
>
>....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
>My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
>system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
>assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
>Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
>on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
>ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
>its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
>have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
>the highest-end performance parts
>
>Im thinking something such as:
>
>- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
>- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
>- 1 to 2 gigs ram
>- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
>monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
>- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
>whatever gets the fastest speed
>
>All ideas are welcome. thank you
>Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

Remember that in a few years, whatever you get will seem a little
sub-par again. Start with a good foundation, parts you will want
to reuse in the future.

For example, a very thick-walled aluminum, nearly full tower case
supporting BTX regardless of which ATX/BTX you build "today". PC
Power & Cooling PSU. 19-21" LCD monitor, nice speakers. 4 years
from now those will still be a nice start to rebuild from.

As for the rest, depends on where you need max performance,
keeping in mind that max performance in areas you'll never
exploit, will just be added heat and noise, power usage. I would
go for 2GB memory though, on a machine with that budget.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:02:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
>Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
>of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
>the king of my block for awhile.....
>
>....so overkill is encouraged. :)

*shakes head*

....stupid.

>My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
>system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
>assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )

I can build you a system for a few million (how much are the Altix 3000 superclusters going for
these days) how is that for reasonable?

>Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
>on what I could shop for.

Intelligence would probably be the first thing you should look into buying.

>Even if the component needs to be specially
>ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
>its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it.

*shakes head*

>I have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
>the highest-end performance parts

The highest end computer systems will cost upwards of $50,000 per rack mount (something in the range
of Intel Itanium 2's)

>Im thinking something such as:
>
>- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB

*shakes head*

>- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.

For $6,000 you could probably buy 2 or 3 low grade rack mounts.

>- 1 to 2 gigs ram

For $6,000? That's pretty pathetic, you could probably afford upwards of 8 gigs on your budget.

>- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
>monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)

Well now see that just raises all sorts of questions. I mean are you talking about just a card with
a TV tuner or are you talking about being able to capture as well? And if so what resolution,
format and bit rate are you looking to encode in?

>- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
>whatever gets the fastest speed

Why bother? Just use one drive in the system and then get yourself a mobile rack removable drive
setup if you need extra storage.

>All ideas are welcome. thank you
>Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

You know the thing of it is, it's like you're trying to build "OMG WTF TEH MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM
EVAR" and you're naive enough to think $6,000 is even a drop in the bucket for a system that could
be truly considered that. It sounds more like what you want is a "cool" or "unique" LOOKING system.
Check this out (my brothers system): http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-System-Visual-Upgrades?p...

Now that's just an old Athlon 900Mhz system with 128mb of memory, but it looks 8 shades of absolute
badass. That's because the concentration was put on style rather than just trying to buy a lot of
expensive component to try and get speed that wasn't even needed for the applications that he
regularly uses. The upgrades you see on that link, yeah, the visual stuff didn't cost more than a
$150...granted it was all some assembly required, no instructions, figure it out for yourself, but
it wasn't expensive.

So really, you need to decide if you just want a few butt ugly boring generic brand box mounts
sitting in your living room which isn't really going to impress anyone unless they're just REALLY
familiar with Ghz and terabytes and what not. Or do you want to go for STYLE that will REALLY
impress your average laymen (someone like you, who obviously doesn't know much about the subject).

Think about it, if you walked into a room and saw this:
http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-System-Visual-Upgrades/g...
or this:
http://www.bdmsystems.co.uk/images/multiflex/rackmount....
which would you THINK was the "faster"/"better" system, just off hand?

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:02:31 -0700, Onideus Mad Hatter
<mad_hatter@charter.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>>
>>Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
>>of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
>>the king of my block for awhile.....
>>
>>....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
>*shakes head*
>
>...stupid.
Please explain how wanting a fast computer, being had on someone
else's dollar is stupid?.

>>My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
>>system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
>>assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
>I can build you a system for a few million (how much are the Altix 3000 superclusters going for
>these days) how is that for reasonable?
Yea, and how many gamers have those?

>>Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
>>on what I could shop for.
>
>Intelligence would probably be the first thing you should look into buying.
Oh heck, here we go again......

>>Even if the component needs to be specially
>>ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
>>its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it.
>
>*shakes head*
>
>>I have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
>>the highest-end performance parts
>
>The highest end computer systems will cost upwards of $50,000 per rack mount (something in the range
>of Intel Itanium 2's)
Yea, and again, how many gamers have those?

>>Im thinking something such as:
>>
>>- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
>
>*shakes head*
>
>>- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
>
>For $6,000 you could probably buy 2 or 3 low grade rack mounts.
Hmm, the guy asks for advice on building a kick-ass system, yet you
point him to a couple low-grade systems. Weird.

