Intel - P4 big price drop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.

I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.

The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
move.

John Lewis
18 answers Last reply
More about intel price drop
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >move.
    >
    >John Lewis

    EE is expensive to make (yields are low) and nobody is buying them.
    Ed
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:22:48 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    >The prices online stores charge are closely related to the wholesale
    >price they buy the goods for. If they just bought 1000 CPU's at the
    >old price and only make a small percentage profit, then they will lose
    >a load of money if they suddenly drop the retail price by $100 or
    >whatever. When they buy in new stock from Intel, then they can reduce
    >their retail price.

    It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
    the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
    within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
    old prices after a manufacturer's price cut. It's like X-Box and
    Playstation console systems, once they announce a price drop people
    pay the new price and not yesterdays prices, old stock or not.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    wrote:

    >On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    >averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >
    >I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    >on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    >contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    >keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >
    >The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >move.
    >
    >John Lewis

    Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
    price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
    online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.

    Pluvious
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
    wrote:

    >It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
    >the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
    >within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
    >old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.

    Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
    the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
    have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
    from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote
    > Who (apart
    > from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?

    I hate to be picky, Andrew, but this:

    >When they buy in new stock from Intel, then they can reduce
    >their retail price.

    certainly seems to imply that.

    I don't know why people seem to think that large etailers like newegg work
    on such a small profit margin. Some of the smaller companies with a hand
    full of employees are on tight margins, but the larger ones try to average
    about 50% gross profit (100% markup). Small items like adapter cables (molex
    splitters) may cost them under 50 cents and they sell them for 4 or 5 bucks.
    On larger items they may only make 40% profit. Other large items like RPTVs
    and appliances have 100% markup (or more for white goods), but are usually
    run on sale. A couple years ago I bought a 50" Toshiba HDTV from Sears. It
    retailed for $2500. With price matching and storewide discounts, I bought it
    for $1633. I know for a fact that Sears paid under $1300 for it, delivered.
    I was in retailing for years. Starting as a manager for Endicott Johnson, 7
    years as a Radio Shack store manager, 4 years with Toro, and 7 years with my
    own store before I sold it.
    Let's take an example that most of us are familiar with, like the VGA
    Silencer that many bought a few months ago for their nVidia or ATI cards.
    Let's assume that, like most products of this type, it was made in China.
    Someone (a small US or Euro company) brings the idea to a Chinese
    manufacturer.(China today is like Japan of the 50's and 60's, but without
    the attitude problem.) There it's designed and priced. The item is then
    shipped to the company for about $4. I'd be surprised if it cost 5. The
    company sells it on their website for a retail price of $22. They also sell
    it to distributors and large retailers/etailers for about $10. A small
    retailer buys from the distributor for about $15 (sometimes known as a
    "jobber's" price). He's pretty much stuck with selling at retail. The large
    companies will perform a (sometimes ongoing) price/movement analysis to
    figure out which price to sell it at to maximize their profit. Competition
    from other large retailers has a big affect on this price. They want to
    capture the largest market share possible, but make as much money on the
    item as they can. They have to find the sweet spot. So, the etailer may
    decide the best price is $21, where they can sell 100 Silencers a day. At
    $22 they lose a large market share to other large and small retailers, and
    at $20 they're just throwing away profit because it won't increase sales
    that much. Usually the price will be less than retail, but of course, as we
    can see now, they can sell items like the NV5 Silencer for double the retail
    price and still sell out of them.

    The rule of thumb is, if you can't make at least 10% NET profit (that's
    after expenses), you're better off investing your money. I hear Google is
    doing very well :-)

    Gary

    --

    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
    > On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    > averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >
    > I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    > on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    > contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    > keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >
    > The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    > move.
    >
    > John Lewis

    I've noticed a couple of drops in the last two weeks already. If they
    drop anymore than they already have, I might as well upgrade.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >

    >>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    >>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >>
    >>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    >>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    >>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    >>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >>
    >>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >>move.
    >>
    >>John Lewis
    >>

    >Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
    >price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
    >online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
    >
    >Pluvious

    Yes !!

    Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
    Intel processors:-

    http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

    John Lewis

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) meeped :

    >On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    >averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >
    >I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    >on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    >contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    >keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >
    >The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >move.
    >
    >John Lewis

    mmm...I wondeered why the 3.4ghz had suddenly dropped below 200 quid.
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:40:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    >>>averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >>>
    >>>I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    >>>on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    >>>contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    >>>keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >>>
    >>>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >>>move.
    >>>
    >>>John Lewis
    >>>

    >>Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
    >>price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
    >>online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
    >>
    >>Pluvious
    >>

    >Yes !!
    >
    >Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
    >Intel processors:-
    >
    >http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
    >
    >John Lewis

    Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
    a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.

    Pluvious
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Nice to hear good info from a Proffessional !

    "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > from other large retailers has a big affect on this price. They want to
    > capture the largest market share possible, but make as much money on the
    > item as they can. They have to find the sweet spot. So, the etailer may
    > decide the best price is $21, where they can sell 100 Silencers a day. At
    > $22 they lose a large market share to other large and small retailers, and
    > at $20 they're just throwing away profit because it won't increase sales
    > that much. Usually the price will be less than retail, but of course, as
    > we
    > can see now, they can sell items like the NV5 Silencer for double the
    > retail
    > price and still sell out of them.
    >
    > The rule of thumb is, if you can't make at least 10% NET profit (that's
    > after expenses), you're better off investing your money. I hear Google is

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Yeah check out tomshardware new write up on the new s939 boards.
    Dual ddr400 blows any Intel chip, or should I say girl guide biscuit away.

    Also you get buffer protection in xp plus native 64bit mode if you like
    playing with linux etc.

    Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what your
    12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.

    Ok, so maybe a little hardcore, but if you have got this far then you can
    read toms new review and make your own mind up :]

    Rich

    > On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    > averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >
    > I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    > on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    > contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    > keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >
    > The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    > move.
    >
    > John Lewis

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Ok so I got it all wrong, well at least part of it.. The site is Anandtech

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

    "It was difficult to resist being a little sensationalist in this 939
    roundup and titling the review, "Who needs 925X?" That would have been a
    fair title, however, since you can clearly see that all of the Socket
    939/FX53 boards completely outperform Intel's top 560 on the top 925X
    motherboard. Even Media Encoding, the last bastion of Intel dominance, is
    now a dead heat with the new AutoGK benchmark. "

    "news.easynet.co.uk" <Rich@spam.nob> wrote in message
    > Yeah check out tomshardware new write up on the new s939 boards.
    > Dual ddr400 blows any Intel chip, or should I say girl guide biscuit away.
    >
    > Also you get buffer protection in xp plus native 64bit mode if you like
    > playing with linux etc.
    >
    > Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what
    > your 12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.
    >
    > Ok, so maybe a little hardcore, but if you have got this far then you can
    > read toms new review and make your own mind up :]
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > "John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On 8/22/04 Intel announced price drops of their desktop P4 processors
    >> averaging ~ 25 %, both Prescott and Northwood.
    >>
    >> I notice that this price-drop has not yet rolled through to some
    >> on-line retailers yet, such as www.newegg.com............. If you are
    >> contemplating an Intel processor-purchase, you may want to
    >> keep your money in your pocket for a couple more weeks.
    >>
    >> The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >> move.
    >>
    >> John Lewis

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:41:32 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:40:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:54:15 GMT, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Care to share the link to the annoucment so I can see what kind of
    >>>price breaks we're talking about?.. It takes about a month for the
    >>>online stores to get the trickle down adjustments.
    >>>
    >>>Pluvious
    >>>

    >>Yes !!
    >>
    >>Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
    >>Intel processors:-
    >>
    >>http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
    >>
    >>John Lewis
    >>

    >Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
    >a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.

    Prescott ? Don't !!! Unless you want a furnace in your PC
    and limited overclock without water-cooling.

    See http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp

    for the necessary spec-comparisons.

    Maybe Intel will have solved their 90nm leakage problems
    early next year.

    See www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com
    re Prescott vs Northwood.

    I shall be buying a 3.2C/800 and overclocking probably
    to not more than 3.4-3.5GHz. Will still run lots cooler
    than a 3.4 Prescott. ( Currently, I have a 3.06/533
    o/c'd to 3.35 GHz that I will be passing on to another
    machine )

    John Lewis

    >Pluvious

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Actually, you are incorrect. Intel publishes pricing roadmaps a few
    months in advance, and all of their major customers and OEMs know LONG
    in advance when prices will be cut (and to what). These are often
    leaked to the trade press and published, most often at:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/

    Andrew wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
    >>the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
    >>within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
    >>old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.
    >

    > Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
    > the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
    > have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
    > from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:32:07 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>It doesn't work that way. That's the risk they have to take and not
    >>the customer. Buy only the amount of stock you think you will sell
    >>within a given time period. Only an idiot would buy their old stock at
    >>old prices after a manufacturer's price cut.
    >

    > Oh for crying out loud, are you really that dense? Of course they buy
    > the stock they think they can sell in a given time period, but they
    > have no idea when Intel are about to change their prices. Who (apart
    > from you) said anything about buying old stock at old prices?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "news.easynet.co.uk" wrote
    > Oh perhaps you are a feeble microsoft ME user and just want to do what
    your
    > 12yr old girlfriend says and buy Intel like her fag dad.

    Hmmmmmmm!

    How old are you exactly?
    --
    Wayne ][
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:56:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The prices of all versions of the P4 Extreme-edition did NOT
    >>move.
    >>
    >>John Lewis
    >
    > EE is expensive to make (yields are low) and nobody is buying them.
    > Ed

    No one is buying them? But.. Toms Hardware gave it such glowing
    praise...
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:51:59 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >>>Bookmark this URL if you build/upgrade PCs using
    >>>Intel processors:-
    >>>
    >>>http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/
    >>>
    >>>John Lewis
    >>>

    >>Thanks.. Looks like I'm getting close to upgrading already. I just got
    >>a 2.6c 800fsb about 4 months ago. Thinking I'll get a 3.4E next time.
    >>

    >Prescott ? Don't !!! Unless you want a furnace in your PC
    >and limited overclock without water-cooling.
    >
    >See http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp
    >
    >for the necessary spec-comparisons.
    >
    >Maybe Intel will have solved their 90nm leakage problems
    >early next year.
    >
    >See www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com
    >re Prescott vs Northwood.
    >
    >I shall be buying a 3.2C/800 and overclocking probably
    >to not more than 3.4-3.5GHz. Will still run lots cooler
    >than a 3.4 Prescott. ( Currently, I have a 3.06/533
    >o/c'd to 3.35 GHz that I will be passing on to another
    >machine )
    >
    >John Lewis

    Hmm.. you're right, the Prescott is not the one I want. I was blinded
    by the 1 meg cache that is very appealing, but if it comes with extra
    heat issues, I'll pass. I have a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. Guess I'll
    max it out with the Northwood C instead. Thanks for the heads up. :)

    Pluvious

    ps.. I should try to o/c this 2.6c up to 3.0 or so and see if I can
    live with it. I tried once.. but since I didn't mess with the voltages
    and ram timing it wasn't to stable. :( I certainly got the right ram
    for it.. XMS PC3200C2PT by Corsair.

Nvidia Intel Graphics