Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel - P4 big price drop

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Intel
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 10:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.

I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.

The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
move.

John Lewis

More about : intel big price drop

August 25, 2004 10:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:


>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>move.
>
>John Lewis

EE is expensive to make (yields are low) and nobody is buying them.
Ed
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 10:56:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:22:48 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:


>The prices online stores charge are closely related to the wholesale
>price they buy the goods for. If they just bought 1000 CPU's at the
>old price and only make a small percentage profit, then they will lose
>a load of money if they suddenly drop the retail price by $100 or
>whatever. When they buy in new stock from Intel, then they can reduce
>their retail price.

It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
old prices after a manufacturer's price cut. It's like X-Box and
Playstation console systems, once they announce a price drop people
pay the new price and not yesterdays prices, old stock or not.
Related resources
August 25, 2004 11:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>
>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>
>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>
>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>move.
>
>John Lewis
>
>
>
Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.

Pluvious
August 26, 2004 2:42:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
wrote:

>It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
>the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
>within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
>old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.

Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote
> Who (apart
> from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?

I hate to be picky, Andrew, but this:

>When they buy in new stock from Intel, then they can reduce
>their retail price.

certainly seems to imply that.

I don't know why people seem to think that large etailers like newegg work
on such a small profit margin. Some of the smaller companies with a hand
full of employees are on tight margins, but the larger ones try to average
about 50% gross profit (100% markup). Small items like adapter cables (molex
splitters) may cost them under 50 cents and they sell them for 4 or 5 bucks.
On larger items they may only make 40% profit. Other large items like RPTVs
and appliances have 100% markup (or more for white goods), but are usually
run on sale. A couple years ago I bought a 50" Toshiba HDTV from Sears. It
retailed for $2500. With price matching and storewide discounts, I bought it
for $1633. I know for a fact that Sears paid under $1300 for it, delivered.
I was in retailing for years. Starting as a manager for Endicott Johnson, 7
years as a Radio Shack store manager, 4 years with Toro, and 7 years with my
own store before I sold it.
Let's take an example that most of us are familiar with, like the VGA
Silencer that many bought a few months ago for their nVidia or ATI cards.
Let's assume that, like most products of this type, it was made in China.
Someone (a small US or Euro company) brings the idea to a Chinese
manufacturer.(China today is like Japan of the 50's and 60's, but without
the attitude problem.) There it's designed and priced. The item is then
shipped to the company for about $4. I'd be surprised if it cost 5. The
company sells it on their website for a retail price of $22. They also sell
it to distributors and large retailers/etailers for about $10. A small
retailer buys from the distributor for about $15 (sometimes known as a
"jobber's" price). He's pretty much stuck with selling at retail. The large
companies will perform a (sometimes ongoing) price/movement analysis to
figure out which price to sell it at to maximize their profit. Competition
from other large retailers has a big affect on this price. They want to
capture the largest market share possible, but make as much money on the
item as they can. They have to find the sweet spot. So, the etailer may
decide the best price is $21, where they can sell 100 Silencers a day. At
$22 they lose a large market share to other large and small retailers, and
at $20 they're just throwing away profit because it won't increase sales
that much. Usually the price will be less than retail, but of course, as we
can see now, they can sell items like the NV5 Silencer for double the retail
price and still sell out of them.

The rule of thumb is, if you can't make at least 10% NET profit (that's
after expenses), you're better off investing your money. I hear Google is
doing very well :-)

Gary


--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com
August 26, 2004 5:00:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
> On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
> averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>
> I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
> on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
> contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
> keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>
> The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
> move.
>
> John Lewis

I've noticed a couple of drops in the last two weeks already. If they
drop anymore than they already have, I might as well upgrade.
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:40:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>
>>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>>
>>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>>
>>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>>move.
>>
>>John Lewis
>>
>>
>>
>Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
>price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
>online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
>
>Pluvious
>
>


Yes !!

Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
Intel processors:-

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

John Lewis
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 3:29:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) meeped :

>
>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>
>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>
>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>move.
>
>John Lewis
>
>
>

mmm...I wondeered why the 3.4ghz had suddenly dropped below 200 quid.
--


) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )
/ __ _ (/ _ /---( __ _/_ _
/ (_(_/ (_(__/ )_(_(_ ) / ____)(_(_/ (_(__/_)_
(______) (_/ (
August 26, 2004 8:41:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:40:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>>>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>>>
>>>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>>>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>>>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>>>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>>>
>>>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>>>move.
>>>
>>>John Lewis
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
>>price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
>>online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
>>
>>Pluvious
>>
>>
>
>
>Yes !!
>
>Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
>Intel processors:-
>
>http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
>
>John Lewis
>


Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.

Pluvious
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 9:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Nice to hear good info from a Proffessional !

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
news:2p57oiFh1bo0U1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote
>> Who (apart
>> from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
>
> I hate to be picky, Andrew, but this:
>
>>When they buy in new stock from Intel, then they can reduce
>>their retail price.
>
> certainly seems to imply that.
>
> I don't know why people seem to think that large etailers like newegg work
> on such a small profit margin. Some of the smaller companies with a hand
> full of employees are on tight margins, but the larger ones try to average
> about 50% gross profit (100% markup). Small items like adapter cables
> (molex
> splitters) may cost them under 50 cents and they sell them for 4 or 5
> bucks.
> On larger items they may only make 40% profit. Other large items like
> RPTVs
> and appliances have 100% markup (or more for white goods), but are usually
> run on sale. A couple years ago I bought a 50" Toshiba HDTV from Sears. It
> retailed for $2500. With price matching and storewide discounts, I bought
> it
> for $1633. I know for a fact that Sears paid under $1300 for it,
> delivered.
> I was in retailing for years. Starting as a manager for Endicott Johnson,
> 7
> years as a Radio Shack store manager, 4 years with Toro, and 7 years with
> my
> own store before I sold it.
> Let's take an example that most of us are familiar with, like the VGA
> Silencer that many bought a few months ago for their nVidia or ATI cards.
> Let's assume that, like most products of this type, it was made in China.
> Someone (a small US or Euro company) brings the idea to a Chinese
> manufacturer.(China today is like Japan of the 50's and 60's, but without
> the attitude problem.) There it's designed and priced. The item is then
> shipped to the company for about $4. I'd be surprised if it cost 5. The
> company sells it on their website for a retail price of $22. They also
> sell
> it to distributors and large retailers/etailers for about $10. A small
> retailer buys from the distributor for about $15 (sometimes known as a
> "jobber's" price). He's pretty much stuck with selling at retail. The
> large
> companies will perform a (sometimes ongoing) price/movement analysis to
> figure out which price to sell it at to maximize their profit. Competition
> from other large retailers has a big affect on this price. They want to
> capture the largest market share possible, but make as much money on the
> item as they can. They have to find the sweet spot. So, the etailer may
> decide the best price is $21, where they can sell 100 Silencers a day. At
> $22 they lose a large market share to other large and small retailers, and
> at $20 they're just throwing away profit because it won't increase sales
> that much. Usually the price will be less than retail, but of course, as
> we
> can see now, they can sell items like the NV5 Silencer for double the
> retail
> price and still sell out of them.
>
> The rule of thumb is, if you can't make at least 10% NET profit (that's
> after expenses), you're better off investing your money. I hear Google is
> doing very well :-)
>
> Gary
>
>
> --
>
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:43:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Yeah check out tomshardware new write up on the new s939 boards.
Dual ddr400 blows any Intel chip, or should I say girl guide biscuit away.

Also you get buffer protection in xp plus native 64bit mode if you like
playing with linux etc.

Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what your
12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.

Ok, so maybe a little hardcore, but if you have got this far then you can
read toms new review and make your own mind up :]

Rich

"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:412cdf14.6315280@news.verizon.net...
>
> On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
> averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>
> I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
> on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
> contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
> keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>
> The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
> move.
>
> John Lewis
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Ok so I got it all wrong, well at least part of it.. The site is Anandtech

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

"It was difficult to resist being a little sensationalist in this 939
roundup and titling the review, "Who needs 925X?" That would have been a
fair title, however, since you can clearly see that all of the Socket
939/FX53 boards completely outperform Intel's top 560 on the top 925X
motherboard. Even Media Encoding, the last bastion of Intel dominance, is
now a dead heat with the new AutoGK benchmark. "