>>- 1 to 2 gigs ram
>
>For $6,000? That's pretty pathetic, you could probably afford upwards of 8 gigs on your budget.
>
>>- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
>>monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
>
>Well now see that just raises all sorts of questions. I mean are you talking about just a card with
>a TV tuner or are you talking about being able to capture as well? And if so what resolution,
>format and bit rate are you looking to encode in?
>
>>- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
>>whatever gets the fastest speed
>
>Why bother? Just use one drive in the system and then get yourself a mobile rack removable drive
>setup if you need extra storage.
>
>>All ideas are welcome. thank you
>>Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca
>
>You know the thing of it is, it's like you're trying to build "OMG WTF TEH MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM
>EVAR" and you're naive enough to think $6,000 is even a drop in the bucket for a system that could
>be truly considered that. It sounds more like what you want is a "cool" or "unique" LOOKING system.
>Check this out (my brothers system): http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-System-Visual-Upgrades?p...
OK, it has some lights and a couple goodies. It alright, but not THAT
special. BTW, if you buy a decent case, it WON'T have sharp edges.

>Now that's just an old Athlon 900Mhz system with 128mb of memory, but it looks 8 shades of absolute
>badass. That's because the concentration was put on style rather than just trying to buy a lot of
>expensive component to try and get speed that wasn't even needed for the applications that he
>regularly uses. The upgrades you see on that link, yeah, the visual stuff didn't cost more than a
>$150...granted it was all some assembly required, no instructions, figure it out for yourself, but
>it wasn't expensive.
The guy's looking for advice on building a kick-ass system, so you
point him to an 900mhz athlon system with a couple lights

>So really, you need to decide if you just want a few butt ugly boring generic brand box mounts
>sitting in your living room which isn't really going to impress anyone unless they're just REALLY
>familiar with Ghz and terabytes and what not. Or do you want to go for STYLE that will REALLY
>impress your average laymen (someone like you, who obviously doesn't know much about the subject).
The guy that's pimping a sub-gigabyte system is telling someone else
how little they know about real systems. Come on, you can do better
than that.

>Think about it, if you walked into a room and saw this:
>http://www.meow.org/flonk/Josh-System-Visual-Upgrades/g...
>or this:
>http://www.bdmsystems.co.uk/images/multiflex/rackmount....
>which would you THINK was the "faster"/"better" system, just off hand?
I'm not sure how to answer that, since those stupid LEDs don't add any
speed or functionality. Hard to tell how fast a system is by looking
at the case, no matter how many lights it has.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:04:04 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:22:40 -0230, Carter Lee <perardua@adastra.ca> wrote:

>Brad wrote:
>
>> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>>
>> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
>> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
>> the king of my block for awhile.....
>>
>> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>>
>> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
>> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
>> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>>
>> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
>> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
>> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
>> its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
>> have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
>> the highest-end performance parts
>>
>> Im thinking something such as:
>>
>> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
>> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
>> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
>> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
>> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
>> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
>> whatever gets the fastest speed
>>
>> All ideas are welcome. thank you
>> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca
>
>My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.

....huh?

How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a server... o_O

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
http://www.backwater-productions.net
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:19:58 AM

"Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> tried to express:
> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

I just built my own UBER-class machine.
Tyan S2668ANR dual Xeon motherboard
2GB DDR memory
dual Xeons running at 2.8Ghz 533fsb 512K L2 cache
Gainward GeForce FX5900 Golden Sample video 8X AGP
two each Maxtor ATA133 disks (120GB each)
Antec Plusview 1080 tower case
Antec True550 EPS12V power supply
(motherboard wont run without a Tyan approved power supply!)
Pinnacle AV/DV videio capture board

I already had the AV/DV board but the other stuff cost about $1900 US.

I'm not one to jump to the front of the curve so I chose technology
that has been around for a couple of years, or basically the stuff
that recently came way down in price.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:59:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

liam ur a dick.... just cause u cant get one.

--
Almeyda

AMD2500XP @3200XP-11X200-2.21Ghz
A7N8X-E Deluxe > Corsair TWINX1024 XMS3200LL DualChannel
HIS Excalibur 9800XT 256mb @463/399 (Omegas 2.5.51 & ATI tool 0.20 No
Artifacts)
1x80GB SATA Seagate 8mg cache > 2x40GB ATA Seagate
SB AudigyES > ANTEC SuperLanboy 350 Case (350W SmartBlue PS)

"liam" <lm2000uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Here's the system I've just built
>>
>> ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
>> FX-55
>> 2GB PC3200 OCZ
>> X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
>> SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
>> 2x75GB 10K Raptors
>> 1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
>> Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning of next
>> year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
>> Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a hurry -
>> it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
>> Coolermaster WaveMaster case
>> Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
>> Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
>> If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to yourself
>> to get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most accurate and most
>> responsive gaming mice currently available. Coupled with a RatpadzGS
>> (Gaming Surface) - they will (sorry for the advertising cliche) take your
>> gaming experience to a whole new level.
>>
>> Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight sims, RTS,
>> etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and management don't really
>> count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for
>> example).
>>
>> Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.
>>
>> --
>> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
>> lose his marbles?
> WTF Would you want a system like that for if you don't use it for FPS or
> Flight Sims/Racing Sims.
>
> What Frame Rate do you get with Solitare ?
> Do you suffer from Lag with Internet Hearts.?
>
> Why don't you get an 8 Meg Bonded SDSL connection for your e-mail. ?
>
> Have you got some £2.50 headphones for your soundblaster ?
>
> How's the 14" Monitor running at 640 * 480 ?
>
> What a fookin Tosser you are ?

