GF 6800 GT vs GF 6800 Ultra

Hi,
can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I have
heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?

I wait for ssome links, but if u have one of this two cards, please, say
what u think, what are the results in new games (doom 3, fracry).

Byru

> can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I have
> heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?
Yes.

> I wait for ssome links, but if u have one of this two cards, please, say
> what u think, what are the results in new games (doom 3, fracry).
Save the 100$ and get the GT - same card, clocken slightly slower.

"Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I
have
> > heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?
> Yes.
>
> > I wait for ssome links, but if u have one of this two cards, please, say
> > what u think, what are the results in new games (doom 3, fracry).
> Save the 100$ and get the GT - same card, clocken slightly slower.

yes, that is what i have heard already, but maybe u know some pages that can
proove that :D

Byru

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"byru" <mbyrczek@poczta.wp.pl> wrote in message

> "Nicolai" <emailxyznifo@fogh.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I
> have
> > > heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?
> > Yes.
> >
> > > I wait for ssome links, but if u have one of this two cards, please,
say
> > > what u think, what are the results in new games (doom 3, fracry).
> > Save the 100$ and get the GT - same card, clocken slightly slower.
> >
> yes, that is what i have heard already, but maybe u know some pages that
can
> proove that :D
>
> Byru

Its the same *architecture*. But to say its the same card is a little
misleading. First of all the Ultra has a different power supply arrangement
to get more current to the GPU to maintain the higher clock speeds. It has
twin molex connectors and more "beefy" voltage regulation circuitry. It
provides 1.4v to the GPU (as opposed to 1.3v on the GT) and since this
generates more heat, it has a larger and more powerful heatsink/fan. And it
also uses 1.6ns memory instead of the 2.0ns memory found on the GT's.

Having said all that, a GT clocked at the same speed as an Ultra will run at
the same speed. They are the smae architecture and in that respect, the 2
cards are "the same".

If you want benchmarks, 5 seconds with google will provide you with all the
details you want.

Chip

byru wrote:

> Hi,
> can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I have
> heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?

No. I have tested both extensively in my computer. The difference is
12-21% depending on the game.

Jeff B

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Jeff B" <not@this.com> wrote in message

> byru wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > can you ghive me some statistics and comparison of this two cards. I
have
> > heard that Ultra is only a few percent faster. is that right?
>
> No. I have tested both extensively in my computer. The difference is
> 12-21% depending on the game.
>
> Jeff B

Probably true. But it will be less if you overclock the GT. Nearly all
GT's will do 400MHz and many will do 425MHz or maybe even a little more.
Thats a 50MHz to 75MHz overclock compared to stock. Of course you can
overclock the Ultras too, but I don't think you will get a 50 ~ 75MHz
overclock out of them without a *very* strong PSU and some serious cooling.

So perhaps in reality you might be comparing a GT that will do maybe 405MHz
with an Ultra that will do maybe 425MHz. I suspect the difference is rather
less than 12% in that case.

Chip