"news.easynet.co.uk" <Rich@spam.nob> wrote in message
news:412e75bc$0$20424$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk...
> Yeah check out tomshardware new write up on the new s939 boards.
> Dual ddr400 blows any Intel chip, or should I say girl guide biscuit away.
>
> Also you get buffer protection in xp plus native 64bit mode if you like
> playing with linux etc.
>
> Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what
> your 12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.
>
> Ok, so maybe a little hardcore, but if you have got this far then you can
> read toms new review and make your own mind up :]
>
> Rich
>
> "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:412cdf14.6315280@news.verizon.net...
>>
>> On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>> averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>>
>> I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>> on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>> contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>> keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>>
>> The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>> move.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:51:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:41:32 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:40:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
>>>>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
>>>>
>>>>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
>>>>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
>>>>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
>>>>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
>>>>
>>>>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>>>>move.
>>>>
>>>>John Lewis
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
>>>price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
>>>online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
>>>
>>>Pluvious
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>Yes !!
>>
>>Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
>>Intel processors:-
>>
>>http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
>>
>>John Lewis
>>
>
>
>Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
>a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.
>

Prescott ? Don't !!! Unless you want a furnace in your PC
and limited overclock without water-cooling.

See http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp

for the necessary spec-comparisons.

Maybe Intel will have solved their 90nm leakage problems
early next year.

See www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com
re Prescott vs Northwood.

I shall be buying a 3.2C/800 and overclocking probably
to not more than 3.4-3.5GHz. Will still run lots cooler
than a 3.4 Prescott. ( Currently, I have a 3.06/533
o/c'd to 3.35 GHz that I will be passing on to another
machine )

John Lewis


>Pluvious
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:55:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Actually, you are incorrect. Intel publishes pricing roadmaps a few
months in advance, and all of their major customers and OEMs know LONG
in advance when prices will be cut (and to what). These are often
leaked to the trade press and published, most often at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/




Andrew wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
> wrote:
>
>
>>It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
>>the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
>>within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
>>old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.
>
>
> Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
> the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
> have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
> from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:55:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Actually, you are incorrect. Intel publishes pricing roadmaps a few
months in advance, and all of their major customers and OEMs know LONG
in advance when prices will be cut (and to what). These are often
leaked to the trade press and published, most often at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/




Andrew wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
> wrote:
>
>
>>It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
>>the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
>>within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
>>old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.
>
>
> Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
> the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
> have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
> from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 6:23:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"news.easynet.co.uk" wrote
> Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what
your
> 12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.


Hmmmmmmm!

How old are you exactly?
--
Wayne ][
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 2:12:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
news:eeqpi0hbs178n0hm3gmpbfujjr31icne4u@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>
>
>>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
>>move.
>>
>>John Lewis
>
> EE is expensive to make (yields are low) and nobody is buying them.
> Ed
>

No one is buying them? But.. Toms Hardware gave it such glowing
praise...
August 28, 2004 11:14:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:51:59 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>
>>>Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
>>>Intel processors:-
>>>
>>>http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
>>>
>>>John Lewis
>>>
>>
>>
>>Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
>>a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.
>>
>
>Prescott ? Don't !!! Unless you want a furnace in your PC
>and limited overclock without water-cooling.
>
>See http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp
>
>for the necessary spec-comparisons.
>
>Maybe Intel will have solved their 90nm leakage problems
>early next year.
>
>See www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com
>re Prescott vs Northwood.
>
>I shall be buying a 3.2C/800 and overclocking probably
>to not more than 3.4-3.5GHz. Will still run lots cooler
>than a 3.4 Prescott. ( Currently, I have a 3.06/533
>o/c'd to 3.35 GHz that I will be passing on to another
>machine )
>
>John Lewis


Hmm.. you're right, the Prescott is not the one I want. I was blinded
by the 1 meg cache that is very appealing, but if it comes with extra
heat issues, I'll pass. I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. Guess I'll
max it out with the Northwood C instead. Thanks for the heads up. :) 

Pluvious

ps.. I should try to o/c this 2.6c up to 3.0 or so and see if I can
live with it. I tried once.. but since I didn't mess with the voltages
and ram timing it wasn't to stable. :(  I certainly got the right ram
for it.. XMS PC3200C2PT by Corsair.
!