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 6:03:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

"liam" <lm2000uk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Here's the system I've just built
> >
> > ASUS SK8V Deluxe board
> > FX-55
> > 2GB PC3200 OCZ
> > X800 Pro (couldn't get the XT)
> > SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
> > 2x75GB 10K Raptors
> > 1x250GB Caviar (all SATA obviously)
> > Plextor DVD burner (though this will be replaced at the beginning of
next
> > year with one of the new 8.5GB units)
> > Samsung combi (for convenience and when I need to burn a CD in a hurry -
> > it's twice as fast as the Plextor)
> > Coolermaster WaveMaster case
> > Tagan SilentPower 500W PSU (and it *IS* silent!)
> > Logitech iTouch combi (Bluetooth)
> > If you're a gamer (which you obviously are) - the you owe it to yourself
> > to get a MX700 or MX900 (Bluetooth) - they are the most accurate and
most
> > responsive gaming mice currently available. Coupled with a RatpadzGS
> > (Gaming Surface) - they will (sorry for the advertising cliche) take
your
> > gaming experience to a whole new level.
> >
> > Whilst I'm not really a gamer (not in the sense of FPS, flight sims,
RTS,
> > etc) I do play (OK, I guess adventures, RPGs and management don't really
> > count - I can't wait for /Rollercoaster Tycoon 3/ or /The Sims 2/ for
> > example).
> >
> > Just my 2p (inc. VAT)'s worth.
> >
> > --
> > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> > lose his marbles?
> WTF Would you want a system like that for if you don't use it for FPS or
> Flight Sims/Racing Sims.
>
> What Frame Rate do you get with Solitare ?
> Do you suffer from Lag with Internet Hearts.?
>
> Why don't you get an 8 Meg Bonded SDSL connection for your e-mail. ?
>
> Have you got some £2.50 headphones for your soundblaster ?
>
> How's the 14" Monitor running at 640 * 480 ?
>
> What a fookin Tosser you are ?

Now now keep the claws in girls. :-)

August 24, 2004 9:09:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

> >My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.
>
> ...huh?
>
> How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a
server...

PC is 'Personal Computer'. A server is typically meant to be used by many
and not 'personal' usage.

Sometimes the terminology can cause a bit of misunderstanding
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:09:34 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:09:33 GMT, "Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>> >My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.
>>
>> ...huh?
>>
>> How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a
>server...
>
>PC is 'Personal Computer'. A server is typically meant to be used by many
>and not 'personal' usage.
>
>Sometimes the terminology can cause a bit of misunderstanding

I usually think of PC as meaning an IBM compatible machine as opposed to a Mac.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
http://www.backwater-productions.net
August 24, 2004 9:40:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

> You know the thing of it is, it's like you're trying to build "OMG WTF TEH
MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM
> EVAR"

I said 'king of the block for awhile', meaning 'above average among the
local populace'...not 'most powerful ever' Theres a very big difference.
Its apparent that you dont understand

> >For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.

You should have moved on after reading that part, Ordinaryus

Im looking for some knowledge that you contributed none of so go 'shake
head' elsewhere
August 24, 2004 9:57:45 AM

In article <iOlWc.195048$J06.122966@pd7tw2no>, nospam@shaw.ca says...
> For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
> Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
> of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
> the king of my block for awhile.....
>
> ....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
> My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
> system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
> assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
> Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
> on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
> ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
> its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
> have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
> the highest-end performance parts
>
> Im thinking something such as:
>
> - Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
> - fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
> - 1 to 2 gigs ram
> - the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
> monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
> - hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
> whatever gets the fastest speed
>
> All ideas are welcome. thank you
> Post thoughts here so others amy share in or email bwps (@) shaw.ca

What are you doing with this system? 6000 is a nice gaming rig, but you
aren't going to get anything astronomical for that price.

Fastest 64 bit AMD, good motherboard with whatever hookups you want on
it, a case, a cooling solution (water or whatever), 2 gigs of ram, a few
Western Digital 10000 rpm raptor drives, a few 250-300 gig backup
drives, 16x dual layer dvd burner, whichever vidcard you are attached to
(uber6800 or uberx800... both of which have dual outputs you can run
monitors from), an audigy 2 if you hate onboard audio, a set of digital
speakers (logitech or klipsch), an ati or pinnacle capture card for your
cable, and a few LCD monitors... Those would actually break your budget.

