Another 6800 power supply related question.

I see people talking about using a dedicated power supply dongle for their
6800 connection, but so far, I've yet to see official documentation from
manufacturers (like BFG) saying this. The official BFG documentation says
that for cards that use two power connectors (like the 6800 Ultra), you
cannot split a single power supply connection between the two connectors on
a card, but that you CAN share each of the two power supply cables used with
OTHER devices. Are people just misinterpreting this rule, or have some
people actually run into issues by not using a 100% dedicated dongle for
their 6800 power connections?

Thanks,

Larry

"Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>I see people talking about using a dedicated power supply dongle for their
> 6800 connection, but so far, I've yet to see official documentation from
> manufacturers (like BFG) saying this. The official BFG documentation says
> that for cards that use two power connectors (like the 6800 Ultra), you
> cannot split a single power supply connection between the two connectors
> on
> a card, but that you CAN share each of the two power supply cables used
> with
> OTHER devices. Are people just misinterpreting this rule, or have some
> people actually run into issues by not using a 100% dedicated dongle for
> their 6800 power connections?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

It probably depends on the number of other devices. Sharing with
more than one other device may cause problems. I have a BFG 6800 ultra OC
I had to configure my system so one power connector was only shared with one
other device and the other on its own.
Since then I've added a supply so the BFG is powered by its own supply.

Jim M

one other device

> It probably depends on the number of other devices. Sharing with
> more than one other device may cause problems. I have a BFG 6800 ultra OC
> I had to configure my system so one power connector was only shared with
one
> other device and the other on its own.
> Since then I've added a supply so the BFG is powered by its own supply.
>
> Jim M
>
> one other device

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that you are running TWO power
supplies for one system?

You say you "had to" configure your system so the 6800 power connector
shared with only one device -- exactly what problems were you having such
that you found this necessary?

>> It probably depends on the number of other devices. Sharing with
>> more than one other device may cause problems. I have a BFG 6800 ultra OC
>> I had to configure my system so one power connector was only shared with
> one
>> other device and the other on its own.
>> Since then I've added a supply so the BFG is powered by its own supply.
>>
>> Jim M
>>
>> one other device
>
> I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that you are running TWO power
> supplies for one system?
>
> You say you "had to" configure your system so the 6800 power connector
> shared with only one device -- exactly what problems were you having such
> that you found this necessary?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Yes I'm running two supplies on one system.

At random times in windows my screen would
go blank and I would have to turn off my system
and restart it. After changing the power set up
I haven't had that problem.

Jim M

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes I'm running two supplies on one system.
>
> At random times in windows my screen would
> go blank and I would have to turn off my system
> and restart it. After changing the power set up
> I haven't had that problem.

What wattage PSU is powering the 6800UOC?, interesting configuration. GPU
having it's own dedicated PSU.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Yes I'm running two supplies on one system.
>>
>> At random times in windows my screen would
>> go blank and I would have to turn off my system
>> and restart it. After changing the power set up
>> I haven't had that problem.
>
> What wattage PSU is powering the 6800UOC?, interesting configuration. GPU
> having it's own dedicated PSU.

300 watts

This issue is way overblown. I've been tested my BFG6800u for weeks,
and it just doesn't matter how I split them off. I've used:
generic 300w
zalman 300w
tagan 480w
antec 430w

in all split-off/dongle configs, oced to 446/118 core/mem.
works fine .

Jeff B