6800 GT blew up my 350W!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 25, 2004 10:49:52 PM

Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today with
a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the card
must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
similar.

More about : 6800 blew 350w

August 25, 2004 10:49:53 PM

"Steve" <steveswain@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today
with
> a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the
card
> must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
> similar.

What are the 12v-rail amp ratings for these power supplies?
August 25, 2004 10:49:53 PM

I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
cards....

==============
August 25, 2004 10:49:54 PM

No, its been revised down.

"Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
> cards....
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.
August 25, 2004 10:49:55 PM

"JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
> No, its been revised down.
>
> "Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> >I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
> > cards....

Any chance they revised it once they realized how many customers they would
lose?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 25, 2004 11:58:00 PM

On 2004-08-25, Steve <steveswain@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today with
> a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the card
> must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
> similar.

What make of PSU are each of them?

--
Linux Jay
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk

On 2004-08-25, Tool <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

> I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
> cards....

They did originally say that, for worst case scenarios. But a decent
make power supply with a lower power rating should be able to cope.

There is a link somewhere around with more information, anyone have it
handy?

--
Linux Jay
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
Ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which I will not put! - Yoda's High School English teacher.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 26, 2004 2:43:44 AM

On 2004-08-25, Linux Jay <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote:

> On 2004-08-25, Tool <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
>> cards....
>>
> They did originally say that, for worst case scenarios. But a decent
> make power supply with a lower power rating should be able to cope.
>
> There is a link somewhere around with more information, anyone have it
> handy?

I think it may have been http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10/news_6096837.ht...
or something like that.

--
Linux Jay
Penguin
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
Ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which I will not put! - Yoda's High School English teacher.
August 26, 2004 8:08:08 AM

"Steve" <steveswain@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today
with
> a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the
card
> must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
> similar.

You're lucky that's all it did. Last time a power supply went on me it took
out the m/b and the HDD.
August 26, 2004 7:35:50 PM

The 350W which was destroyed was...CTK PSU 350W ATX.

The new 500W PSU is a...Jeantech 500W ATX power supply.

I'm in over my head with voltages though, I'm afraid

"Linux Jay" <jamie@uranus.softham> wrote in message
> On 2004-08-25, Steve <steveswain@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >

> > Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today
with
> > a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the
card
> > must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
> > similar.
> >
> What make of PSU are each of them?
>
> --
> Linux Jay
> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> Ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which I will not
put! - Yoda's High School English teacher.
August 26, 2004 7:35:51 PM

"Steve" <stevehawkmoon-ng@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> The 350W which was destroyed was...CTK PSU 350W ATX.
>
> The new 500W PSU is a...Jeantech 500W ATX power supply.
>
> I'm in over my head with voltages though, I'm afraid

I just checked the Jeantech site - it looks like the 500W model provides 18
amps for the +12 volt rail. Whether that's enough will probably depend on
the type and number of components you have attached to the other 12 volt
connectors (fans, hard drives, etc). Does anyone know the wattage rating
for a 6800 GT?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 26, 2004 8:24:02 PM

On 25 Aug 2004 17:17:50 -0400,
dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (Tool) wrote:

>I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
>cards....

NO!!!

A GOOD 400watter or BETTER... A junky 500~600 watt is just as
useless as a 300watt PSU.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 26, 2004 10:41:03 PM

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Steve" <stevehawkmoon-ng@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The 350W which was destroyed was...CTK PSU 350W ATX.
> >
> > The new 500W PSU is a...Jeantech 500W ATX power supply.
> >
> > I'm in over my head with voltages though, I'm afraid
> >

> I just checked the Jeantech site - it looks like the 500W model provides
18
> amps for the +12 volt rail. Whether that's enough will probably depend on
> the type and number of components you have attached to the other 12 volt
> connectors (fans, hard drives, etc). Does anyone know the wattage rating
> for a 6800 GT?

At least 75W..
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 27, 2004 2:54:40 AM

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

> "Steve" <stevehawkmoon-ng@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > The 350W which was destroyed was...CTK PSU 350W ATX.
> >
> > The new 500W PSU is a...Jeantech 500W ATX power supply.
> >
> > I'm in over my head with voltages though, I'm afraid
> >

> I just checked the Jeantech site - it looks like the 500W model provides
18
> amps for the +12 volt rail. Whether that's enough will probably depend on
> the type and number of components you have attached to the other 12 volt
> connectors (fans, hard drives, etc). Does anyone know the wattage rating
> for a 6800 GT?

18A on a 500W psu , that sounds not like a really gooed one, my 360W Chieft
supplies 17A ready. A 480W Antec supplies 23A. But anyway, that 18A will
probably suffice.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 28, 2004 12:44:49 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 04:08:08 GMT, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net>
wrote:

>"Steve" <steveswain@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Yep, it's true, last night my power went pop. It has been replace today
>with
>> a 500W ATX so fingers crossed....The power connector on the back of the
>card
>> must be connected to power supply ONLY, no linking on to hard drive or
>> similar.
>
>You're lucky that's all it did. Last time a power supply went on me it took
>out the m/b and the HDD.

Ummm... assuming a reasonable selection of hard-disks (and
particularly if you are running any DVD-burners !! ) and a 3.0
GHz Intel CPU ( or equivalent AMD ), you will need at least
20 amps on the +12V rail for the 6800GT and 23 amps
for the 6800Ultra to be absolutely safe, particularly if you
intend to overclock either CPU or GPU or both....and even
more so if you decide to (unwisely) invest in a current-
generation Prescott P4.......