But that's what a normal 6000 system looks like.
August 24, 2004 12:40:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

> What are you doing with this system? 6000 is a nice gaming rig, but you
> aren't going to get anything astronomical for that price.

Im doing a fair amount of video work and compiling from my office in my home
( in the home hence to why i want to add onto it to make it an excellent
gamer system). The computer is to be paid by the company as a business
expense, and Im able to acquire whatever system I feel is necessary. Any
overkill is just a nice extra bonus seeing that it wont cost me anything.

> Fastest 64 bit AMD, good motherboard with whatever hookups you want on
> it, a case, a cooling solution (water or whatever), 2 gigs of ram, a few
> Western Digital 10000 rpm raptor drives, a few 250-300 gig backup
> drives, 16x dual layer dvd burner, whichever vidcard you are attached to
> (uber6800 or uberx800... both of which have dual outputs you can run
> monitors from), an audigy 2 if you hate onboard audio, a set of digital
> speakers (logitech or klipsch), an ati or pinnacle capture card for your
> cable, and a few LCD monitors... Those would actually break your budget.
>
> But that's what a normal 6000 system looks like.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:40:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

OK..bit of a lengthy reply and purely my own view on this. Others may have
opposing viewpoints but this based on being in the corporate world.

I would suggest something that I have not seen posted yet. Consider
something like a Dell, IBM, etc. (I hear the sighs already) since service
and support would be high on your companies list. If the system goes down
and it is a local or self built system, they may not be too happy if you
cannot get proper support. And in that context also consider an extended
warranty. Corporations are big on not having to pay for service for the
longest possible time. I would not push your companies "generous" nature
myself. If an employee doing a similar job as yourself can do a very nice
job with a system costing a couple of grand less, you may raise an eyebrow
or two with overkill.

That said go for lots of RAM since video work is a priority. Also as fast a
processor as is available. I lean toward Intel but to each his/her own. Grab
one of the very newest video cards by ATI or NVIDIA with 256 MB of RAM or
more again with video work being a priority. A SATA hard drive and as large
a capacity as is available since video files can really chew up space. Also
a decent monitor at least 19" and possibly 21 or so. Needless to say if it
whips through serious video work like a charm, it should run gaming software
without a hitch. Check around and see what others in the company are using
and ask a lot of quotations from your computer supplier of choice to be sure
that the system will live up to it's intended use. Also see if your company
deals with a particular manufacturer. This may mean a discount and you can
get an even more powerful system or upgrades as opposed to hunting down a
system on your own.

Regards,
John O.

>> What are you doing with this system? 6000 is a nice gaming rig, but you
>> aren't going to get anything astronomical for that price.
>
> Im doing a fair amount of video work and compiling from my office in my
> home
> ( in the home hence to why i want to add onto it to make it an excellent
> gamer system). The computer is to be paid by the company as a business
> expense, and Im able to acquire whatever system I feel is necessary. Any
> overkill is just a nice extra bonus seeing that it wont cost me anything.
>

>> Fastest 64 bit AMD, good motherboard with whatever hookups you want on
>> it, a case, a cooling solution (water or whatever), 2 gigs of ram, a few
>> Western Digital 10000 rpm raptor drives, a few 250-300 gig backup
>> drives, 16x dual layer dvd burner, whichever vidcard you are attached to
>> (uber6800 or uberx800... both of which have dual outputs you can run
>> monitors from), an audigy 2 if you hate onboard audio, a set of digital
>> speakers (logitech or klipsch), an ati or pinnacle capture card for your
>> cable, and a few LCD monitors... Those would actually break your budget.
>>
>> But that's what a normal 6000 system looks like.

August 24, 2004 12:53:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

http://mentalhelp.net/
August 24, 2004 1:08:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

http://mentalhelp.net/
August 24, 2004 1:08:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

http://mentalhelp.net/
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:04:15 PM

Brad wrote:

>> >My suggestion is don't get a PC, get a server.
>>
>> ...huh?
>>
>> How would a "server" NOT be a PC? Well I suppose if you setup a Mac as a
> server...
>
> PC is 'Personal Computer'. A server is typically meant to be used by many
> and not 'personal' usage.
>
> Sometimes the terminology can cause a bit of misunderstanding

Server can be defined by use and by architecture, but generally speaking a
machine which is providing a service to multiple users or client-machines
is a "server" regardless of the architecture. You can set up a Mac as a
server or an RS/6000, or a Sparc, or an iSeries or a zSeries or one of the
older architectures such as AS/400, S/390, Alpha, or VAX, or a PC, or an
Intel-based box purpose-made as a server.

There's a notion that a server is somehow more "heavy-duty" than a desktop
machine, but that isn't always so.

