General PSU Question

Slight off topic, but I'm not all that familiar with other Usenet
groups...

I have a generic 300W PSU, and currently integrated nVidia graphics. I
want to upgrade to either a 5900XT or possibly if can justify it, a
6800GT (I know there's a big difference).

In either case I will need to upgrade the old PSU. In the UK I tend to
use ebuyer.co.uk, they have been very reliable, have user reviews of
products and are very price competitive. They have their own brand
PSUs, which I guess are badged generic ones. The difference in price
between these and branded PSUs (well, brands that I'm familiar with
anyway such as Antec) is huge - 5 times the price for a 450W model.

My question is - is there that much difference? I'm guessing the
difference is reliability and stability of current - and also a
consistent delivery of the stated power. But is it worth paying so
much more?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Seeing as you are in the UK, have you tried Maplins?
They sell Q-tec PSU units at a reasonable price.
I just put my excellent 450W version into my brothers pc and bought a new
550W version for mine as I'd fitted a new Aopen FX5900 that Ive had lying
around until a few other choice parts came my way.

The 550W was on offer at £39.99, has 2 fans to help extract warm air from
the case and plenty of molex connectors for drives/fans etc.
Like the 450W before it, it's been faultless.

chris

On 2004-08-23, Leodiensian <chrispoad@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Slight off topic, but I'm not all that familiar with other Usenet
> groups...
>
> I have a generic 300W PSU, and currently integrated nVidia graphics. I
> want to upgrade to either a 5900XT or possibly if can justify it, a
> 6800GT (I know there's a big difference).
>
> In either case I will need to upgrade the old PSU. In the UK I tend to
> use ebuyer.co.uk, they have been very reliable, have user reviews of
> products and are very price competitive. They have their own brand
> PSUs, which I guess are badged generic ones. The difference in price
> between these and branded PSUs (well, brands that I'm familiar with
> anyway such as Antec) is huge - 5 times the price for a 450W model.
>
> My question is - is there that much difference? I'm guessing the
> difference is reliability and stability of current - and also a
> consistent delivery of the stated power. But is it worth paying so
> much more?

Wattage isn't everything. Many cheaper high wattage PSUs perform worse
than high quality lower wattage ones in my experience. Look
for at least 18amps on the 12+ rail, and what sort of tolerances
the voltages are (should be no more than 5%). Also there's the noise
level, and number/type of connectors to consider of course. And how
pretty it is. ;)

Personally when I next upgrade my old gaming box I'll be using
a "Antec PSU True Blue 480w Blue Led Fan" from www.ebuyer.co.uk
Antec PSUs tend to be quiet, warm, but very reliable imo.

Unbranded PSUs are also like a lucky dip. ;) I'd tend to avoid
ebuyer's own brand of PSUs if you want a decent system. I noticed
some "Super Flower" ones, but I have no experience with them.

HTH

--
Linux Jay
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk

"Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote
> Look
> for at least 18amps on the 12+ rail

Apparently that's the ultra bare minimum if you're going Athlon 64, so it
might be cool to find one with a massive 12v, like some Enermax's.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"Chris" <karen.christiaan@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Seeing as you are in the UK, have you tried Maplins?
> They sell Q-tec PSU units at a reasonable price.
> I just put my excellent 450W version into my brothers pc and bought a new
> 550W version for mine as I'd fitted a new Aopen FX5900 that Ive had lying
> around until a few other choice parts came my way.
>
> The 550W was on offer at £39.99, has 2 fans to help extract warm air from
> the case and plenty of molex connectors for drives/fans etc.
> Like the 450W before it, it's been faultless.
>
> chris
>
> "Leodiensian" <chrispoad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Slight off topic, but I'm not all that familiar with other Usenet
>> groups...
>>
>> I have a generic 300W PSU, and currently integrated nVidia graphics. I
>> want to upgrade to either a 5900XT or possibly if can justify it, a
>> 6800GT (I know there's a big difference).
>>
>> In either case I will need to upgrade the old PSU. In the UK I tend to
>> use ebuyer.co.uk, they have been very reliable, have user reviews of
>> products and are very price competitive. They have their own brand
>> PSUs, which I guess are badged generic ones. The difference in price
>> between these and branded PSUs (well, brands that I'm familiar with
>> anyway such as Antec) is huge - 5 times the price for a 450W model.
>>
>> My question is - is there that much difference? I'm guessing the
>> difference is reliability and stability of current - and also a
>> consistent delivery of the stated power. But is it worth paying so
>> much more?

Qtec 550w are rated by peak, not the maximum sustained power they can
deliver. This particular model has a 12v rail typical for a "normal" 400W or
below. For low wattage and cheap psu, highpower models are quite good (sold
also as chieftec, ThermalTake, sirtec) they are rated 18a (with active pfc
regulation) on the 12v rail wich isn't that much, but it's more than enough
for a 5900 and a p4.

On 2004-08-23, Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:

> "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote
>> Look
>> for at least 18amps on the 12+ rail
>
> Apparently that's the ultra bare minimum if you're going Athlon 64, so it
> might be cool to find one with a massive 12v, like some Enermax's.

I seem to remember some Enermax's having up to 33amps on that rail
or something crazy like that. ;)

That True Blue 480W one I mentioned (basically the True Power series
with blue LEDs) supports 22amps at +12V I believe - which should be
enough for the future upgrades I think.

--

"Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> On 2004-08-23, Ed Light <nobody@nobody.there> wrote:
> >

> > "Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote
> >> Look
> >> for at least 18amps on the 12+ rail
> >
> > Apparently that's the ultra bare minimum if you're going Athlon 64, so
it
> > might be cool to find one with a massive 12v, like some Enermax's.
> >
> I seem to remember some Enermax's having up to 33amps on that rail
> or something crazy like that. ;)
>
> That True Blue 480W one I mentioned (basically the True Power series
> with blue LEDs) supports 22amps at +12V I believe - which should be
> enough for the future upgrades I think.

I don't know, but maybe with an athlon 64 flat out and a loaded pc with a
6800 ultra it wouldn't.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

How much is having a working stable computer worth to you?

--
DaveW

"Leodiensian" <chrispoad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Slight off topic, but I'm not all that familiar with other Usenet
> groups...
>
> I have a generic 300W PSU, and currently integrated nVidia graphics. I
> want to upgrade to either a 5900XT or possibly if can justify it, a
> 6800GT (I know there's a big difference).
>
> In either case I will need to upgrade the old PSU. In the UK I tend to
> use ebuyer.co.uk, they have been very reliable, have user reviews of
> products and are very price competitive. They have their own brand
> PSUs, which I guess are badged generic ones. The difference in price
> between these and branded PSUs (well, brands that I'm familiar with
> anyway such as Antec) is huge - 5 times the price for a 450W model.
>
> My question is - is there that much difference? I'm guessing the
> difference is reliability and stability of current - and also a
> consistent delivery of the stated power. But is it worth paying so
> much more?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"BelaLvgosi" <none@none.com> wrote in message

> Qtec 550w are rated by peak, not the maximum sustained power they can
> deliver. This particular model has a 12v rail typical for a "normal" 400W
or
> below. For low wattage and cheap psu, highpower models are quite good
(sold
> also as chieftec, ThermalTake, sirtec) they are rated 18a (with active pfc
> regulation) on the 12v rail wich isn't that much, but it's more than
enough
> for a 5900 and a p4.

p4! no thx!!! xp2500 @ 2300MHz on the ole abit nf7s morelike!

chris (