nVidia Windows Drivers "no sync" problem.

I have an nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128mb card, running on a Abit KG7 w/
an Athlon T-bird 1.4 GHz chip and 512mb ram. I run both windows xp pro
and gentoo linux on this machine. For a long time, everything has been
running fine (both in day to day apps and in games). My problems began
when I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 a few days ago.

My first time running the game, I cranked up the resolution to 1280x1024
(my LCD's default resolution), which caused the game to crash after
around 10 seconds, while still in the menus (ie not playing). This was
a hard crash, the machine needed to be reset. Strange, I thought, but
lowering to 1024x768 seemed for work fine. However, after a couple of
minutes of playing, the system froze again. Same deal after upgrading
to the current 61.77 (I believe the is the correct version) drivers.
Now, I'm thinking "heat issue", so I lower the resolution to 800x600,
which allows me to play flawlessly. I open up the case and put a large
fan right next to it (a trick I've used b/f), but still no higher
resolutions would work. Plus, my case temp was not abnormally high.

Anyway, life went on until about two days ago when I went to turn on my
machine (silly me for turning it off) and had the following problem:
windows seemed to boot normally, brining up the XP screen with the blue
bar, etc, until it came time to intialize the graphics drivers and dump
me to the login screen. Instead of doing so, the screen would go blank
for a few seconds, then the monitor would power down and report "no
sync". However, when I boot into safe mode in windows, the graphics
work fine. I uninstalled and retried several driver revisions from the
5x.xx series and even the 4x.xx series, with no luck. I tried upgrading
DirectX from Microsoft- no luck. I tried upgrading the Via chipset
drivers (from abit's site) with no luck. Keep in mind that, if I
uninstalled the video drivers and rebooted into windows using the
default VGA driver, the graphics worked flawlessly (still at 1280x1024,
just at the Windows desktop).

At first, I was scared my card had bit the dust, so I booted into linux,
which has the nvidia linux drivers installed. XWindows (from which I am
posting) starts up, no problem. So I figure to test it, I'll download
the UT2004 Linux demo and see if that runs. A large download later, I'm
playing the demo under Linux flawlessly, at 1280x900 (for whatever
reason, the linux version doesn't give me 1280x1024 as an option)- no
freezes like in the windows version. So, to the best of my knowledge,
the card is good, but Windows is having some strange problem that when
it tries to load the drivers it freezes the machine and my monitor
reports "no sync."

Some more notes about my machine, if they are of any help: I have both a
Tekram DC-390U2W SCSI controller and a Promise 100TX2 IDE controller
running their respective drives, along with an Aureal Vortex 2 sound
card. My boot sequence is to initialize the IDE controllers BIOS and
boot of an IDE drive into first the linux bootloader, and if then into
windows, the windows bootloader which in turn activiates the SCSI card
and boots of a SCSI partion. Not sure if any of this is helpful, but it
is a strange setup.

Anyway, does anyway have an advice for me? I think I may try some older
VIA drivers and see if that has any effect, but beyond that I'm really
at a loss as to what to do...

Thanks a ton for any wisdom!

-Blair
3 answers Last reply
More about nvidia windows drivers sync problem

    "none" <""blaircl\"@(none)"> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > Anyway, does anyway have an advice for me? I think I may try some older
    > VIA drivers and see if that has any effect, but beyond that I'm really
    > at a loss as to what to do...
    >
    > Thanks a ton for any wisdom!
    >
    > -Blair

    I always found my (Creative) Ti4400 to work most stably with the 40.72
    international drivers from nVidia and Dx8.1.
    Going to newer drivers didn't produce much of a performance increase for me
    and Dx9 made nearly all games hang back to the desktop.
    You may need to use a 3rd party utility to remove all traces of the nvidia
    drivers before installing new ones.

    Cant say much about Via drivers etc as mine was on a nforce2 board.

    chris

    Chris wrote:

    > I always found my (Creative) Ti4400 to work most stably with the 40.72
    > international drivers from nVidia and Dx8.1.
    > Going to newer drivers didn't produce much of a performance increase for me
    > and Dx9 made nearly all games hang back to the desktop.
    > You may need to use a 3rd party utility to remove all traces of the nvidia
    > drivers before installing new ones.
    >
    > Cant say much about Via drivers etc as mine was on a nforce2 board.
    >
    > chris

    Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately they were to no avail.

    I uninstalled my current drivers and used the first tool I found, Driver
    Cleaner 3.0, to remove the rest of the driver, then reinstalled the
    40.72 drivers per your suggestion. Same problem- startup, drop to "no
    sync," only with one small difference: it took longer (with the HD
    accessing in the bkgnd) to drop sync.

    A bit of quick research gave me no info on downgrading DirectX... is
    such a thing possible?

    Thanks again,
    -Blair, who doesn't want to reinstall XP... that would be a bitch that I
    don't need to deal with right now...

    > A bit of quick research gave me no info on downgrading DirectX... is
    > such a thing possible?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > -Blair, who doesn't want to reinstall XP... that would be a bitch that I
    > don't need to deal with right now...

    heh. nope, you cannot uninstall directX, you maybe able to use system
    restore to go back to a time when dx8.1 was installed. I have used a couple
    of DX uninstallers but none had any success all resulting in XP failing to
    load at all. You may hate the idea but a clean install may be the only way
    (and make sure you turn off auto-update!).

    By the way, have you made sure that the heatsink on the card is correctly
    installed? My creative card was ok but a few PNY gf4 cards I bought and
    sold had to have the HSF asssembly reseated as the plastic retaining pins
    were shot (and these were new cards!).

    chris

Nvidia Graphics