For the stated requirements, "get a server" is not good advice in any
case--"get a workstation" would be better. If you look at the specs on
purpose-made servers you'll find that they typically have built-in video
with no AGP slot for openers--for a server high-performance video is a
waste, so the resources that would be devoted to the AGP slot are instead
diverted to 64-bit or 66 MHz or PCI-X (not PCI Express) slots. That means
that using "the best video gaming card" is out. Further, some servers are
pretty wimpy machines--they're made to fit a space and provide a minimum
level of performance necessary for a task--look at the 1U rack-optimized
servers for example--while some of them have fast processors and can take a
large amount of RAM the expansion capabilities without adding an external
case are very limited.

While the trend is changing, for most of the history of the Intel-based
machines an Intel-based server was considered to be a "PC". IBM even sold
them as "PC Servers". With the complexity of machines increasing (a loaded
PC can have as many transistors as the human brain has neurons) and
allowing higher degrees of optimization, the architectural distinction
between a PC and a server is becoming more significant, but generally
speaking until you get into the 4- or more processor machines a server is
for most practical purposes a PC and can be used as such, subject to the
limitations imposed by its optimizations.

For high performance graphics use the type of machine generally chosen is
called a "workstation" and there are purpose-made workstation boards
made--if you go over to the Intel site you'll see some examples of
purpose-made server and workstation boards and can get an idea of the
features to expect on either.

For an example from the AMD world, compare a Tyan Thunder K8S Pro with a
Thunder K8W.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:54:10 PM

Brad wrote:
> http://mentalhelp.net/

Bradley, I suggest you take your own advice. Oh and some remedial English
classes whilst you're at it, as you don't appear to know the difference
between 'you're' and 'your' 'it's and its'.Let me explain in words a
retarded 13-year-old such as yourself might understand.

Let's start with 'you're and 'your' and take the latter first. 'Your' is a
possessive adjective - 'your hat' 'your coat' 'your attitude' or it can be
used to indicate direction 'mine is the third house on your right'.

You're, on the other hand, is a contraction (that's what the apostrophe -
that little curly thing - indicates. a missing letter, in this instance an
'a'. So when you said to Onideus "you figure your someone special..." it
makes no sense, what you should have said was "you figure /you're/ someone
special..."

OK, now let's move on to 'its' and 'it's' shall we? 'Its' (no apostrophe) is
possessive 'the dog eats its dinner'. With an apostrophe, it's a contraction
for 'it is' - if you write ' the dog eats it's dinner' what you're really
saying is 'the dog eats it is dinner' which makes no sense whatsoever.

In fact, you appear to need a new keyboard, as yours doesn't appear to have
an apostrophe - if it does, you don't use it. 'words' like I'm (a
contraction of I am) don't (do not) won't (will not) and they're (they are)
require apostrophes. If you don't use an apostrophe in 'won't' it changes
the meaning entirely - 'wont' (no apostrophe) means 'apt, accustomed to'.

Your lack of knowledge of your native tongue makes you look an even bigger
moron that you already are.

lose his marbles?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:57:33 PM

http://www.<plonk>

> --
>
> Onideus Mad Hatter
> mhm ¹ x ¹
> http://www.backwater-productions.net

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:00:13 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Brad wrote:
>> http://mentalhelp.net/
>

> Bradley, I suggest you take your own advice. Oh and some remedial English
> classes whilst you're at it, as you don't appear to know the difference
> between 'you're' and 'your' 'it's and its'.Let me explain in words a
> retarded 13-year-old such as yourself might understand.
>
> Let's start with 'you're and 'your' and take the latter first. 'Your' is a
> possessive adjective - 'your hat' 'your coat' 'your attitude' or it can be
> used to indicate direction 'mine is the third house on your right'.
>
> You're, on the other hand, is a contraction (that's what the apostrophe -
> that little curly thing - indicates. a missing letter, in this instance an
> 'a'. So when you said to Onideus "you figure your someone special..." it
> makes no sense, what you should have said was "you figure /you're/ someone
> special..."
>
> OK, now let's move on to 'its' and 'it's' shall we? 'Its' (no apostrophe)
> is possessive 'the dog eats its dinner'. With an apostrophe, it's a
> contraction for 'it is' - if you write ' the dog eats it's dinner' what
> you're really saying is 'the dog eats it is dinner' which makes no sense
> whatsoever.
>
> In fact, you appear to need a new keyboard, as yours doesn't appear to
> have an apostrophe - if it does, you don't use it. 'words' like I'm (a
> contraction of I am) don't (do not) won't (will not) and they're (they
> are) require apostrophes. If you don't use an apostrophe in 'won't' it
> changes the meaning entirely - 'wont' (no apostrophe) means 'apt,
> accustomed to'.
>
> Your lack of knowledge of your native tongue makes you look an even bigger
> moron that you already are.

Oh joy, a grammar flame.

<plonk>

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
August 24, 2004 5:10:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

www.grammarnazi.com
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Aha they talk about these two standards in the thread just above/after your
thread here in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:52:47 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:39:45 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>My system was built by a local company (the sales manager is a good friend),
>so I was able to avail myself of a few 'mate's rates'. Please don't
>generalise like that - not all independent retailers are crooked.

