GeForce 6800GT this card worth getting ?

I been told its a 16 pipeline card ?

Upgradeing froma Ati 9600 Pro, hows it comepare to the other new cards
from Ati And Nvidia ?

Thanks.

HELLO NURSE.
9 answers Last reply
More about geforce 6800gt card worth

    I got a 6800GT and i think its excellent !!
    "OCZ Guy" <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > I been told its a 16 pipeline card ?
    >
    > Upgradeing froma Ati 9600 Pro, hows it comepare to the other new cards
    > from Ati And Nvidia ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > HELLO NURSE.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    >If
    > you read up on all these new high end cards, they're almost exactly the
    > same
    > in benchmarks unless you take the resolution up to 1600x1200 and crank up
    > AA
    > and AF to max and then the NVIDIA cards pull ahead.

    Actually it's just the opposite. ATI pulls ahead at high-res + AA&AF in
    both Farcry and HL2. Doom3 looks more and more like an aberration, due
    mostly to its use of opengl. Doom3-engine games won't appear for at least a
    year if not 2 years, and are a non-factor.

    > The new ATI cards are not much more that rebuilt 9800 cards like the one I
    > have at home...The new ATI cards are
    > damn fast, but don't really bring anything new to the table other more raw
    > horsepower.

    Which is all that is needed for any game in the past and most if not all
    games in the forseeable future. There is some parallels here with the 32 vs
    16, Nvidia vs 3dfx, marketing battle in the past, where Nvidia got marketing
    points from claiming 32bit support, while in fact it was completely
    unusable.

    > As for pixel-shader 3.0. There will be 3 or 4 games out in the very near
    > future (a patch for FarCry to make it PS3, and the new Doom instantly come
    > to mind) and by Christmas, there will be a slew of new titles with it.

    The farcry patch still isn't officially out, nor does the beta SM30 path
    in the 1.2 patch add more than a few percent speed; ATI is significantly
    faster already; and the fabled 1.3 patch will presumably include HDR (sp?)
    and SM2.0b support, and thus I suspect ATI will be well ahead in Farcry for
    the forseeable future.

    As for Doom3, my information is that the Doom3 shaders are fairly
    simple, with no branching, and not long enough to benefit from SM30 anyway.
    Ultrashadow is already included, and thus little or no more improvement is
    to be looked for on the nvidia front. ATI has hardly started on their
    opengl rewrite, and I look for more improvement from them with this engine.

    > The reason ATI doesn't have PS3 on their cards is because the ATI cards
    > run
    > at 24 bit precision. PS3 requires 32 bit.

    I'm not certain this is even a correct statement, or if Nvidia cards are
    fast enough to use full 32bit for most games. Indeed, is 32bit visually
    noticeable vs 24bit in upcoming games that will appear before this
    generation of cards is obselete anyway? All of this is really debateable.

    > It took Nvidia 60 million new transistors to add better 32 bit and PS3
    > abilities. The ATI card would probably need to be redone completely to add
    > those....Because ATI doesn't even use
    > 32 bit right now, they'd need to ditch their 24 bit system and completely
    > replace it.

    There is plenty of reason to believe that PS3 and 32bit are mainly
    marketing points for Nvidia in this (and in previous) generation of cards,
    nor is there any evidence thus far that either PS3 or 32bit provide any
    benefit for the gamer that can't be duplicated with SM2.0b, and I suspect
    that full-time use of 32bit is prohibitive framerate-wise anyway and won't
    be used by most game makers until a newer generation of cards appears next
    year.

    I myself did in fact replace a 9700pro with a 6800GT, which I'm
    perfectly happy with (both farcry & doom3 run well at 1600x1200 -- but with
    AA & AF turned off -- on my system now), and it is definitely true that ATI
    left a performance/price hole inbetween the X800pro and the X800XT, that
    nvidia was able to exploit with the 6800GT. It's pretty clear to me that
    Nvidia has done a much better job of spacing out their new line of cards
    across the market than ATI has. However it's not clear to me that Nvidia
    has a real exploitable technological advantage over ATI in this present line
    of cards.

    rms

    See this benchmark: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146

    http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=6800gtx800pro12
    Another telling review.
    Games are already moving to PS3 and I'm betting Nvidia's support of Direct X
    9.0c (ATI does not support either) will mean if you are buying a video card
    right now and want one that will run the next gen of games better (including
    Doom 3 NOW), get the Nvidia. BUT beware you need to be sure to have a
    dedicated power cable from your power supply; in other words you can't split
    one of the cables to run a hard drive *and* your video card. To me this is
    no big deal but then I only have two hard drives in my system, a CD burner,
    and maybe two other devices that use power cables and my Antec True480 came
    with plenty of power cables.
    Oh and noise. In this review the Nvidia 6800 GT is louder than the tested
    ATi card.

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:25:02 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=6800gtx800pro12
    >Another telling review.
    >Games are already moving to PS3 and I'm betting Nvidia's support of Direct X
    >9.0c (ATI does not support either) will mean if you are buying a video card
    >right now and want one that will run the next gen of games better (including
    >Doom 3 NOW), get the Nvidia. BUT beware you need to be sure to have a
    >dedicated power cable from your power supply; in other words you can't split
    >one of the cables to run a hard drive *and* your video card. To me this is
    >no big deal but then I only have two hard drives in my system, a CD burner,
    >and maybe two other devices that use power cables and my Antec True480 came
    >with plenty of power cables.

    You can always put power-split adapters on the cable(s) NOT feeding
    the 6800GT/6800Ultra card. Around $2-$3 at Fry's.

    John Lewis

    >Oh and noise. In this review the Nvidia 6800 GT is louder than the tested
    >ATi card.

    Shader Model 3.0 titles that we can expect soon: Lord of the rings; Battle
    for Middle-Earth, Stalker, Vampire; Bloodlines, Splinter Cell X, Driver 3,
    Grafan, Painkiller, Far Cry and more...

    Comparison chart
    http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:30:26 +1000, OCZ Guy <ModenMr@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >I been told its a 16 pipeline card ?
    >
    >Upgradeing froma Ati 9600 Pro, hows it comepare to the other new cards
    >from Ati And Nvidia ?

    For Doom3, the 6800GT murders the ATI line... for HL2/COunterstrike2 -
    they are neck and neck...

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

    > You can always put power-split adapters on the cable(s) NOT feeding
    > the 6800GT/6800Ultra card. Around $2-$3 at Fry's.

    According to the official documentation, you CAN split the power between
    other devices and the 6800. What you officially CAN'T do is split a single
    power connector to both connections on a single card that has two
    connectors.

    I'm not claiming what will work or not work -- I'm just clarifying what the
    actual documentation I've seen says.

    Larry

Nvidia Geforce ATI Graphics