MSI NX6800 and corrupt BIOS POST screen

Hi Guys

I just got my MSI NX6800 vanila GF6 6800 today. Unfortunately, on power
up, the POST screen is corrupted with a blocky square effect as is the
BIOS and windows boot screens. The card has a fan speed control which
doesn't seem to make things better at all.

My specs are:

P4 Northwood 2.4 GHz,
1 GB DDR266,
i845D chipset MSI mobo.
SB Audigy
Happauge WinTV
Realtek NIC
2x IDE Hard-disks
DVD ROM
CDRW
350 W Tsunami PSU.

Putting in my old GF FX 5600 works fine. I suspect 'tis either my PSU
being underpowered ( for Text modes for the BIOS seems unbelievable! )
or the card has faulty memory.

Any ideas before I try to RMA the card?

Cheers
Sharanga

everybody has that problem with those cards. It seems that all of
them have bad memory. ship it back to the seller.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:15:45 +0000, Sharanga Dayananda wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I just got my MSI NX6800 vanila GF6 6800 today. Unfortunately, on power
> up, the POST screen is corrupted with a blocky square effect as is the
> BIOS and windows boot screens. The card has a fan speed control which
> doesn't seem to make things better at all.
>
> My specs are:
>
> P4 Northwood 2.4 GHz,
> 1 GB DDR266,
> i845D chipset MSI mobo.
> SB Audigy
> Happauge WinTV
> Realtek NIC
> 2x IDE Hard-disks
> DVD ROM
> CDRW
> 350 W Tsunami PSU.
>
> Putting in my old GF FX 5600 works fine. I suspect 'tis either my PSU
> being underpowered ( for Text modes for the BIOS seems unbelievable! )
> or the card has faulty memory.
>
> Any ideas before I try to RMA the card?
>
> Cheers
> Sharanga

tool

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe, but then again, doesn't this card take an extra power cable to
connect it straight to the power supply? Cause I thought they
recommended 480Watt power supplies as a MINIMUM for using those
cards.

==============

The vanilla 6800 takes a single PSU connector, which I've connected. The
machine doesn't boot without this connector plugged in. But I'm not sure
whether the machine would have a garbled POST screen and a totally
unreadable BIOS screen on power up and a weird horizontal and vertical
line artifacted Windows boot screen.

Tool wrote:

> Maybe, but then again, doesn't this card take an extra power cable to
> connect it straight to the power supply? Cause I thought they
> recommended 480Watt power supplies as a MINIMUM for using those
> cards.

> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
The manufacturer's site recommends a minimum of 350W.