I don't know if you noticed the link in my sig but I happen to be a local company who does such
work...but I still generalize like that because in my experience MOST computer repair shops (at
least in white bread suburbia USA) are absolute crooks. In fact that was the reason I went into
business, cause I was tired of hearing all these horror stories about how people had gotten charged
like $60 just to have them LOOK at their machine, not even fix the problem. o_O

There are some honest repair places, but unless you know them on a personal level or they come
highly recommened I'd be very careful.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
http://www.backwater-productions.net
August 24, 2004 10:22:44 PM

Brad wrote:

> > What are you doing with this system? 6000 is a nice gaming rig, but you
> > aren't going to get anything astronomical for that price.
>
> Im doing a fair amount of video work and compiling from my office in my home
> ( in the home hence to why i want to add onto it to make it an excellent
> gamer system). The computer is to be paid by the company as a business
> expense, and Im able to acquire whatever system I feel is necessary. Any
> overkill is just a nice extra bonus seeing that it wont cost me anything.
>
> > Fastest 64 bit AMD, good motherboard with whatever hookups you want on
> > it, a case, a cooling solution (water or whatever), 2 gigs of ram, a few
> > Western Digital 10000 rpm raptor drives, a few 250-300 gig backup
> > drives, 16x dual layer dvd burner, whichever vidcard you are attached to
> > (uber6800 or uberx800... both of which have dual outputs you can run
> > monitors from), an audigy 2 if you hate onboard audio, a set of digital
> > speakers (logitech or klipsch), an ati or pinnacle capture card for your
> > cable, and a few LCD monitors... Those would actually break your budget.
> >
> > But that's what a normal 6000 system looks like.

These look tame in comparision:

http://alienware.com/Product_Pages/workstation_video_al...
August 24, 2004 10:34:59 PM

In article <N9DWc.204051$gE.103129@pd7tw3no>, nospam@shaw.ca says...
> > What are you doing with this system? 6000 is a nice gaming rig, but you
> > aren't going to get anything astronomical for that price.
>
> Im doing a fair amount of video work and compiling from my office in my home
> ( in the home hence to why i want to add onto it to make it an excellent
> gamer system). The computer is to be paid by the company as a business
> expense, and Im able to acquire whatever system I feel is necessary. Any
> overkill is just a nice extra bonus seeing that it wont cost me anything.
>

> > Fastest 64 bit AMD, good motherboard with whatever hookups you want on
> > it, a case, a cooling solution (water or whatever), 2 gigs of ram, a few
> > Western Digital 10000 rpm raptor drives, a few 250-300 gig backup
> > drives, 16x dual layer dvd burner, whichever vidcard you are attached to
> > (uber6800 or uberx800... both of which have dual outputs you can run
> > monitors from), an audigy 2 if you hate onboard audio, a set of digital
> > speakers (logitech or klipsch), an ati or pinnacle capture card for your
> > cable, and a few LCD monitors... Those would actually break your budget.
> >
> > But that's what a normal 6000 system looks like.

Ok, The only thing I'd change then is to get the maximum memory allowed
in your motherboard. Unless you will be using a program for compiling
that can take advantage of dual procs I wouldn't worry about that. If
your software can, however, definately go that route. Both intel and amd
make excellent dual chips, so that's not really a concern either (the
giant cache on the xeon is nice, tho). And, um, did I mention disk
space? Lots of disk space?

You'll also want to think about a way to get your work to and fro. I'd
say a firewire external hard drive.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

The guy-who-has-anger-issues has some points, even if he's being an ass
about it and exaggerating quite a bit. Like I am slightly biased toward AMD,
he seems biased toward Intel. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The
latest Xeons (the most expensive and new ones, btw) have a larger cache and
some (the super expensive ones) have hyperthreading. The Opterons have a
much more efficient (1600mhz) cpu-memory-to-cpu bus. Of course, if you are
going for a dually, you don't need two Xeons pretending they are 4. I
guarantee you that!

His point about not buying the very latest has some merit UNLESS you have a
large budget.
Btw, the Opteron 250 is not super new (this is all relative, right?) but it
IS the highest priced Opteron so there is of course a large price gap
between the 250 and the 248 but I give you the benefit of the doubt that you
know that already. Some of us want/need our fastest-chip now and pay the
premium so we can have it. And hey if you get more renders done faster,
maybe it pays for itself.

Btw the only chip that really can beat the Opteron 250 in SOME benchmarks is
the very newest Xeon 3.4 with hyperthreading, which is just as new-to-market
and just as untried and untested as the Opteron 250. Maybe moreso. Research
it. I don't know.
So anyway, I *did* already recommend dropping down to the 248 to save money.

Here are a few benchmarks I quickly found via Google that show you how
similar in performance all these chips are.
It really comes down to a couple things in the end:
(a) how much money do you have?
(b) what motherboard/RAM choices do you prefer?
(c) are you a fan of intel or AMD?