The above condition is regardless of total power supply
wattage !!

Personally, I have a FX5900 ( non-XT) overclocked, a 3GHz
P4 o/c'd to 3.3GHz, 4 hard-disks, 2 DVD-burners, and 17 amps
@ 12V available from my supply. My 12v sags occasionally
while playing GPU-intense titles ( with a power-warning from
the card-driver, with the card reverting to a low-power fail-safe
mode ) Reducing EITHER the CPU or GPU o/c lowers the
+12v power-consumption and stops the complaint.
Checked out the problem-area with my trusty voltmeter.
At least my power-supply (330 watt) current-limits gracefully
and doesn't smoke, but it sure pumps out lots of hot-air.

Time for a new power-supply.... minimum 23 amps@12v this
time, at least 450 watts, ready for a 6800GT( or Ultra) when
the price is right......

John Lewis
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 31, 2004 4:34:56 AM

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:35:50 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
<stevehawkmoon-ng@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>The 350W which was destroyed was...CTK PSU 350W ATX.
>
>The new 500W PSU is a...Jeantech 500W ATX power supply.
>
>I'm in over my head with voltages though, I'm afraid

A REAL 500watt PSU is about $120~200USD.

What is the TRUE MAX load of the PSU? The GOOD companies would have
this printed on the box. The bullshitters do not...

How much was the PSU?

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 31, 2004 2:47:39 PM

Another thing to remember is that in cheaper PSUs the rails aren't as separate
as they make out. Ie. you probably can't get maximum load on multiple rails at
the same time unless they really are separate rails. The Antec TruePower
series has separate rails I believe.

Also, power (in Watts) = voltage (in Volts) x current (in Amps)

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/index.htm is an interesting read about
power supplies.

--
Linux Jay
My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
A statesman who keeps his ear permanently glued to the ground will
have neither elegance of posture nor flexibility of movement. - Abba Eban
September 1, 2004 3:12:43 AM

That's a really useful page cheers - a friend of mine has similar issues to
me and that will be really useful.

> Another thing to remember is that in cheaper PSUs the rails aren't as
> separate
> as they make out. Ie. you probably can't get maximum load on multiple
> rails at
> the same time unless they really are separate rails. The Antec TruePower
> series has separate rails I believe.
>
> Also, power (in Watts) = voltage (in Volts) x current (in Amps)
>
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/index.htm is an interesting read
> about
> power supplies.
>
> --
> Linux Jay
> My Realm: http://www.myrealm.co.uk
> Eddie's Extensions: http://freshmeat.net/projects/eddie42
> A statesman who keeps his ear permanently glued to the ground will
> have neither elegance of posture nor flexibility of movement. - Abba Eban
September 3, 2004 1:26:40 PM

> "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > No, its been revised down.
> >
> > "Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > >I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
> > > cards....
> > >

> Any chance they revised it once they realized how many customers they
would
> lose?

I don't think they ever revised it down for GT's. Its always been 350w for
GT's.

Anyway, people are running GT's quite happily on 200w (or even lower!) power
supplies. The issue is whether the PSU is any good or not, not necessarily
what it says on the case.

Chip
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2004 7:08:16 PM

Hi

I have the LeadTek 6800GT, card is overclocked using the Nvidia drivers to
415, 1153, P4 3.0GHz overclocked to 3.4, Zalman fan on CPU, 2 hard drivers,
Samsung CDRW, Samsung DVD ROM, 1GB RAM, USB 2 scanner (gets power through
the USB port) all running on a 300W power supply that came in my no-name
brand case. I was going to upgrade my power supply but it does not seem
necessary, been playing Doom 3 for hours with no problems

Regards

Brett

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > No, its been revised down.
> >
> > "Tool" <dragonarcher@adelphia-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > >I swear it said you must use a 480Watt or better PSU with those
> > > cards....
> > >

> Any chance they revised it once they realized how many customers they
would
> lose?

I don't think they ever revised it down for GT's. Its always been 350w for
GT's.

Anyway, people are running GT's quite happily on 200w (or even lower!) power
supplies. The issue is whether the PSU is any good or not, not necessarily
what it says on the case.

Chip
September 3, 2004 7:08:17 PM

"PurSpyk!!" <brettp@knowbase.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have the LeadTek 6800GT, card is overclocked using the Nvidia drivers to
> 415, 1153, P4 3.0GHz overclocked to 3.4, Zalman fan on CPU, 2 hard
drivers,
> Samsung CDRW, Samsung DVD ROM, 1GB RAM, USB 2 scanner (gets power through
> the USB port) all running on a 300W power supply that came in my no-name
> brand case. I was going to upgrade my power supply but it does not seem
> necessary, been playing Doom 3 for hours with no problems

Exactly. I have seen people running GT's in Shuttles with 250w PSU's with
no probs at all. I have even seen someone running a GT successfully in a
system with a 150w (yes, 150w!) PSU.

Chip
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 3, 2004 7:08:18 PM

It depends on what the system + Card is pulling on each rail, and what the
psu has available on each rail. psu's are so different, wattage rating
doesn't mean much.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-n...

http://takaman.jp/D/?english

Also, beware, people are saying you need 18-20amps minimum for an athlon 64.
So maybe it's best to get a psu with a massive 12v rail. Like in the 30's.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\