Some benchmarks:

250 vs Xeon 3.4
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=noconaop...

248 vs Xeon 3.2s
http://www.highend3d.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board...

Oh and regarding the guy-who-has-anger-issues' words about video cards: I
assumed (right or wrongly?) that you may play 3D games. If you don't, then
yeah, get a lower-end card OR get one of those cards specifically made for
rendering. He mentioned semi-correctly that rendering software uses the CPU
and not the video card. He's half right because some (and more and more as
time goes on) of the rendering software out there *does* love to have a
sweet gaming-type video card like the 6800 series with lots of RAM. He did
bring up a useful point when he said make sure the card you get has a
video-in.

I didn't bother to read much else of his overly critical letter because I
don't really respect the guy's attitude or advice and I don't have the time
to feed his [whatever].

Good luck and fun shopping to you!

Scott
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 2:48:49 AM

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:48:48 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>The guy-who-has-anger-issues has some points, even if he's being an ass
>about it and exaggerating quite a bit.

I don't have anger issues, you have a "taking Usenet too seriously" issue.

>Like I am slightly biased toward AMD,
>he seems biased toward Intel.

Um, no I don't. I stated pure facts. As far as video editing and rendering go, the Xeons are
currently top dawg. If all he wants to do is play games then I suppose an AMD processor *might* be
a lil better, but most games rely more on the capabilities of your graphics card than they do your
processor anyway so it's kind of a moot point. Really if he didn't want to do any sort of video
editing I'd recommend any processor really (except for the Duron and Celeron processors, I don't
support low grade hardware).

>Each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The
>latest Xeons (the most expensive and new ones, btw) have a larger cache and
>some (the super expensive ones) have hyperthreading.

You don't pay that much extra for hyper threading actually.

>His point about not buying the very latest has some merit UNLESS you have a
>large budget.

No, even if you have a large budget it STILL doesn't make any sense. The only way it makes sense is
if you have a penchant for wasting money, in which case you probably won't have very much money for
very long, so it doesn't much matter.

>Btw, the Opteron 250 is not super new (this is all relative, right?) but it
>IS the highest priced Opteron so there is of course a large price gap
>between the 250 and the 248 but I give you the benefit of the doubt that you
>know that already. Some of us want/need our fastest-chip now and pay the
>premium so we can have it. And hey if you get more renders done faster,
>maybe it pays for itself.

Uh huh, some of us though eventually wisen up and realize that there is no real benefit, only
significant loss. I remember the time when I first bought a portable DVD player right when they
came out cause I just HAD to have one...it cost a $1,000...3 years later they only cost $200 and do
twice as much as the first one I bought...not to mention quite a bit less buggy. Patience is the
key to not making stupid decisions and wasting money.

>Btw the only chip that really can beat the Opteron 250 in SOME benchmarks is
>the very newest Xeon 3.4 with hyperthreading, which is just as new-to-market
>and just as untried and untested as the Opteron 250. Maybe moreso. Research
>it. I don't know.
>So anyway, I *did* already recommend dropping down to the 248 to save money.

For some added interest:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=noconaop...
(that one REALLY shows how lacking the Opterons are in graphics rendering)

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=noconaop...
Now ya see there's where the Opterons REALLY shine, with web server applications.

Oh and BTW, here's the real kicker:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
$875

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
$745

OUCH!!! Nearly $130 cheaper than the Opteron, not exactly very good on the savings when you consider
how very little the advantage is with the Opterons...well uless maybe you're setting up a web
server...although in that event I'm thinkin most sysadmins would just go for the gold and get
Itanium processors.

>Oh and regarding the guy-who-has-anger-issues' words about video cards: I
>assumed (right or wrongly?) that you may play 3D games. If you don't, then
>yeah, get a lower-end card OR get one of those cards specifically made for
>rendering. He mentioned semi-correctly that rendering software uses the CPU
>and not the video card. He's half right because some (and more and more as
>time goes on) of the rendering software out there *does* love to have a
>sweet gaming-type video card like the 6800 series with lots of RAM. He did
>bring up a useful point when he said make sure the card you get has a
>video-in.

Oh really? Cause ya know I did some interesting benchmarks myself with a Radeon 9800XT vs a Radeon
9000 using 3Ds Max, Maya and Bryce and in ALL the test there was, get this, NO difference. o_O

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
http://www.backwater-productions.net
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 6:03:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Hey Brad -

Before we all make more assumptions about what you do with your computer (ok
I already did, heh), can you tell us if you play games or not? I apologize
if I assumed you would use it to play 3d games. I see you only said you
would use it to do video work and compiling.

So if no 3d gaming then you may want to look at the nVidia Quadro line (or I
hear good things also about ATi's FireGL cards for same purpose) of cards
instead of the 6800 line.

The system I recommended was for all-around performance. Because I do web
design, graphics design, database design, compiling of code, video
rendering, 3d rendering, audio production, burning, and 3d gaming, I assumed
you wanted the same and designed as if I were building MY dream system, heh.
Hope you didn't put in an order for nVidia's 6800 Ultra OC if you didn't
need one for 3D gaming.

Oh and all those prices I put a little "~" next to because I meant "approx"
and assumed you would shop around for better prices. I usually begin at
newegg.com because they are comparably priced to the best online stores,
carry good brands, have a wide range in stock, and are very dependable. But
odds are you won't find every piece there. The memory I recommended is very
high quality. Not THE highest but definitely rockin RAM.

I hope after you buy all the parts you keep postin to let us know what you
got and then eventually how it all works out.

Maybe time to start a new thread and let us know in this one where to look.
This thread is getting kinda long, ya know?

Scott
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:35:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

That makes three totally empty articles from you so far.

<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net&gt; USE worldnet address!
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 10:14:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Good, pleased you can count.

The propagation of cross posting shite will continue to be culled.
BoroLad
August 25, 2004 2:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

> Hey Brad -
>
> Before we all make more assumptions about what you do with your computer
(ok
> I already did, heh), can you tell us if you play games or not?

Oh definately.. Im a big game player. Im gonna pick up Doom 3 and Far Cry
when i get the new stuff purchased. Looking forward to Half Life 2 as well
but has had extensive delays still.

> Hope you didn't put in an order for nVidia's 6800 Ultra OC if you didn't
> need one for 3D gaming.

Nothing's been ordered yet. Im just preparing the list and checking for
availability.I wont be able to make any final purchases until the first of
september. This months end income will show the exact allowable budget for
the system right down to the cent. However, things are still on track to
allow $6000 ish.

> Oh and all those prices I put a little "~" next to because I meant
"approx"
> and assumed you would shop around for better prices. I usually begin at
> newegg.com because they are comparably priced to the best online stores,
> carry good brands, have a wide range in stock, and are very dependable.
But
> odds are you won't find every piece there.

Yes, Im sure there will be price flucuations with different stores, but then
again.. I dont really have to worry much about that this time. heh. As for
availability,the local distributor here seems to be able to get me whatever
I want. Sometimes theres a few days wait to get orders in....but i'm not in
a rush.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:31:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:54:38 GMT, "Brad" <nospam@shaw.ca> wrote:

>For the computer knowledgable and savvy people.
>
>Looking to get a new system and the company will be paying for it ( or most
>of it) so im looking to put together an awesome system that could make me
>the king of my block for awhile.....
>
>....so overkill is encouraged. :)
>
>My current computer cost about $1000 a few years back, so if the 'dream'
>system runs up to say $6000, i would like to know about. ( i know one can
>assemble a system for $20 K so im trying to keep within reason )
>
>Im asking if some of you hardware informed people may give me your 2 cents
>on what I could shop for. Even if the component needs to be specially
>ordered from the manufacturer because stores rarely carry it ( perhaps cause
>its expensive or not in much demand), I still would like to hear about it. I
>have a very good understanding of most components but not as in touch with
>the highest-end performance parts
>
>Im thinking something such as:
>
>- Dual ( or even 4 ??) CPU MB
>- fast cpu's to fill those multiple slots.
>- 1 to 2 gigs ram
>- the best gaming video card ( note that I want to support multiple
>monitors..2 hopefully 3 and being able to video input cable tv at times)
>- hard drive: running 4, 200gb drives in raid or something like that.. or
>whatever gets the fastest speed

P4s don't support dual setups. so an AMD Opteron setup will do... 2
of those CPUS + mobo can run you about $1000~1600.

RAM for them about $1000

250GB HDs x 4 (7200RPM Maxtors are not much slower and are silent)
would cost you about $600

6800 Ultra, hands down.

Look at the new LianLi case with nothing but holes in the front : $200

A 500~600watt PSU - about $150~200.

Whatever lights you want to put into it.

Samsung 24" LCD monitor ($2000)

$200~400 speaker system (Logitech / Klipish)

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 12:04:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

Yeah I concur with Darthy on what she said.
Especially I've found Samsung to be a great brand of monitor for the price.
I'm running two Samsungs side-by-side, 21" and 17", and have been very happy
with them.
That's cool there is a 24" LCD available for just $2,000 now! [drooling]
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 12:09:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

I'd prolly opt for getting two 21" Samsung LCDs and put them side by side.
More total screenage than with that one 24".
Check out http://www.monitorsdirect.com
OK yeah I see there you can get a Samsung 21inch LCD for $1,057 each. Wow.
Nice. My 17" cost more than that back when I got it a couple years ago.
BTW I think Viewsonic has gone down hill and I would stay away from that
brand if possible.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:54:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,can.general (More info?)

For $1200, it's actually price-competitive with 21" NEC flat-screen
Diamondtron monitors.

news:D uMYc.52364$v86.41185@fe2.texas.rr.com...

!